Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Penguin in Bondage
PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:00 am 

Max Lobster wrote:
Yeah, not only is that silly, but after I purchased the track, I get a message saying I'm not authorized to listen to it. So the info is there in my i-tunes library, he purchased has been made, but the title is greyed out and I can't play it. On hold right now with Apple - Oi vey, I like cds better.

You might want to check your parental settings in iTunes. Go to Preferences -> Parental. There should be a check box for "Restrict explicit content."

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:02 am 

Max Lobster wrote:
On hold right now with Apple - Oi vey, I like cds better.

It's an age-old debate on the Zappa forums indeed. I can understand your point. I'm very used to the iTunes format and I'm hard pressed to think of a time in the last several years that I've experienced any big headaches with it or grabbing music through it. It's a slick, robust library management interface and through the advent of AirPlay - it's become a no-brainer for me as I'm able to access my library from any of my mobile devices in the house and have it play in different "zones" with a couple of gestures. Easy enough that the girlfriend can do it from her phone now too! But I understand that it takes a lot to get to that point with your library and stereo setups, etc. Popping in a physical disc has its merits and the fetish factor is nice (for me, it lasts a day or two, tops). To each his/her own...

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:45 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
It's an age-old debate on the Zappa forums indeed. I can understand your point. I'm very used to the iTunes format and I'm hard pressed to think of a time in the last several years that I've experienced any big headaches with it or grabbing music through it. It's a slick, robust library management interface and through the advent of AirPlay - it's become a no-brainer for me as I'm able to access my library from any of my mobile devices in the house and have it play in different "zones" with a couple of gestures. Easy enough that the girlfriend can do it from her phone now too! But I understand that it takes a lot to get to that point with your library and stereo setups, etc. Popping in a physical disc has its merits and the fetish factor is nice (for me, it lasts a day or two, tops). To each his/her own...

I'm a vinyl purist, but I fully embrace iTunes for my portable music needs. When people go off on how much they hate iTunes, I really don't get what all the fuss is about. It took some getting used to when I bought my first iPod in 2006 or so, but since then, I've NEVER had any problems with it. Granted, I almost never buy music through iTunes. On the rare occasion that I buy mp3s, it's usually from Amazon where you can grab a lot of new releases for insanely cheap prices.

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:39 am 

Is it just me or do other people have problems when converting converted WAVs from I-Tunes to other formats e.g. the dreaded MP3s or even worse WMA (for listening on an MP3 player in the car)? I get little gaps in the middle of songs.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 3:21 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
It's an age-old debate on the Zappa forums indeed. I can understand your point. (...) own...
I'm a vinyl purist, but I fully embrace iTunes for my portable music needs. (...) cheap prices.
Another bad thing about these digital downloads is this stupid incomplete tagging standard.
This format from the 90's has been thought for mainstream industrial music that you can throw away when it gets outdated.
People just wanna get track X from band Y, and they don't care the track have been remastered, remixed, edited, rerecorded or compressed.
It has not been designed for serious music.

If you like to have 3 different versions of a Mozart Concerto in your library, because the cadence (solo) is different, how can you differentiate these?
From the artist tag? Okay, who is the artist?
Is it the conductor? The orchestra? The soloist? The guy who wrote the cadence, or all of them randomly sorted and separated with slashes?

This "year" tag is just a joke, is it the recording year? The production year? The first release year? The current edition year?

If you have a consequent library, which is my case, these things matter.
Caputh wrote:
Is it just me or do other people have problems when converting converted WAVs from I-Tunes to other formats e.g. the dreaded MP3s or even worse WMA (for listening on an MP3 player in the car)? I get little gaps in the middle of songs.
I guess that mainly depends on the player. But why would you want to decrease the quality of an already decreased quality format?

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 5:34 am 

Maroual wrote:
Caputh wrote:
I guess that mainly depends on the player. But why would you want to decrease the quality of an already decreased quality format?

Well, to your second point, I don't have a fantastic sound system in my car, just an MP3 player which I play via a cassette in the car tape deck and also my car is quite old, makes quite a bit of noise and therefore covers up quite a lot of hiss. The car is therefore not the place I go for a quality listening experience, rather I'm looking for something to bellow along with tunelessly while I'm on the road. To your first point, I don't think the dropouts are caused by the player, as they occur when I play the converted tracks back on the computer before storing them on the MP3 player.

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 7:50 am 

Cap I use Format Factory and have had some pleasant results :D

http://www.formatoz.com/

Add some ironic humor to the mix and a good time can be had by all :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 10:56 am 

pedro2 wrote:
Cap I use Format Factory and have had some pleasant results :D

http://www.formatoz.com/

Add some ironic humor to the mix and a good time can be had by all :wink: 8)

Thanks, I've downloaded it and will try it out.

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2011 7:07 pm 

I'm trying to adapt to the digital age, the majority of my CD collection is on an iPod plugged into my entertainment system, but as I've said above, while iTunes in OZ continues to charge ridiculous prices, I'll continue to buy CDs. It's just totally stupid that I can save money that way.

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:18 am 

Maroual wrote:
If you like to have 3 different versions of a Mozart Concerto in your library, because the cadence (solo) is different, how can you differentiate these?
From the artist tag? Okay, who is the artist?
Is it the conductor? The orchestra? The soloist? The guy who wrote the cadence, or all of them randomly sorted and separated with slashes?

It depends on your preferences but there are lots of different ways that could be handled within the "confines" of iTunes metadata. For starters, you could simply append something at the end of your track name: e.g. "Mozart Concetro #6 (alt cadence).

Re: artist tag > you'd have to make the judgement call on whether or not you prefer to organize your tracks by composer or performing orchestra. That's up to you. But I'd pick something and stick with it so you don't wind up with random sorting.

One particular sorting maneuver that I love doing in iTunes is utilizing the 'Sort Album' field. I prefer to see my albums listed chronologically so I do something like this:
Van Halen (first album) gets 'Van Halen 0010' in its 'Sort Album' field
Van Halen II gets 'Van Halen 0020' and so on.
That way, if I came to find out an EP got released between the 2 (which never happened but I digress...) - I would mark it 'Van Halen 0015' in its 'Sort Album' field.
Pretty nifty....

I also organize my compilations like that (e.g. Van Halen C010) and demos (e.g. Van Halen D010) and live tracks (Van Halen 781103) (YYMMDD) - pretty cool, pretty easy and comes out with Woolite!

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:20 am 

polydigm wrote:
It's just totally stupid that I can save money that way.

Well put! That makes absolutely no sense. It's a shame that the MUSIC BUSINESS <insert ghastly shriek> makes it work out that way.... RETARDED! :?

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 5:15 pm 

recordhead wrote:
$7 for one track!!!! Is the excuse because of the lenght? If so, I'd hate to see what The Allman Brothers are charging for Mountain Jam!

I willingly pay $7.00 for a beer in Manhattan, and sometimes they're not great..... THIS purchase was a no-brainer.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:52 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
It depends on your preferences but there are lots of different ways that could be handled within the "confines" of iTunes metadata. For starters, you could simply append something at the end of your track name: e.g. "Mozart Concetro #6 (alt cadence).

Re: artist tag > you'd have to make the judgement call on whether or not you prefer to organize your tracks by composer or performing orchestra. That's up to you. But I'd pick something and stick with it so you don't wind up with random sorting.

One particular sorting maneuver that I love doing in iTunes is utilizing the 'Sort Album' field. I prefer to see my albums listed chronologically so I do something like this:
Van Halen (first album) gets 'Van Halen 0010' in its 'Sort Album' field
Van Halen II gets 'Van Halen 0020' and so on.
That way, if I came to find out an EP got released between the 2 (which never happened but I digress...) - I would mark it 'Van Halen 0015' in its 'Sort Album' field.
Pretty nifty....

I also organize my compilations like that (e.g. Van Halen C010) and demos (e.g. Van Halen D010) and live tracks (Van Halen 781103) (YYMMDD) - pretty cool, pretty easy and comes out with Woolite!

Thanks for you answer. What you are saying makes a lot of sense.

But my comment was not limited to the iTunes format and databases. Other associations lead to the same problems, for instance flac files filled by freedb.org are not organized any better.

Whatever I am not saying there's no solution. I still could manually fix my Chopin complete edition tags (17 CDs). It took me one whole week (7 evenings actually).

Now that I need to rip Beethoven (150 CDs) and Mozart (170 CDs) complete works before I start with the individual editions I have on the side (53 CDs). Shall I book approx. 22 weeks to handle the job?

No, I just cannot do this. So I will live with these stupid automatic tags whatever they are wrong. I will just rename and sort by directory, because fortunately my Archos allows doing such a thing. But that sucks.

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:01 am 

Maroual wrote:
But that sucks.

Hopefully this will help it to "suck less", Maroual:

For windows, tag & rename is easily the best http://www.softpointer.com/tr.htm

For Mac, Jaikoz audio tagger is the best http://www.jthink.net/jaikoz/ it's built on java so they have a windows and mac client.

While I prefer tag & rename (I think it works better), jaikoz does have the ability to update the itunes library automatically so there is no rescan, although this is usually only needed when renaming files.

Hope this helps you save a ton of time!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 6:58 am 

11,9 Go
4 176 Files, 262 Folders

i Dont have many songs in double versions

I normally put one album by one unless i am playing P0ker where i put all the library in random :)

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 2:30 pm 

Damn...I don't do downloads. CD's or LP's please..... :(

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 5:35 pm 

madcow1515 wrote:
Max Lobster wrote:
Yeah, not only is that silly, but after I purchased the track, I get a message saying I'm not authorized to listen to it. So the info is there in my i-tunes library, he purchased has been made, but the title is greyed out and I can't play it. On hold right now with Apple - Oi vey, I like cds better.

You might want to check your parental settings in iTunes. Go to Preferences -> Parental. There should be a check box for "Restrict explicit content."

Yeah thanks, I didn't realize that setting was there and for some reason it was set. All good and enjoying this tasty little offering.

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2011 4:11 am 

I just bought this little sucker, as my first purchase on iTunes. The song is great of course, but I can't say I'm comfortable being hooked up to a giant corporation for my listening pleasure :P

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:09 pm 

recordhead wrote:
$7 for one track!!!! Is the excuse because of the lenght? If so, I'd hate to see what The Allman Brothers are charging for Mountain Jam!

Looks like "Mountain Jam" is only available as part of an entire album. iTunes only has "Live at the Atlanta International" and not the Fillmore.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 1:06 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
It's just totally stupid that I can save money that way.
Well put! That makes absolutely no sense. It's a shame that the MUSIC BUSINESS <insert ghastly shriek> makes it work out that way.... RETARDED! :?
Truth be told, the main factor in this stupidity is the fact that the english pound way down the toilet. Actually, I'm starting to think that while it remains there, I should put a very big shopping list together and not just buy CDs that I'm thinking of at any given time.

Anyway, back on topic, a question about this Penguin in Bondage download. Is it only an mp3, or is there supposed to be some kind of associated album cover/notes download as well?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 2:24 pm 

Trennasol wrote:
Thats a pity
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ypkfB9Ux_qs
Frank Zappa - Penguin In Bondage / The Little Known History of the Mothers of Invention :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 4:12 pm 

cleon wrote:
Trennasol wrote:
Thats a pity
Frank Zappa - Penguin In Bondage / The Little Known History of the Mothers of Invention :mrgreen:

Ooof, enjoy it while it's there. I give it a week.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 2:21 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'll wait for someone to send it to me. Or for someone to put it up on Youtube....which will happen. I will not buy it. Sorry gail.

Put it on plastic in a nice little square cardboard slipcase and i'll fork over the cash.

There ya go!

7 bucks????? Phewwwww!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:25 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
cleon wrote:
Trennasol wrote:
Thats a pity

Ooof, enjoy it while it's there. I give it a week.
Better too have loved than never loved at all :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:13 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I'll wait for someone to send it to me. Or for someone to put it up on Youtube....which will happen. I will not buy it. Sorry gail.

Put it on plastic in a nice little square cardboard slipcase and i'll fork over the cash.

There ya go!

7 bucks????? Phewwwww!

Or better yet! Ad it to an exciting new release as a bonus disc of limited supply signed by someone famous and or close at hand at the time of insertion into the cardboard slipcase....that will really get us going....

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 101 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next