Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 12:46 am 

Done a little research-market research into aquiring a copy of You Are What You Is and according to Wiki page on album the 1998 reissue/remaster is what you're after if looking for it on CD:

The album was first issued on CD by EMI in the mid 1980s, albeit only in the UK and Japan. It received a worldwide release on both Ryko and Zappa Records CD in 1990, and was standardized under the Ryko banner in 1995. However, the digital master prepared for both the original Ryko/Zappa release and the later Ryko 1995 release suffered from several severe audio problems that appear to be caused by an overuse of digital techniques like compression and reverb, and also contained a shortened version of the track "Dumb All Over." In 1998, the problems of these previous CD issues were fixed in an unannounced reissue, including a near-complete restoration of the guitar solo from "Dumb All Over".

However, can't seem to find any copies of this version for sale on Ebay, Amazon UK and/or US and it isn't listed/recorded on either of Discogs or RateYourMusic?? Also conducted a quick search for info on this releasse here and got no hits- is the Wiki article erroneous or is this version of release incredibly rare or something (wiki page does say was unannounced and therefore could of been limited)? Either way what would someone familiar with album and/or various incarnations of it recommend as version to get? Thanks, Steve. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:01 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
… what would someone familiar with album and/or various incarnations of it recommend as version to get?

Hi Steve,

my opinion: the EMI version. This comes closest to the original version first issued on vinyl.

Th.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:18 am 

Thinman wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
… what would someone familiar with album and/or various incarnations of it recommend as version to get?

Hi Steve,

my opinion: the EMI version. This comes closest to the original version first issued on vinyl.

Th.

Cheers Th,

I'll wait to get some more fb before comitting to a copy to buy and/or for info on this 1998 release but will start doing some preliminary market research into an EMI copy 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
However, can't seem to find any copies of this version for sale on Ebay, Amazon UK and/or US and it isn't listed/recorded on either of Discogs or RateYourMusic?? Also conducted a quick search for info on this releasse here and got no hits- is the Wiki article erroneous or is this version of release incredibly rare or something (wiki page does say was unannounced and therefore could of been limited)? Either way what would someone familiar with album and/or various incarnations of it recommend as version to get? Thanks, Steve. 8)

I wouldn't think the 1998 release is very rare at all. The problem is the only way to tell it from the old 1995 Ryko CD is by looking at the matrix number on the actual disc--not really something you can easily do before buying a copy online. When I first heard about the "switch" circa 2001, I had to did a blind purchase of sealed copy at Best Buy that turned out to be the 1998 remaster.

Thinman is right about the EMI disc being the closest to the vinyl. However, you'd be really lucky to find a copy of it at a reasonable price, as those EMI Zappa discs are pretty collectible. You should be able to find the 1998 Ryko CD for a pretty cheap price if you look around. I would look for copies of the Ryko CD that are marked as "new" on Ebay. Odds are pretty good that they're the 1998 remaster.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:16 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

I wouldn't think the 1998 release is very rare at all. The problem is the only way to tell it from the old 1995 Ryko CD is by looking at the matrix number on the actual disc--not really something you can easily do before buying a copy online. When I first heard about the "switch" circa 2001, I had to did a blind purchase of sealed copy at Best Buy that turned out to be the 1998 remaster.

Thinman is right about the EMI disc being the closest to the vinyl. However, you'd be really lucky to find a copy of it at a reasonable price, as those EMI Zappa discs are pretty collectible. You should be able to find the 1998 Ryko CD for a pretty cheap price if you look around. I would look for copies of the Ryko CD that are marked as "new" on Ebay. Odds are pretty good that they're the 1998 remaster.

Thanks for insight and that explains it! I'll do as you suggested then and look to pick up a sealed copy of 1995 Ryko and see if actually example of '98 reissue/remaster. 8)

On aquiring copy of original '86 EMI CD issue for good price may have spotted one so will buy that as well pending response from seller. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:24 am 

Yes, Madcow is correct, when Ryko released the 1998 remaster they couldn't be bothered updating the CD booklet properly making it difficult to tell. I had to do a lot of messing around in the shop with the salesperson when I bought mine. But anyway, once the 1998 remaster became available, that was the standard in all new Ryko copies after that. Of course, there's some bullshit going on with Ryko at the moment, maybe someone else can fill in the details. They started out with the best intentions but got slack later on.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:37 am 

I'd go for the Japanese vinyl replica from 2008. It has the 1998 remix and is a real nice package, with beautiful printing quality on the cover art. The artwork on current Ryko releases sucks mostly. Reprinted from reprints... You should be able to get a YAWYI vinyl replica at around 20 bucks, which is worth it IMHO.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:41 am 

polydigm wrote:
Yes, Madcow is correct, when Ryko released the 1998 remaster they couldn't be bothered updating the CD booklet properly making it difficult to tell. I had to do a lot of messing around in the shop with the salesperson when I bought mine. But anyway, once the 1998 remaster became available, that was the standard in all new Ryko copies after that. Of course, there's some bullshit going on with Ryko at the moment, maybe someone else can fill in the details. They started out with the best intentions but got slack later on.

Thanks for the supporting what madcow said and/or providing some extra info as well ie although may still be marketed as 1995 Ryko all presses after 1998 ie most new and sealed copies gona find will be in fact example of 1998 remaster as that became the model they took forward. 8)

I assume £9.99 (approx $16-17) is good price for very good+ condition 1986 EMI CD issue? Just snagged a copy of some private seller at Discogs.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:43 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I'd go for the Japanese vinyl replica from 2008. It has the 1998 remix and is a real nice package, with beautiful printing quality on the cover art. The artwork on current Ryko releases sucks mostly. Reprinted from reprints... You should be able to get a YAWYI vinyl replica at around 20 bucks, which is worth it IMHO.

Yeah that had occurred to me and/or to ask here but all copies I've seen, like with most japense mini-lp editions of releases I've come across, weren't cheap ie $40 plus. If you can point us to one for around $20 will prob get over 1998 Ryko...if not I'll have a more focused look myself before committing to Ryko buy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:59 am 

The Patio is your friend....................

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... ou_is.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:38 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
I assume £9.99 (approx $16-17) is good price for very good+ condition 1986 EMI CD issue? Just snagged a copy of some private seller at Discogs.

Yes, that's a great price. Maybe they're not quite as high in demand since the 1998 remaster came out. That thing used to be the Holy Grail. I wonder if my Sheik Yerbouti EMI disc is still worth anything.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:14 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
The Patio is your friend....................

http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/v ... ou_is.html

Thanks for the link/direction to source, much appreciated. Think someone pointed me to that a few years back when first discovered Zappa and was inquiring about diff between Vinyl and CD versions of one or both of Cruising With Ruben and the Jets and/or Sleep Dirt. In bookmarks now anyway as a resource :wink: .

madcow1515 wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

Yes, that's a great price. Maybe they're not quite as high in demand since the 1998 remaster came out. That thing used to be the Holy Grail. I wonder if my Sheik Yerbouti EMI disc is still worth anything.

Nah don't worry I think you were prob on the money (no pun intended) as this fell through (seller in fact had vinyl copy that shared same cat no. as '86 CD release by EMI was after). You having cited it's rare status and exp with shopping for rare material myself I did have feeling too good to be true but also knew was possible e.g. if seller not aware of real value for e.g.

How rare is it in your exp? ie is it just OOP but still relatively common, just commanding a high price or is it in fact rare and hard to even come by?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
How rare is it in your exp? ie is it just OOP but still relatively common, just commanding a high price or is it in fact rare and hard to even come by?

I'm not sure how many copies were pressed, but it wasn't in print for very long. It was definitely a highly sought-after item back when it was the only decent sounding CD of YAWYI. Someone on the old alt.fan.frank-zappa newsgroup was kind enough to burn me a copy many years ago. I'm sure it still has some collector's value, but it's probably not quite as high in demand as it was before the 1998 remaster came out. However, it's still the only CD that has the entire "Dumb All Over" guitar solo.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:33 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:

I'm not sure how many copies were pressed, but it wasn't in print for very long. It was definitely a highly sought-after item back when it was the only decent sounding CD of YAWYI. Someone on the old alt.fan.frank-zappa newsgroup was kind enough to burn me a copy many years ago. I'm sure it still has some collector's value, but it's probably not quite as high in demand as it was before the 1998 remaster came out. However, it's still the only CD that has the entire "Dumb All Over" guitar solo.

Thanks for insight/info, much appreciated 8) . In my exp that ticks enough boxes to still be commanding of a high price if and when can be found....no matter a copy 1998 master will do me for now :P

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:16 am 

I just breezed through this thread, but are you telling me that my 1990 Ryko is a rarity?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 8:49 am 

http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2684639/68953662/

Music : Rock : Lossless
This is the first CD pressing of You Are What You Is, issued under the EMI label. The audio quality is widely considered to be superior to the subsequent Rykodisc releases, so this is a must-have for any Zappa fan. The tracks are compressed with FLAC at level 5.

Track List

1. Teen-Age Wind (3:02)
2. Harder Than Your Husband (2:28)
3. Doreen (4:44)
4. Goblin Girl (4:07)
5. Theme from the 3rd Movement of Sinister... (3:34)
6. Society Pages (2:27)
7. I'm a Beautiful Guy (1:56)
8. Beauty Knows No Pain (3:02)
9. Charlie's Enormous Mouth (3:36)
10. Any Downers? (2:08)
11. Conehead (4:24)
12. You Are What You Is (4:23)
13. Mudd Club (3:11)
14. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing (3:10)
15. Dumb All Over (5:45)
16. Heavenly Bank Account (3:44)
17. Suicide Chump (2:49)
18. Jumbo Go Away (3:43)
19. If Only She Woulda (3:48)
20. Drafted Again (3:07)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 9:45 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2684639/68953662/

Music : Rock : Lossless
This is the first CD pressing of You Are What You Is, issued under the EMI label. The audio quality is widely considered to be superior to the subsequent Rykodisc releases, so this is a must-have for any Zappa fan. The tracks are compressed with FLAC at level 5.

Track List

1. Teen-Age Wind (3:02)
2. Harder Than Your Husband (2:28)
3. Doreen (4:44)
4. Goblin Girl (4:07)
5. Theme from the 3rd Movement of Sinister... (3:34)
6. Society Pages (2:27)
7. I'm a Beautiful Guy (1:56)
8. Beauty Knows No Pain (3:02)
9. Charlie's Enormous Mouth (3:36)
10. Any Downers? (2:08)
11. Conehead (4:24)
12. You Are What You Is (4:23)
13. Mudd Club (3:11)
14. The Meek Shall Inherit Nothing (3:10)
15. Dumb All Over (5:45)
16. Heavenly Bank Account (3:44)
17. Suicide Chump (2:49)
18. Jumbo Go Away (3:43)
19. If Only She Woulda (3:48)
20. Drafted Again (3:07)

Wow, nice one for this, much appreciated, though hopefully have just nabbed a genuine copy now off Musicstack. This will be nice though if that falls through for some reason 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:55 am 

All of the EMI CDs are FAR superior to Frank's fucked up Ryko remasters.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 10:59 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
All of the EMI CDs are FAR superior to Frank's fucked up Ryko remasters.

^Yeah just clocked relatively recently revived old thread 'FZ EMI CDs' or some such similar name...the EMI CDs, as far as I can tell that was everything from Joe's Garage to Jazz From Hell- is this correct?

EDIT: No matter, prob utlise that patio resource :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 1:28 pm 

My CD is the EMI version and it is one of the only CDs in my Zappa collection I bought second hand (in Rio)...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 7:12 am 

polydigm wrote:

I'm curious if the secrecy had something to do with the politics of correcting a poor "FZ approved" master rather than being Ryko's laziness as this post assumes.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 9:56 am 

pbuzby wrote:
polydigm wrote:

I'm curious if the secrecy had something to do with the politics of correcting a poor "FZ approved" master rather than being Ryko's laziness as this post assumes.

I don't think they could be bothered 1995 neither with booklet looks like 1998 booklet lyrics double print like the 1990 cd,pixels good on photo 1990 CD tho.
> only way too tell difference end of bar code on ryko 1995 1998cd from sealed copy,disc open the difference is date page too remastered date :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:11 am 

cleon wrote:
I don't think they could be bothered 1995 neither with booklet looks like 1998 booklet lyrics double print like the 1990 cd,pixels good on photo 1990 CD tho.
> only way too tell difference end of bar code on ryko 1995 1998cd from sealed copy,disc open the difference is date page too remastered date :wink:

2,000,000 sperm and you were the quickest???

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 10:30 am 

Galoot Co-Log-Nuh wrote:
2,000,000 sperm and you were the quickest???

lmao

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:34 pm 

I have 2 YAWYI 1998 copies (which I just double checked, and indeed both have 5:46 Dumb All Over). We could set up a deal if you'd like.