Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 3:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:36 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Also to reiterate, musictoday sucks. $8 to ship a CD :x Bastards. You're basically giving them a $5 tip on that. Best part for that price is my sleeve had a small crease in the corner due to their non-sturdy shit cardboard mailers :roll: . Not worth the hassle sending it back for a replacement.

I wasn't impressed with the slim tight fitting cardboard mailer either. My sleeve has a bit of a crunched spot and I noticed some light surface scratches on the disc.

I've been most impressed with Amazon's care with shipping CDs.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:49 pm 

Soracha wrote:
This got me back into Fz's synclavier stuff. Listening to Perfect Stranger right now. I like the primitive creepiness.

I like those pieces, too - especially The Girl InThe Magnesium Dress. I think it's as good as anything Zappa did on the Synclavier, and in a sense purer as electronic music than the later pieces. And more timeless, less obviously of an era.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:59 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Anyone notice on the back cover a typo- the track titles where the copyright year is listed - shouldn't Worms From Hell say 1987(year Video From Hell was released), instead of 1997?

Yes, it should have said 1987.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 5:04 am 

moggio wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Soracha wrote:
This got me back into Fz's synclavier stuff. Listening to Perfect Stranger right now. I like the primitive creepiness.

ummmmmm Perfect Stranger has nothing to do with synclavier, moron.

The Perfect Stranger album has 4 synclavier tracks.

i know that. i was just fuckin with him. hehehehe

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:07 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Soracha wrote:

I like those pieces, too - especially The Girl InThe Magnesium Dress. I think it's as good as anything Zappa did on the Synclavier, and in a sense purer as electronic music than the later pieces. And more timeless, less obviously of an era.

Can't put into context yet as you have/can- not yet listened to anything on synclavier beyond JFH, chronologically, and that only once to date (just gettin to/into Frank's 80's-90's stuff, synclavier included)- but have to agree you both, from 3-4 listens to date of The Perfect Stranger, that the synclavier forays on that release are awesome, really atmospheric and fit nicely in and about/with the orchestral material.

Only from reading at this point but you've confirmed what, from that reading, I've been expecting to find in Frank's synclavier works; ie the early stuff is more raw and/or electronic and then later on e.g. on CPIII it develops into more refined and/or defined use, more to resemble intruments and/or specific sounds, as opposed to more simple, loose, FM Synthesis. Looking forward to CPIII and/or FTMAMM. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:44 am 

As a simple matter of contrast with all the reviews by people who love this release, I'll finally admit, in print, that it just doesn't grab me at all. To me, it sounds like a bunch of random notes going nowhere in particular. As a collector, I had to buy it (I'd never get to sleep at night, knowing there was a Zappa release missing from my collection), but frankly, I've seen videos on YouTube of piano-playing cats that were more listenable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:35 am 

just plain doug wrote:
As a simple matter of contrast with all the reviews by people who love this release, I'll finally admit, in print, that it just doesn't grab me at all. To me, it sounds like a bunch of random notes going nowhere in particular. As a collector, I had to buy it (I'd never get to sleep at night, knowing there was a Zappa release missing from my collection), but frankly, I've seen videos on YouTube of piano-playing cats that were more listenable.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:37 am 

:mrgreen: Good one FD! And what a cute kitten!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:15 pm 

An imaginary double album from 1987:

Human/Non-Human: Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison/LSO 2

Side 1: Secular Humanism, Buffalo Voice
Side 2: Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison
Side 3: Bogus Pomp
Side 4: Worms From Hell, Bob In Dacron, Strictly Genteel

Perhaps the different weaknesses could have outweighed each other and made a strong album?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:24 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

i know that. i was just fuckin with him. hehehehe

lol ^^

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:29 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Soracha wrote:

Yeah, that one is one of his best synclav pieces. CPIII is timeless also, I'd say, but I agree that JFH and FZMTMOP sounds somewhat dated.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:47 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
An imaginary double album from 1987:

Human/Non-Human: Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison/LSO 2

Side 1: Secular Humanism, Buffalo Voice
Side 2: Feeding The Monkies At Ma Maison
Side 3: Bogus Pomp
Side 4: Worms From Hell, Bob In Dacron, Strictly Genteel

Perhaps the different weaknesses could have outweighed each other and made a strong album?

That's an interesting sequence -- gonna listen to it that way tonight -- thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 2:44 pm 

just plain doug wrote:

People used to (and maybe still do) say that about Franks guitar solos.
I can hear it tho'! It makes sense to me.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 2:36 am 

just plain doug wrote:

I had the same feeling when I first listened to Jazz From Hell (something like 20 years ago), I put it aside for some time and then gave it another go.
Patterns began to appear and now, it's all very familiar.
That music is very unusual, it take a little while to get into it, but once you got the drift...phew!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:16 am 

Funny innit, how everyone's different.... I've took to JFH pretty much instantly- though after 2 and 4 listens respectively, I prefer the less frenetic but more atmospheric compositions heard n The Perfect Stranger (guessing this will become mood dependent though, given the significantly different overall approaches-moods to each album's content). Come across several ppl now though for whom this wan't the case and JFH took a while and/or a revisit to click with....understand JFH tends to be the more accessible synclavier album for most but could probably then expand this for his other synclavier stuff/synclavier works in general, common criticism found of it bringing a cold, clinical feel to the music and/or that it can sound dated....looking forward to listening to more of his synclavier output and seeing what I make of it. 8)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:39 am 

I don't know what 'dated' means, really, or at least I don't think of it as a negative. I like things that fall into a place and time. "Timeless music," is all in the ear of the beholder.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:21 am 

WORMS FROM HELL!!!!! OH MY GOD!!!!!!! :shock: :mrgreen:

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:30 am 

BloodSugar00 wrote:
Funny innit, how everyone's different....

Absolutely, I remember hearing Orchestral Favorites for the first time in my early 20s and feeling I was missing something. I persevered and put it on again and again and began recognizing and anticipating passages and noticing the hooks, that were there all the time of course. This music isn't Status Quo (thank fuck), some get Frank's more complicated pieces straight away, some of us need a few listens. But, for me anyway, it ALWAYS pays off. I haven't "got into" Ma Maison yet, but I know I will. It's magical stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 12:46 pm 

I haven't taken out CPIII to compare yet, but I'm hearing some similarities between Worms From Hell and Beat The Reaper, even in the main melodic theme, if you can call it that. What do you think? Is there a family resemblance?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:13 pm 

I have no comment on the similarity, yet. After one listen all I can say is MOTHERFREAKING WORMS FROM HELL!!!!! I find the first 4 songs are far more similar to CP3 than Jazz From Hell, Sambo Funk is an in betweener. The epic opener, on first listen, didn't grab me, but I have no doubt on future listens it will do insane things to my brain. I love the super realistic clarinet warbling sound at the end, where for a moment you think you are listening to real world insturment sound, just to be immediately deluged with a bunch of synclavier insanity. Awesome. Any theories regarding the replacement of the spoon for the knife on the outside cover V. insert? It's a strange reversal as you'd start that meal out with a knife, then switch to a spoon for the sloppy melted mess. A reference to hearing earlier versions of songs 2 decades after their 'final' versions were released?

http://www.last.fm/music/fowl
http://www.deezer.com/en/#music/fowl
Your mental health requires buying my cd

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:32 pm 

brainpang wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

People used to (and maybe still do) say that about Franks guitar solos.
I can hear it tho'! It makes sense to me.

I understand it. It's music. It's not over my head. It would be a pain in the ass to learn on a real instrument. It rarely has a groove. I respect it but it's not the kind of music I prefer. His guitar playing is really a whole other thing. It's live improvisation, which I love. Emotion counts for a lot.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:38 pm 

I got my copies (2, as I always order) last week, and......
........this is a nice release, as all others are!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:33 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
It's not over my head.

Yeah it is.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:35 am 

downer mydnyte wrote:
His guitar playing is really a whole other thing. It's live improvisation, which I love. Emotion counts for a lot.

This has long been the chief criticism of Zappa for years upon years: that he is emotionless and cold (not to mention cynical).

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:41 am 

Got it today (fast shipping from musictoday with whom I have never had problems).

Ugly cover, peculiar liner notes (Todd doesn't seem very happy with the music), but a downright wonderful picture of Frank relaxing.

A first listen did not offer much surprise: A lot of eerie randomness which are yet very Zappaesque. I respect it, but I have never loved the Synclavier stuff. Too cold. Suits the approaching weather in Denmark a little to well. It will not be one of those albums I hear a lot. But it will get a second spin soon.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next