Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 4:36 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguin in Bondage
PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 8:17 pm 

$7 for one track!!!! Is the excuse because of the lenght? If so, I'd hate to see what The Allman Brothers are charging for Mountain Jam!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:51 am 

I ask again, is there an alternative to iTunes?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 3:57 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:

The cover has a Ren & Stimpy look to it. Did John Kricfalusi do it?

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:52 am 

tweezers wrote:
I ask again, is there an alternative to iTunes?

Per this FZ track? Not legitamtely, no.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 5:58 am 

bummer, I guess I will get it, but I like the Windows Media Player (all my hard drive is that way....but ).

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:40 am 

tweezers wrote:
bummer, I guess I will get it, but I like the Windows Media Player (all my hard drive is that way....but ).

when u install itune dont make it main player, unless it will mess up all your music files on window player. i did this mistake the last time and had to delete all files in double. :roll:

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:53 am 

I follow you Zut (and I was sure to not check that box that would have made the iTunes the main player), but what I wonder, can I download from iTunes and make the file a windows file, or do I just have to leave the individual file as an iTunes file.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:57 am 

yes u can i just did :)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:02 am 

very good, you are a big help, so I will download this this weekend.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:23 pm 

Soracha wrote:
RogerDaltreysCape wrote:
Thanks,

Maybe this is a tease for something bigger? .... after all, the part near the end of Penguin in Bondage is from the ROXY LP!!

Where? Before the story? Give us the digits!

6:52 to 7:34 is from Roxy & Elsewhere LP (did not play them side by side, but I trust my ear)

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:22 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
The only thing that pisses me off is an iTunes thing. I just paid $11.99AU for this little sucker at a time when the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar.

Wow, that does suck! Are most items in iTunes completely over-priced in Oz then?

I've told this story elsewhere, but one weekend I decided to get with the 21st century and download a whole bunch of stuff instead of going down my usual ordering of CDs route and discovered I couldn't download from the US or the UK because of territory rules (totally sucks of course, so much for "free" enterprise). Then I discovered the prices of downloads at iTunes in OZ are just ridiculous. So I ended up buying four CDs from Amazon UK, got free postage and ended up paying less than I would have for the downloads. Absurd. I'm an Apple Computer fan, but they can take their iTunes OZ store and hang it in their ass.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:27 pm 

polydigm wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
The only thing that pisses me off is an iTunes thing. I just paid $11.99AU for this little sucker at a time when the Australian dollar is worth more than the US dollar.

Wow, that does suck! Are most items in iTunes completely over-priced in Oz then?

I've told this story elsewhere, but one weekend I decided to get with the 21st century and download a whole bunch of stuff instead of going down my usual ordering of CDs route and discovered I couldn't download from the US or the UK because of territory rules (totally sucks of course, so much for "free" enterprise). Then I discovered the prices of downloads at iTunes in OZ are just ridiculous. So I ended up buying four CDs from Amazon UK, got free postage and ended up paying less than I would have for the downloads. Absurd. I'm an Apple Computer fan, but they can take their iTunes OZ store and hang it in their ass.

In light of the recent release of Penguin In Bondage through iTunes, this is appropriately ironic.... :mrgreen:

Apple approves prostitution-friendly app

http://digitallife.today.com/_news/2011 ... ?gt1-43001

After June 1, it'll be possible to hire a prostitute using an iPhone app.

According to ZDNet, dating service Sugar Sugar has managed to get Apple to grant its app a spot in the App Store. The curious thing about this news is that Sugar Sugar is not an ordinary dating service. Instead of putting together people who are simply seeking traditional relationships, it links up sugar daddies — wealthy men who are willing to shower young women with money, gifts, and other compensation in exchange for companionship — and their so-called sugar babies.

In more blunt terms: The service helps prostitutes and their clients connect.

We've certainly heard about such services in the past — WhatsYourPrice.com, Craigslist's darker corners, and an assortment of shady "dating" websites come to mind — but Sugar Sugar's app is headed to Apple's App Store, a place known for its strict guidelines and approval process:

The SugarSugar Dating App will be available for download on June 1st through SugarSugar.com and iTunes, and will be compatible with iPhone, iPod touch, iPad, Android, and BlackBerry devices. The app will use GPS technology to instantly identify those seeking ‘mutually beneficial’ arrangements within the user’s vicinity. After ‘checking in, the application will map out the profiles of nearby members. Users will be able to trade stats, show photos or send messages to arrange an effortless rendezvous.

yikes :| there's an app for that?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 4:35 am 

Fuck iTunes!

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:51 am 

recordhead wrote:
$7 for one track!!!! Is the excuse because of the lenght? If so, I'd hate to see what The Allman Brothers are charging for Mountain Jam!

$7 for 26 minutes of content isn't that crazy. Thick as a Brick is only two tracks. Should it just cost $2?

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:16 am 

If you desperately need it, then buy it. If you don't need it, simply don't buy it. I don't need it, so I won't buy it. For whatever price. A good version of Penguin In Bondage from that era is already there (on R&E), and it was the artist himself who did the choice. What else does the world need?

Let's get down to the essence of Frank's legacy and forget about all those alternate versions and second hand concert take-outs that didn't make it for a release because HE had the choice back then.

Respect the artist!

Th.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 8:46 am 

Thinman wrote:
If you desperately need it, then buy it. If you don't need it, simply don't buy it. I don't need it, so I won't buy it. For whatever price. A good version of Penguin In Bondage from that era is already there (on R&E), and it was the artist himself who did the choice. What else does the world need?

Let's get down to the essence of Frank's legacy and forget about all those alternate versions and second hand concert take-outs that didn't make it for a release because HE had the choice back then.

Respect the artist!

Th.

So by purchasing this product, I have disrespected Frank? :mrgreen:

I hear you, loud and clear, Thinman. My only "argument" would be to point out that this is a much longer version of PiB and, my opinion of course, it's freakin' sweeeeet! :smoke:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:18 am 

Just bought it and gave it a listen. It's good, but I doubt I'll really go out of my way to listen to it again. There are far worse ways to spend $7.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 9:23 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
There are far worse ways to spend $7.

PiB likes this! :)

Image Image

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:13 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
Just bought it and gave it a listen. It's good, but I doubt I'll really go out of my way to listen to it again. There are far worse ways to spend $7.
my Itune tell me i am at my 14th shot 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 12:09 pm 

Clean and Efficient...ehhhhhhhh.............PLOOK Me now!!!!

THANK YOU!!!

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2011 6:52 pm 

Frank at his smarmiest, not my favorite version of Frank. Nothing new or exciting - for the money - its up to you. I enjoyed listening to it.
Won't return to it anytime soon. I've spent 7 bucks on worse and better things. NOTE: This history is not so unknown. If you've read any Zappa
biography you already know the story. Not particularly better told here. the music is wonderful but once the story starts it's sort of tied to the tale,
so to speak.

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2011 2:31 pm 

£4 quid not no problem :D

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:08 pm 

I'm just relieved iTunes gave it a Parental Advisory sticker and marked it 'Explicit'. I'm finally able to buy a Zappa product safe in the knowledge that Apple have given it a rudeness rating.

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 11:55 am 

evildick wrote:
I'm just relieved iTunes gave it a Parental Advisory sticker and marked it 'Explicit'. I'm finally able to buy a Zappa product safe in the knowledge that Apple have given it a rudeness rating.

I noticed that too, fucking ridiculous. PIB is the only iTunes release I have seen this on too.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:45 am 

PappaWas1975 wrote:
evildick wrote:

I noticed that too, fucking ridiculous. PIB is the only iTunes release I have seen this on too.

Yeah, not only is that silly, but after I purchased the track, I get a message saying I'm not authorized to listen to it. So the info is there in my i-tunes library, he purchased has been made, but the title is greyed out and I can't play it. On hold right now with Apple - Oi vey, I like cds better.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next