Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:40 pm 

MONGOL FARM :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:42 pm 

BBP wrote:
I have 2 YAWYI 1998 copies (which I just double checked, and indeed both have 5:46 Dumb All Over). We could set up a deal if you'd like.
pICE OF SHIT LIKE YOU MAKE SHIT BARD I HOPE :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 2:02 pm 

BBP wrote:
I have 2 YAWYI 1998 copies (which I just double checked, and indeed both have 5:46 Dumb All Over)
And all the rest what is it ab out yours again :smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2011 4:25 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
All of the EMI CDs are FAR superior to Frank's fucked up Ryko remasters.

Definitely not. The only EMI CDs that are FAR superior to the Ryko editions are, Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is, The Man From Utopia & Does Humor Belong In Music?

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 5:17 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

Definitely not. The only EMI CDs that are FAR superior to the Ryko editions are, Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is, The Man From Utopia & Does Humor Belong In Music?

Was gona say actually that that assertion must of been a subjective opinion as the patio site did suggest some other issues of some of the releases that had an EMI issue were considered superior.

BBP wrote:
I have 2 YAWYI 1998 copies (which I just double checked, and indeed both have 5:46 Dumb All Over). We could set up a deal if you'd like.

Open to a deal yes :wink: . Hit me up with offer in pm 8)

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 12:31 pm 

Someone just snagged a like-new EMI copy of Sheik Yerbouti on Ebay- http://www.ebay.com/itm/150651101678?ssPageName=STRK:MEDWX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1435.l2649#ht_4668wt_1037 for just over $60.....fair price? How much is this goin for generally ie how much should I be expecting to fork out for one if and when crop up?

N.B.//Pretty certain this listing was shill bid (can't be proven but looks as blatant as you're gona see).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 3:54 pm 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Was gona say actually that that assertion must of been a subjective opinion as the patio site did suggest some other issues of some of the releases that had an EMI issue were considered superior.

Really? Which other EMI CDs are superior to the Ryko editions? Because I've read the patio site's analysis of the differences between the Ryko editions and EMI CDs several times and the four aforementioned EMI CDs are the only ones I recall that are superior to the Ryko editions...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Aug 26, 2011 4:05 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

Really? Which other EMI CDs are superior to the Ryko editions? Because I've read the patio site's analysis of the differences between the Ryko editions and EMI CDs several times and the four aforementioned EMI CDs are the only ones I recall that are superior to the Ryko editions...

No, I was concurrng with you ie was referencing jaypfunk's assertion that you had already just addressed ie that was questioning it myself after reading patio a bit....wasn't clear on re-reading so apologies (as I alluded to it was glancing over as opposed to studious reading but an example that's stuck would be that of 'Joe's Garage' ie many prefer later issues on CD that are 3 disc and/or same flow as original LP as opposed to the 2 disc format of that issue).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:37 am 

There has not been a three CD Joe's Garage (unless there's some import I didn't notice). The one that went from two to three CDs was Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar, and I don't get why anyone would prefer it as three CDs, but perhaps someone will weigh in.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:33 am 

The 3-CD edition of SUAPYG makes much sense because in the beginning it was three individual records, sold separately via mailorder.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 9:55 am 

Thinman wrote:
The 3-CD edition of SUAPYG makes much sense because in the beginning it was three individual records, sold separately via mailorder.

Yeah, so what. I guess this is an "agree to disagree" case.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:01 am 

Why don't they just release it in three separates :smoke: speeds vol 1 Araf down a bit,Vol 2 correct speed,vol 3 speeded up a bit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:06 am 

Judging from a needledrop I heard, the first five sides of the vinyl SUNPYG were all sped up but the last side (Stucco Homes/Canard Du Jour) was at correct speed.

I still have the 2-CD Ryko, first note of 5-5-5 cut off, low volume level, but all correct speed. This is the one with the "grout" at the beginning of each track. I understand there are variations.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:19 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Judging from a needledrop I heard, the first five sides of the vinyl SUNPYG were all sped up but the last side (Stucco Homes/Canard Du Jour) was at correct speed.

I still have the 2-CD Ryko, first note of 5-5-5 cut off, low volume level, but all correct speed. This is the one with the "grout" at the beginning of each track. I understand there are variations.
Yes just do the three cd speeded up why not.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 10:52 am 

pbuzby wrote:
There has not been a three CD Joe's Garage (unless there's some import I didn't notice). The one that went from two to three CDs was Shut Up 'N Play Yer Guitar, and I don't get why anyone would prefer it as three CDs, but perhaps someone will weigh in.

I don't know of any 3CD version of JG, either, but at least the Japanese vinyl replica divides it into one CD for act one and one for acts 2 & 3, similar to the original LPs.

SUAPYG is brilliant in all editions - 6 LP sides (suites), three CDs or 2, IMHO. I am partial to the 2CD versions, because Ship Ahoy is such a natural ending of disc one and The Deathless Horsie a beautiful beginning for a long new sequence. I'm not fond of the segue from Why Johnny Can't Read to Stucco Homes on my three CD set (Jap again 8) ), so I prefer playing that sequence from the EMI 2CD or the LP.

My first SUAPYG was the Ryko 2CD, but I gave it to my brother when I got the CBS LP box. As I said, I do like the sequencing on the double CD, so I had a to get a new one of that later, which turned to be the EMI version. I haven't compared it closely to the later Ryko releases, but I have noticed some differences. One very noticable difference is that the tracks are slightly more separated on the EMI release, particularly "between LP sides". You get the full "scratching" sound after While You Were Out, while the Ryko version segues directly into Treacherous Cretins. That's one segue I actually like a lot, so I often choose to play SUAPYG itself from the 3CD set.

My general impression of the sound quality of the EMI edition is that it's very agreeable, although not radically different from the current Ryko edition.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 4:32 am 

Yeah, my mistake, I must of meant- well, did as per Dark Clothes' (supporting) account of different track sequences between 3 CD/LP and 2 CD/LP varities- of SUAPYG upon reflection (as I said I but glanced over some of the relevant releases/articles on different issues of said releases and hence this, coupled with fact just coming back to listening to Zappa after a few years of not, bit rusty on discography and that).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 5:00 am 

pbuzby wrote:

Correct. Steve Vai long time ago confirmed this to me, and said that Frank probably did this to not make the LP-sides too long.

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=15501

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 7:59 am 

As I said, when I got the SUAPYG LP box, I gave the Ryko 2CD to my brother, because I immediately thought the LPs sounded so bitchin', way cooler than the CDs. I'm guessing that the old speeding-up adds some intensity to the tunes. But how do you people with perfect pitch feel about the sped-up versions?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:16 am 

Ryko have correct speed and speeded up CD :P

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:30 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
But how do you people with perfect pitch feel about the sped-up versions?

I like the sped up YAWYI. No comment on the sped up SUNPYG since I got used to it the other way.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 9:31 am 

HJ wrote:
Correct. Steve Vai long time ago confirmed this to me, and said that Frank probably did this to not make the LP-sides too long.

Seems odd since the LP sides are already quite short by 80's standards, and the speed up only makes a difference of a few seconds. Guess FZ did stranger things though.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 28, 2011 10:15 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
As I said, when I got the SUAPYG LP box, I gave the Ryko 2CD to my brother, because I immediately thought the LPs sounded so bitchin', way cooler than the CDs. I'm guessing that the old speeding-up adds some intensity to the tunes. But how do you people with perfect pitch feel about the sped-up versions?

Sped up is nowhere near as annoying as slowed down. There's only a handful of songs that really sound bad when they are sped up too much. Think Revised Music For Guitar And Low-Budget Orchestra. The problem is that I'm used to Sheik at higher speed (I recorded it on tape so I could listen to it more often), and hearing it at normal speed is awkward.

I'd like to pose two more theories as to why FZ / anyone would like to speed up records slightly:
-better sound, for reasons described above: a little extra speed does not hurt much
-taking slower machines into account. There's a good amount of cheepo record players that do 32 or 33 RPM, also in combination with the above.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 2:59 am 

pbuzby wrote:
HJ wrote:

Seems odd since the LP sides are already quite short by 80's standards, and the speed up only makes a difference of a few seconds. Guess FZ did stranger things though.

It's seems like deja vu agian remmeber when all this was talked about before.

YAWYI Speeded up Can't be knocked tho take a listen too TTNS or YCDTOSA Vol3,FZ trained that band too play the YAWYI speeded and not even out of A440 tuned insruments.

SUAPYG remember all LP's Speeded up all CD'S speed up Not 1995 Ryko CD tho.
Somebody even posted of a test they did with some Program software and said it is not just Speeded up that is also goes in and out of tune then too speeded up and so on,Which would make pefect sence as the first 3 tracks on SUAPYG fast verison 2.36,2.50,5.38.slow version 2.38,2.52,5.40 Too second difference every track,which is impossible too just be speeded up because the track that is longer would not be still be the same as the shorter track with a too Second difference.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:39 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:

shut the fuck up, Mongoloid

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2011 5:41 am 

Disco Boy wrote:
BloodSugar00 wrote:
Disco Boy wrote:

once again reading the internet for "facts" instead of actually hearing them before making a true case.

go fuck yourself, fanboy cunt!