Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:11 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next
PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:29 am 

that's funny Library Music was brought up in this thread. i just created an album a few months ago, consisting of samples from Library Music. it's great stuff and i have a huge collection of it. it's anything and everything musically. check out what i did with some of it. i just sampled it and added bass and drums, what i consider "enhancing" the track. shout to FZ on the title.

http://rodneyshifflet.bandcamp.com/album/the-best-70s-t-v-theme-music-youve-never-heard-in-your-life

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:49 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
From the same interview

FZ: "you have a patch of clarinet notes, and every clarinet note is perfect, and they're lovely clarinet notes, and then you tell the Synclavier to play this ungodly fast clarinet riff that no human being could play. That's nice. You could never get it another way. But on the other hand, if you have a really fine clarinet player, every one of the notes that he played would be different, and your ear detects that variety. I think that the ear prefers variety..."

That is a brilliant quote.

It also explains why I am not 100% into FZ's synclavier stuff. It is interesting, but it has that sterile touch that makes it a bit dull for me. It is of course fun that you can have the machine play something that is humanly impossible (and a technical x.mas gift for Zappa), but often it will not sound very interesting. I think such sequencing is more appropriate for education purposes (e.g., to learn a difficult, but playable, riff). So I prefer all other Zappa stuff much more. My ear prefer variety :-)

But still waiting for the new release with some enthusiasm.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:44 am 

"The main advantage for me with the Synclavier is that I can imagine rhythms that human beings have difficulty contemplating, let alone executing. When I'm writing for a live band, I'm constantly limited by the physical liabilities of the people who are going to play the parts. On the one hand, you can say, "You just keep practicing, be insistent, and you'll eventually get the rhythm." The truth of the matter is, the more you practice, the more the musician hates it; you're never really going to get it spot on if the person is suffering to play the rhythm. Why subject the musician to that punishment and torture when you can just type it in and get the thing mathematically exact?"FZ 1986
http://home.online.no/~corneliu/gp86.htm

:|

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:04 pm 

Hahaha. I absolutely love all the moo-ah's of this secular humanism version!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:22 pm 

tweezers wrote:
The 1992 quotes touch on some of the reasons I love FZ. There is no purpose in taking oneself too seriously, and there is no reason to rank one kind of 'art' as better than another. I am sure we could all name hundreds of musical pieces that we think are tripe, and, of those pieces, we would get at least some agreement.

The point is that music is to entertain the composer and the listener. Who cares which piece I would rank higher than another piece, and who cares how 'sophisticated' the piece is. If you like it, you like it.

FZ knew that his listenership would be limited, and he also knew that he could produce enough musical variety that he could make a good living from it and pursue his calling.
that's right. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 3:50 pm 

The point is that music is to entertain the composer and the listener. Who cares which piece I would rank higher than another piece, and who cares how 'sophisticated' the piece is. If you like it, you like it.

That is why Louie Louie is my favorite rock and roll song, along with other rhyming R&R titles - wooly bully, hully gully etc, etc, and etc.

Well said!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:17 pm 

O, and I must say, he offered unique music, unlike anything else, in seemingly endless variations. "Oh No" has been presented classically, R&R, jazzy, and other variations, my favorite being LG's sort odd jazzy lounge soundtrack style - undefinable, like FZ himself. He created a niche, supplied various versions of that niche to create a wide market of interests and styles, but it was still a niche. Like the old video store down the street in Austin here that only deals in niche, or cult, oddball, variant, impossible to find elsewhere films. Blockbuster tried to wipe'em out but couldn't. Meanwhile Blockbuster is chapter 11, and the little niche store is still kicking just fine.
BTW - I post so little on here, maybe once a year or so. My first FZ purchase was Freak Out. I saw in a drugstore record bin in 66, but didn't break down to buy it until Fall 67. Then I bought Absolutely Freeeeeeee the only other release available. Bought'em all in sequential order as soon as they were released ever since! Saw FZ in 68 in Houston, got to chat him up quite a bit, nice personable guy. I was a goofy high school kid who couldn't afford love beads so I used paper clips. Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:24 pm 

o - he didn't have a synclavier then, just the mothers- just to keep this on topic ;^)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:37 pm 

I received my CD of "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" today. I live in Canada. Had to get out my snowshoes and trudge across the tundra mile after mile to reach the mailbox.

Well, I'd like to say this is such an awesome release and order it if you haven't already -- and this would encourage the future release of "Dance Me This" -- the album I've wanted to hear since Frank mentioned it's future release in an interview back in '93 (or '92)?

So really, though Frank made a master of the first 3 tracks of "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" -- he did have 7 years to release it since it seems to be dated from 1986 after reading the liner notes. But did he release it? NO, because instead he focused on Broadway the Hardway, the 1988 tour, the live albums from the 1988 tour, YCDTOSA releases, the Ensemble Modern, and CP3. Plus, from what I read he was working on hundreds of synclavier pieces up to the time of his death.

My point.... though "Feeding...." is a nice release, I don't think Frank would have ever released it -- at least not the first 3 tracks he mastered as intended for a vinyl release. And I doubt he would have released the next 2 tracks, at least not the way they sound in this release.

I think Frank would have been focused on newer material he was working on in the early 90's, and would have released Dance Me This in '94 or '95 as he mentioned in that interview before his death, and then would have released more newer Synclavier material if he had lived longer.

I can understand Gail and Joe thinking this was worth releasing especially since Frank did a master of the first 3 tracks (sorry for repeating myself), but what we (???) really want is Dance Me This and newer early 90's synclavier compositions Frank was working on that may have still been on the hard drives when he passed away (or maybe some made it to tape as it was mentioned he often transferred pieces to tape.)

Track 1 - Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison, a 20+ minute track would have been suitable for a digital download for $4.99 or $5.99 considering it's length.

The rest wasn't really necessary to release, imo.

I will still buy Dance Me This. Though I have a feeling that will be the final synclavier release, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 6:55 pm 

Just got Monkies today, not only is the music just FANTASTIC, actually, just what I have been waiting for, but the cover is Gorgeous, freaking Hologram. Goes to show, you shouldn't start flapping your gums until you see the finished product. Thank you ZFT. Another great release.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:00 pm 

moggio wrote:
I received my CD of "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" today. I live in Canada. Had to get out my snowshoes and trudge across the tundra mile after mile to reach the mailbox.

Well, I'd like to say this is such an awesome release and order it if you haven't already -- and this would encourage the future release of "Dance Me This" -- the album I've wanted to hear since Frank mentioned it's future release in an interview back in '93 (or '92)?

So really, though Frank made a master of the first 3 tracks of "Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison" -- he did have 7 years to release it since it seems to be dated from 1986 after reading the liner notes. But did he release it? NO, because instead he focused on Broadway the Hardway, the 1988 tour, the live albums from the 1988 tour, YCDTOSA releases, the Ensemble Modern, and CP3. Plus, from what I read he was working on hundreds of synclavier pieces up to the time of his death.

My point.... though "Feeding...." is a nice release, I don't think Frank would have ever released it -- at least not the first 3 tracks he mastered as intended for a vinyl release. And I doubt he would have released the next 2 tracks, at least not the way they sound in this release.

I think Frank would have been focused on newer material he was working on in the early 90's, and would have released Dance Me This in '94 or '95 as he mentioned in that interview before his death, and then would have released more newer Synclavier material if he had lived longer.

Opinions are like Assholes, everyone has one. Ask Trendmonger.

I can understand Gail and Joe thinking this was worth releasing especially since Frank did a master of the first 3 tracks (sorry for repeating myself), but what we (???) really want is Dance Me This and newer early 90's synclavier compositions Frank was working on that may have still been on the hard drives when he passed away (or maybe some made it to tape as it was mentioned he often transferred pieces to tape.)

Track 1 - Feeding the Monkies at Ma Maison, a 20+ minute track would have been suitable for a digital download for $4.99 or $5.99 considering it's length.

I will still buy Dance Me This. Though I have a feeling that will be the final synclavier release, unfortunately.

Opinions are like Assholes, everyone has one; ask Trendmonger.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:06 pm 

moggio wrote:

well, yeah, as you mentioned, fz was dying...

I think gail and joe did a great job releasing this.
I still want to see 'dance me this' being released, the way fz saw it.
but, in the meantime, I'm happy with 'feeding the monkies at ma maison'. really happy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:09 am 

Dio Fa wrote:

So your point is opinions shouldn't be expressed here (less you wish to be associated with Trendmonger)? Unless it's you expressing the opinion of course. Back off.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:48 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
Dio Fa wrote:

So your point is opinions shouldn't be expressed here (less you wish to be associated with Trendmonger)? Unless it's you expressing the opinion of course. Back off.

No, not that not unless it is me expressing my opinion, as I rarely ever say anything here, ever. What I was trying to convey is, why all the break down and speculation of what FZ might have done, and this thing and that thing? Why not just be thankful that the vaults are open and we are fortunate enough to get a peek inside? Why not be thankful that we received anything at all? Why bitch and moan about things? That's all. As far as Trendmonger goes; Who Gives A Fuck Anyway?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:58 am 

Dio Fa wrote:
No, not that not unless it is me expressing my opinion, as I rarely ever say anything here, ever. What I was trying to convey is, why all the break down and speculation of what FZ might have done, and this thing and that thing? Why not just be thankful that the vaults are open and we are fortunate enough to get a peek inside? Why not be thankful that we received anything at all? Why bitch and moan about things? That's all. As far as Trendmonger goes; Who Gives A Fuck Anyway?

Sorry. Fair point. I suppose a forum is a place to express all kinds of opinions though... This place really needs a chat room where things can be thrashed out more easily. Sorry again for misunderstanding your point. I'm loving all the vault releases, and I'm STILL waiting for Monkies, but all the different views still do interest me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:21 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
Dio Fa wrote:

Sorry. Fair point. I suppose a forum is a place to express all kinds of opinions though... This place really needs a chat room where things can be thrashed out more easily. Sorry again for misunderstanding your point. I'm loving all the vault releases, and I'm STILL waiting for Monkies, but all the different views still do interest me.

Psst! There is a chat. Check out the General Board to find it!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:47 pm 

Thanks BBP, good stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:01 pm 

IrishBoris wrote:
Dio Fa wrote:

No worries man. ZAPPA RULEZ!!!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:21 am 

I just received my copy today. Great! I'm listening to Feeding Monkeys at Ma Maison (track 01) and I'm happy.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 am 

nico wrote:
I just received my copy today. Great! I'm listening to Feeding Monkeys at Ma Maison (track 01) and I'm happy.

Great! It's reached the EU! A day or two and it should get to Ireland, to be sure to be sure...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:06 am 

Just got this:

----------PRODUCT(S) SHIPPED
Qty Ship Sku/Item Description
2 ZPCD101/Frank Zappa Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison CD

So it is on the way! :)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:34 am 

Mine arrived this morning.... BUT the postman told me the parcel had been ripped open by customs and I now owe them 30 euro - I didn't have money in the house so he took it away! :cry:
I'm collecting it from the post office (with the cash) tomorrow... I can't wait!!! The torture never stops!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 6:13 am 

Just got this in an email! I'm stoked!

Dear Sir:

I represent the government of Nigeria. Recently a relative of yours passed away and left behind an estate of 1,000,000 US dollars.

Well, I can't tell you the rest because you'd all want to barge in. Suffice it to say I'm going to be rich, suckers!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:29 am 

johnnycat wrote:
That is why Louie Louie is my favorite rock and roll song, along with other rhyming R&R titles - wooly bully, hully gully etc, etc, and etc.

Wowie Zowie!

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:44 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
Just got this in an email! I'm stoked!

Dear Sir:

I represent the government of Nigeria. Recently a relative of yours passed away and left behind an estate of 1,000,000 US dollars.

Well, I can't tell you the rest because you'd all want to barge in. Suffice it to say I'm going to be rich, suckers!

Wow!
Collectively, I didn't think all of Nigeria had a million dollars.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20  Next