Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 3:27 am 

BBP wrote:
Dated is the exact opposite of timeless. It happens when something is so out of fashion people finally realize how ugly it is, which is what happened to disco, 80s synth, those 70s mumu dresses and what hopefully will soon happen to crocs and autotune. The problem with computerised sounds is it doesn't produce enough overtones, making it sound like barf, sharp and slightly painful.

All manner of disco and 80s synth is really popular with the young folks these days. There's a ton of bands producing what is labeled as nu-disco. I like it more than the original stuff.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:38 pm 

bloodsugar00 wrote:
...anything over aforementioned £18 threshold (soon to be £15) ...
have the sender remove the shrink wrap & write used cd : £11.85 on the customs form, 6 bucks to ship a single digipak, maybe $7.50 for a 4-cd box

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:47 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
bloodsugar00 wrote:
...anything over aforementioned £18 threshold (soon to be £15) ...
have the sender remove the shrink wrap & write used cd : £11.85 on the customs form, 6 bucks to ship a single digipak, maybe $7.50 for a 4-cd box

Thanks for insight... so would that be a maximum (for biggest single item) approximate total shipping of roughly $18 (if so would be same as to ship direct to UK from Barfko as happens)?

Just posted on same subject in Carnegie thread and Gandsmusic is a pretty feasible alternative to above, though I still think this indirect route is likely gona be better on orders of more that one item (were middleman charges gona acrue).

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:06 pm 

no, the sender writes a random credible fictitious value for the 'used cd' that's less than £15 [such as £11.85]; local shipping is $4 for up to 2 cds, so if your sender is also purchasing one zappa cd for themselves, they get the 2nd one shipped at no extra cost ... add $6.52 for a 7 ounce small package 1st class mail to the uk; the one digipak cd cost you $8.52 shipping [or $6.52 is your zappa buddy eats the entire 4 bucks local shipping]

if barfko doesn't consider a 4-cd box set as one cd item, it's $9 for local shipping up to $100 worth of swillco products; a 4-cd box would end up costing approx $7.50 international shipping plus half the $9 if your sender is also purchasing one zappa box set

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 8:32 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
no, the sender writes a random credible fictitious value for the 'used cd' that's less than £15 [such as £11.85]; local shipping is $4 for up to 2 cds, so if your sender is also purchasing one zappa cd for themselves, they get the 2nd one shipped at no extra cost ... add $6.52 for a 7 ounce small package 1st class mail to the uk; the one digipak cd cost you $8.52 shipping [or $6.52 is your zappa buddy eats the entire 4 bucks local shipping]

if barfko doesn't consider a 4-cd box set as one cd item, it's $9 for local shipping up to $100 worth of swillco products; a 4-cd box would end up costing approx $7.50 international shipping plus half the $9 if your sender is also purchasing one zappa box set

I get the "random credible fictitious value" practice, believe me, I've practiced this countless times (on Ebay, private sales and what not)! :mrgreen: It was the insight into actual figures involved I was after to assess how worthwhile would be.

On actual shipping costs, thanks for detailing. Sounds that bit better again to use american link then. Good to know. 8)

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 3:46 am 

I received the disc while at my place of drudgery last week instantly inserted it in the company computer, and was immediatly called away before it had cued up. I got back to the desk about 20 minutes later to see a couple of the builders, who are performing "immprovments" to our work place, with quizical expressions on thier faces,
one was saying to the other that this music (he didn't call it that) was making him very very angry!

I knew right away this was going to be another extra special FZT release.

Eventualy listened from start to finish in the car on the way home, and wasn,t angry at all.

For those who may find the FZ electronica difficult to enjoy, two words: head phones, real ones, cans not plugs, but be warned this music might just sneak up on you while your not listening and blow your head off

Very impressive thanks Frank

Now for Flo and Eddie, those guys make me a little angry, ha ha ha :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:51 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
I received the disc while at my place of drudgery last week instantly inserted it in the company computer, and was immediatly called away before it had cued up. I got back to the desk about 20 minutes later to see a couple of the builders, who are performing "immprovments" to our work place, with quizical expressions on thier faces,
one was saying to the other that this music (he didn't call it that) was making him very very angry!

Thanks for sharing that -- hilarious!
Years ago I was playing some Black Sabbath at my workplace, and judging by the facial expressions of a co-worker, I believe that it was causing him much pain and distress. So the next day I upped the ante and played some Celtic Frost.

Pissing off the world, one listener at a time... :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:16 pm 

Gray_Ghost wrote:
... this music (he didn't call it that) was making him very very angry!

I have a friend with widely varied tastes in music and has heard his share of FZ and his final take is that listening to FZ makes him angry and tense as well!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:05 pm 

Perhaps it's not anger, perhaps it's self loathing.

:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:40 pm 

polydigm wrote:

Well, anger is not a true emotion - it's a reaction to a deeper cause. To the best of my knowledge (until someone can prove otherwise), all emotions can be distilled down to two true forms: love and fear.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:53 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
Well, anger is not a true emotion - it's a reaction to a deeper cause. To the best of my knowledge (until someone can prove otherwise), all emotions can be distilled down to two true forms: love and fear.
I don't know, you've hurt my feelings now.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 3:58 pm 

polydigm wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:
I don't know, you've hurt my feelings now.

:mrgreen:

Ha! Feature that hurt, Polydigm.... :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 4:43 pm 

Feelings, nothing more than feelings.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:23 pm 

"I'm in the mood for like; simply because you're near me"

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:58 am 

I haven't got this yet, so - is there any relationship between this and Resolver & Brutality?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:38 am 

cyst-array wrote:
I haven't got this yet, so - is there any relationship between this and Resolver & Brutality?

I'm not that familiar with R+B, but I believe False Dichotomy said that the title track is a version of Resolver.

Anyways, this record is a must have. You can call it cold or inhuman or whatever. You can even argue that FZ didn't know enough about electronic music, like Klaus Schulze or Affenstunde by Popol Vuh, that whole European tradition. You can even say that it sounds "dated". Still, there's nothing like it, it's unique and genius music. And it grows on you 8)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 2:09 pm 

Yesterday i made my first post, thinking it would be going here. Instead, a second FMMM Phaze II was created. I don't know why. :oops:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:27 pm 

myourself wrote:
while listening to Worms From Hell i noticed synclavier samples (violin plucking??) used on The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue from Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (approx. 5:15). any one else catch that?
Anyone? I'm not sure I pick up violin plucking at that point on the Memorial track, but there's definitely Synclavier stuff in there. The plucking I can hear leading up to 5:15 sounds like one of the "instruments" on Pig With Wings.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 3:34 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I'm not that familiar with R+B

Start with some James Brown. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2011 8:00 pm 

polydigm wrote:
myourself wrote:
while listening to Worms From Hell i noticed synclavier samples (violin plucking??) used on The Eric Dolphy Memorial Barbecue from Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life (approx. 5:15). any one else catch that?
Anyone? I'm not sure I pick up violin plucking at that point on the Memorial track, but there's definitely Synclavier stuff in there. The plucking I can hear leading up to 5:15 sounds like one of the "instruments" on Pig With Wings.

What I'm hearing all through the track (in the background) is some positively manic sampling of the violins & cellos from the "Touring Can Make You Crazy" excerpt from "Bogus Pomp" (LSO).

Gotta love that Frank!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:53 pm 

gifts sent to the uk:
hmrc reference: notice 143.2.5 [july 2011]

only goods sent to the uk as a gift over £40 value [ $63.82, €45.93, 407.45元 ] are liable to import vat; customs duty also becomes payable if the value is over £135

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:10 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
gifts sent to the uk:
hmrc reference: notice 143.2.5 [july 2011]

only goods sent to the uk as a gift over £40 value [ $63.82, €45.93, 407.45元 ] are liable to import vat; customs duty also becomes payable if the value is over £135

Understood. Have you contacted HMRC at all to determine what the custom's duty percentage is/would be (for a CD and media-related item/s)? I've never, to date, imported something over that value threshold- fully declared at least- so have never encountered it. Have you?

Last time I went through their website delineating their practices etc couldn't find (and, in fact, due to number of varying charges dependent on item category, I think they directed you to phone them as too much to list on site).

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 5:09 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
polydigm wrote:

This really hits home to how I feel about things at large. I happen to veiw a lot of stuff that gets shovelled upon us come from the relm of fear, they may be singing about love and lust but the underlieing value of the music or movie is fear, and that is the fear of not having it bought and there fore no moola. Where as Frank comes from love, anger may have been a motivation for him, but the underlying emotion is love, Frank loved what he did and did what he loved. I veiw Zappa's music as a defragger for my brain. I don't own a TV or listen to radio but I get an awful amout of exposure just walking around, just going down to buy some milk I have to put up with the bombardment of FM radio ozzing out of shops, I'm sure you know what I'm on about here, everywhere you go there is this drivel sliming out of cheap speakers. I think as a grandeous statement I'd say we've been robbed of silence to the point where we're uncomfortable unless there is some sort of fashionable audio wallpaper, it so fucking sad I'm at the point of biting strangers on the arse in shopping malls or buying a shit load of silver mmm silver. GIABO

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:59 am 

Fingthish wrote:
This really hits home to how I feel about things at large. I happen to veiw a lot of stuff that gets shovelled upon us come from the relm of fear, they may be singing about love and lust but the underlieing value of the music or movie is fear, and that is the fear of not having it bought and there fore no moola. Where as Frank comes from love, anger may have been a motivation for him, but the underlying emotion is love, Frank loved what he did and did what he loved. I veiw Zappa's music as a defragger for my brain. I don't own a TV or listen to radio but I get an awful amout of exposure just walking around, just going down to buy some milk I have to put up with the bombardment of FM radio ozzing out of shops, I'm sure you know what I'm on about here, everywhere you go there is this drivel sliming out of cheap speakers. I think as a grandeous statement I'd say we've been robbed of silence to the point where we're uncomfortable unless there is some sort of fashionable audio wallpaper, it so fucking sad I'm at the point of biting strangers on the arse in shopping malls or buying a shit load of silver mmm silver. GIABO

I hear ya. That's the slime oozing out of their TV (or radio) sets! :wink:
I'm guilty of always needing audio wallpaper as well though. I think others have the right to play drivel if they want to. I'm sure many of them think that my selections are drivel to them.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 7:11 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
I think others have the right to play drivel if they want to.

This is a little "way out there," isn't it? I hope you are joking because the truth is, of course, that they don't. Are you a Communist?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 161 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next