The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:35 pm 

BBP wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
BBP wrote:
And it's painful to hear that translated into "Hel-lo... beau-ti-ful..."

Forgive me but I don't follow the reference. What's that?

Those are the first words to Dweezil's song Love Ride, album opener to Go With What You Know. Intro is OK but the rest is fairly lethal.
My sister was, like me, caught at his very good concert in Amsterdam in 2010, and she wanted to hear more so I put GWWYK on her MP3. She can't edit the playlist on her computer. When she came back to visit us she begged me to pull that song off and spent over an hour nagging at me how bad she thought it was.

I feel her pain. That is a pretty awful song.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 4:58 pm 

BBP wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
BBP wrote:
And it's painful to hear that translated into "Hel-lo... beau-ti-ful..."

Forgive me but I don't follow the reference. What's that?

Those are the first words to Dweezil's song Love Ride, album opener to Go With What You Know. Intro is OK but the rest is fairly lethal.
My sister was, like me, caught at his very good concert in Amsterdam in 2010, and she wanted to hear more so I put GWWYK on her MP3. She can't edit the playlist on her computer. When she came back to visit us she begged me to pull that song off and spent over an hour nagging at me how bad she thought it was.

Ahhh.... thanks for catching me up BBP! I'm fairly familiar with DZ's career up through Automatic and then I pretty much stopped so I wasn't aware of that tune. Again, thanks for the explanation! :lol:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 5:10 pm 

BBP wrote:
Maroual that's a very bad sign. You may suffer a type of noise-induced hearing loss. Consider checking your doctor.

Well, thanks for caring but I just feel uncomfortable over 80 dB and experience a slight pain over 100 dB.
I do not think this is linked to an abnormal condition, it is just aging.
As the volume in concert halls often exceeds 105 dB, I try to protect my ears as much as possible from any damages and tinnitus.

Post subject: Re: dweezil
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2011 8:23 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Dweezil had a music career of his own for many years that was drastically different than what he has morphed himself into at this point. And what he has morphed himself into is fucking great. He has dedicated his life and completely changed his playing style by studying the the music of his father.
I think that sums up it pretty good. we should let dweezil do whatever he wants to do.
he's keeping his dad's music, and heritage, alive.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:14 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Dweezil had a music career of his own for many years that was drastically different than what he has morphed himself into at this point. And what he has morphed himself into is fucking great. He has dedicated his life and completely changed his playing style by studying the the music of his father.
I think that sums up it pretty good. we should let dweezil do whatever he wants to do.

That sums it up as far as being an interpretive artist. Some folks think that he may have more to offer creatively. Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:39 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:
The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
That sums it up as far as being an interpretive artist. Some folks think that he may have more to offer creatively. Time will tell.
"time - he flexes like a whore." *

*bowie

and I have no idea why I'm posting that.
it just popped up. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:13 pm 

The Dweeze has grown as a guitarist by huge leaps and bounds.But, imo, he's never really written any great material of his own. Wouldn't it be cool if he discovered a latent, late developed gene for composing?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:33 pm 

The Dweeze has grown as a guitarist by huge leaps and bounds.But, imo, he's never really written any great material of his own. Wouldn't it be cool if he discovered a latent, late developed gene for composing?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 9:24 am 

To anyone who's ordered, does the $24.95 include shipping, or do you have to add s&h (and tax to NY) for this? I threw it in the cart, but have to create an account before going any further.

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 8:57 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
To anyone who's ordered, does the $24.95 include shipping, or do you have to add s&h (and tax to NY) for this? I threw it in the cart, but have to create an account before going any further.

Mine had $6.50 shipping for a total of $31.45. No sales tax on my order from here in Ohio.

Post subject: re: dweez live
PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:47 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

excellent cover art; good to see cal getting some exposure ... gz was/is pissed off at either ryko or cal for doing the covers to cheap thrills & the threesome box sets

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:02 am 

Received yesterday...promptly imported both CD's onto one...not sure why Dweezil decided to split them up into two...anyway...awesome performances! awesome sound! awesome edits! (ala Shut up and play your guitar)...grade: A Thank you Dweezil and band!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:56 am 

So some posters here take issue with Dweezil sounding "too much like Frank."

Let me get this straight....there's an issue with the lead guitarist in a band called Zappa Plays Zappa sounding like Frank Zappa?