Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: All albums "at once"?
PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:23 am 

Anybody ever do this: put all of your Zappa (if you indeed have it ripped to your computer) into a giant playlist and "randomize"?

I'm about two hours into 4 days and 3 hours of my FZ collection via the above method. I'm loving it, despite the odd rough segue or unfortunate song introduction (at the end of the Hammersmith version of "Muffin Man," FZ introduces "Black Napkins"--instead my Mac chose "Serious Fan Mail" from Greasy Love Songs.)

My pick for favorite random combo so far is: "Ian Underwood Whips it Out" followed by "Fountain of Love" (GLS version) followed by "Theme from the 3rd Movement of Sinister Footwear".

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:58 am 

take that playlist, chop it up into 100,00 clips @ approx. 3.564 seconds each, randomize, distill all conceptual continuity clues, & report back in 4 days

PostPosted: Sat Nov 05, 2011 1:32 pm 

I've done that once... great time :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 4:43 am 

Heard all the conceptual continuity twice during Zappadan. I hope everything will be going well with the family this year: last year a family casualty nearly interrupted my wrapping up, but I managed nonetheless.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:14 pm 

At last count I have 3,143 FZ tracks at a little over 250 hours listening time on my PC, it makes for one hell of a play list, and would be good grounds for a divorce
(if I was still married)

Thanks again Frank

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 pm 

Yes!
I do this all the time. I have the complete fz discography [minus the spoken word/documentary tracks] crammed onto a little 8 gig ipod nano. This is plugged into my hifi and plays randomly for several hours each day. It often throws up extraordinary juxtapositions, and makes you hear old familiar tracks in a new light.
In short, it is ace.
Frank woulda approved.
:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:48 pm 

I'm listening to all the YCDTOSAs at the moment starting with No 3 and working my way through in order to number 6. I may go back and do 1 and 2 later. There's some great stuff in there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 1:52 am 

I have my music player set to random/shuffle, however my self aware pc has a number of favorites on heavy rotate: when tears begin to fall, penis dimension and tiger roach seem to frequently make an appearence, the pc unfortunatly seems to have developed a liking for Flo and Eddie....At least it's all frank all of the time.

I really like the time machine aspect, Ray Collins in the 60's, Ike in the 80's, Ruth in the 70s back to Cucamonga, Yellow Shark, Bobby Martin etc.

And yes it's fantastic, when a seldom played, almost forgotten passed favorite pops up and you fall in love with the song and the album all over again.

Such a wide range and variety of music.

Music really is the best

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 9:25 am 

zomby truth wrote:
Anybody ever do this: put all of your Zappa (if you indeed have it ripped to your computer) into a giant playlist and "randomize"?

I'm about two hours into 4 days and 3 hours of my FZ collection via the above method. I'm loving it, despite the odd rough segue or unfortunate song introduction (at the end of the Hammersmith version of "Muffin Man," FZ introduces "Black Napkins"--instead my Mac chose "Serious Fan Mail" from Greasy Love Songs.)

My pick for favorite random combo so far is: "Ian Underwood Whips it Out" followed by "Fountain of Love" (GLS version) followed by "Theme from the 3rd Movement of Sinister Footwear".

Yes, and I throw in very short sound clips to add to the mayhem! (radio station ids, Casey Kasem, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, Ren&Stimpy, Cartman...etc. I have a couple thousand)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 11:24 am 

RogerDaltreysCape wrote:
zomby truth wrote:

Yes, and I throw in very short sound clips to add to the mayhem! (radio station ids, Casey Kasem, Sheldon from Big Bang Theory, Ren&Stimpy, Cartman...etc. I have a couple thousand)

Bazinga! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2011 2:49 pm 

I need to try this. I've got them all on a USB drive. All I need to do is put my car stereo on "random".