Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:49 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:58 am 

The Carnegie Hall thread has disintegrated into the usual nonsense by the usual nincompoops so I thought I'd just mention this here in a new thread.

For anyone who is apprehensive about the fact that the upcoming release is in mono I would advise you to check out the new Beach Boys SMiLE release. Although the outtakes are in stereo, the actual album is mastered in mono and if Carnegie Hall sounds one tenth as fine as this I will be a very happy customer indeed. Stereo does not always equal sonic perfection.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:56 am 

Or you can listen to the unreleased 2-LP "JABFLA" to hear what the Carnegie Hall recordings sound like. (Much better than you would expect, IMO, though there are no vocals on the available excerpts.)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am 

it's going to sound fine. STFU about it already!!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:37 pm 

Both initial comments in this thread are positive speculation about the upcoming release. This is (or should be) the entire mandate of a fan-based forum.

Stick to your own dung-flinging thread if you have nothing to offer.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 1:50 pm 

To sum up: It's going to sound fine.

</thread>

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:28 pm 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
Both initial comments in this thread are positive speculation about the upcoming release. This is (or should be) the entire mandate of a fan-based forum.

Stick to your own dung-flinging thread if you have nothing to offer.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

go suck a horse penis!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:43 pm 

Yes, SMiLE sounds awesome! I've been listening to it the past week quite a bit! I love the random bits in there with Brian looking for more hash joints and/or him "falling into" a piano. A hint of Civ Phase III, eh? :smoke:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:10 am 

Quote:
waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhh

go suck a horse penis!

Wow, what an intelligent riposte! As previously mentioned, you and the rest of the children have your own trendy little table to sit at. Please go back there and leave the grownups alone.

Now, on a RELATED topic:

As a composer who valued the studio as a tool to further his musical visions, I am certain that Frank was quite aware of the pioneering studio work by Brian Wilson, even if he may not have been a fan of the music itself.

The SMiLE outtakes are primers in xenochrony and razor-blade-and-tape editing. Wilson's approach to recording was an unusual (at the time) process that Frank would employ with great success a year later with Lumpy Gravy and We're Only In It for the Money (which is also available in a great-sounding mono version).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:43 am 

TwentySmallCigars wrote:
As a composer who valued the studio as a tool to further his musical visions, I am certain that Frank was quite aware of the pioneering studio work by Brian Wilson, even if he may not have been a fan of the music itself.

The SMiLE outtakes are primers in xenochrony and razor-blade-and-tape editing. Wilson's approach to recording was an unusual (at the time) process that Frank would employ with great success a year later with Lumpy Gravy and We're Only In It for the Money (which is also available in a great-sounding mono version).

I doubt it was an influence at all. Frank was obviously aware of all the non-pop pioneers in tape splicing, concrete, etc.

I never could stand the Beach Boys. I'll take Frankie Valli over 'em any day of the week.

BB songs CAN be great. It's my version of Dylan haters only liking the covers of his work because of the (perceived) horrific vocal. There's something about that BB sound that really bothers me, makes me want to smash furniture. For all the pioneering work (which I sorta recognize), if it doesn't work for me aesthetically, then I worry because what they end up influencing is even worse. Therefore, a stain upon Humanity!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:50 am 

brainpang wrote:
Therefore, a stain upon Humanity!

Puh-leeze.... If you don't like 'em, that's fine. But to say they're a stain upon humanity is taking it just a bit too far. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:07 am 

That was to illicit a larf. Aren't you in a comedy group?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:11 am 

brainpang wrote:
That was to illicit a larf. Aren't you in a comedy group?

Just as tastes/opinions in music differ, humor falls into the same trap.

I could point out admirable qualities and traits of all the bands/artists I loathe. But that's me...

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:14 am 

FZ mentioned liking "Little Deuce Coupe" and referenced it in a couple songs.

I have to agree that FZ would have had nothing to learn from Smile (even though I am a fan).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:20 am 

Yup, whether or not Frank liked it, I freaking love it! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:44 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
...I could point out admirable qualities and traits of all the bands/artists I loathe. But that's me...

Oh, man thats true! So many people think that they should never criticize anything they like and never compliment anything they don't like. Thank you for posting this! The world just became a better place for me!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:48 am 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
Oh, man thats true! So many people think that they should never criticize anything they like and never compliment anything they don't like. Thank you for posting this! The world just became a better place for me!

Totally. It happens politically all of the time. Life is not so black and white. There is a ton of grey/gray matter out there! (depending on which side of the globe you're on.....tee-hee)

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:23 pm 

eegads, I said I like their songs. Stop being so pedantic!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:22 pm 

BP, I was only commenting on the general nature of praise and criticizing. I actually am much along the lines of your opinions of the BBs. Not that I'd smash furniture, but anything unrealistically, ahem, smiley reeks of insincerity, in a way that Linus Van Pelt could never approve of. Then there are all those people who compare Brian Wilson and his harmony composition skills to Mozart, holy crap people come up with some mile-high overstatements.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:23 pm 

Beach Boys are awesome. I'm looking forward to finding SMiLE in my mailbox some day next week. I'm convinced I'll like it.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:15 pm 

Soracha wrote:
Beach Boys are awesome. I'm looking forward to finding SMiLE in my mailbox some day next week. I'm convinced I'll like it.

Have you already been exposed to 'Smiley Smile'? In my opinion, I dig that release better overall - but don't get me wrong, SMiLE is awesome too (and, let's face it, nearly the same)

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:26 pm 

BP, I was only commenting on the general nature of praise and criticizing. I actually am much along the lines of your opinions of the BBs. Not that I'd smash furniture, but anything unrealistically, ahem, smiley reeks of insincerity, in a way that Linus Van Pelt could never approve of. Then there are all those people who compare Brian Wilson and his harmony composition skills to Mozart, holy crap people come up with some mile-high overstatements.

Arkay, you could not be more right if you had taken thousands of vials of truth serum.

But anyway, I like Smile.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:00 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

Have you already been exposed to 'Smiley Smile'? In my opinion, I dig that release better overall - but don't get me wrong, SMiLE is awesome too (and, let's face it, nearly the same)

I have not. But I figure they can be fun to compare?

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:46 am 

Soracha wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

I have not. But I figure they can be fun to compare?

Yeah, 'Smiley Smile' was basically what the label came up with for a release when SMiLE collapsed due to Brian's nervous breakdown(s). Some of the tracks on there never showed up on SMiLE and I guess I "miss" them. Check it out and see what you think... and don't forget: that's McCartney on vegetable chomping! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:58 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
... and don't forget: that's McCartney on vegetable chomping! :mrgreen:

If yer into that sorta thing, you may wish to know he did the following with Super Furry Animals:
One of the tracks from the album, "Receptacle For the Respectable" featured Paul McCartney on "carrot and celery rhythm track" (a homage to his performance on the Beach Boys' "Vegetables")
- from Wikipedia

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2011 6:02 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
... and don't forget: that's McCartney on vegetable chomping! :mrgreen:

If yer into that sorta thing, you may wish to know he did the following with Super Furry Animals:
One of the tracks from the album, "Receptacle For the Respectable" featured Paul McCartney on "carrot and celery rhythm track" (a homage to his performance on the Beach Boys' "Vegetables")
- from Wikipedia

Yay! I'm actually a huge Super Furry Animals fan so I got a big kick out of that when I saw it in the liner notes. He actually sings backing vocals on the tune too and they're quite prominent! IMO, they slipped a bit later in their career but that album in particular (and 'Radiator' before it) is phenomenal! It was very innovative at the time b/c it was the first (that I know of) album to be released in DVD format with a different REAL video for each tune (each by a different director)! And the whole thing was mixed in 5:1. Outstanding use of it as well!

Image Image