Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:02 pm 

polydigm wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
I forgot that I'm no longer allowed to have an opinion. Please instruct me on what I am allowed to like or dislike from now on.
If this is aimed at me, I'm not trying to instruct anyone on anything except one point and that is that we all have a right to our opinions and not to be instructed by anyone else. Don't let the Beefheart bullies get you down.

BTW, maybe you should read the post from brainpang about your videos again and ask him what he means. I for one am now curious what his veiled point is there.

Most certainly not aimed at you, polydigm. You've never expressed to me (or anyone) "you're doing it wrong!" when it comes to our opinions. :wink:

Brainpang was being facetious. He was implying that after seeing my video it made him realize once again that FZ's genius inspires crap from musicians that followed in his footsteps (whereas Beefheart is a huge inspiration to a ton of great bands).
First of all, I never said that FZ had anything to do with influencing my tune nor my video. Second, I never instructed brainpang to watch it. I was being facetious right back at him telling him "Thanks for watching!" :mrgreen:
I'm totally inspired by Frank Zappa. I'm totally inspired by many artists (even <gasp><shock><awe>Beefheart!) However, neither of them were an influence on that tune. (I can only assume he's referring to my "Souls" video) from my upcoming album.

Brainpang, I can only assume you're a miserable SOB that doesn't have a steady steady. Please don't take it out on me - I'm a happy guy with a happy family. I love Zappa and Beefheart and (get this) having opinions (I'm pretty sure I'm entitled to them too!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:06 pm 

It's all meaningless. That's all one needs to remember. And to try to stop posting to every inane hiccup. Why are opinions so easily threatened? All are free to believe or say what they wants to.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:51 am 

polydigm wrote:
Beefheart is way overrated and marginally talented at best, and anyone who thinks they can reeducate me can just keep on spinning on the cosmic utensil.

Ignorance is bliss.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 1:30 pm 

I wonder what the chances are of this CD being sold at the merch table on the upcoming ZPZ US tour in June? That would be awesome, that and if there's a new FZ vault release out by then.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:20 am 

If ignorance is bliss, I wish I could be ignorant of the fact that there are way too many tossers in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:46 pm 

While I am at it, just in case anyone thinks I've got a closed mind on music in general, I was recently made curious enough to buy Primus's latest effort and while I hardly know anything about them and have never been a fan, I really like this album. It's been on heavy rotation for a couple of days now. I may be looking into more of their stuff in the near future.

Green Naugahyde - highly recommended.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:26 pm 

Yup, great album from them - best effort in years!

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 5:57 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
I probably said stuff like this before, but I think alot of that comes from the fact the many Beefheart fans get shit from nearly everyone they know about how CB is unlistenable and "turn that shit off". With the jarring rhythms and semi-nonsense lyrics most people just don't have the patience for it and even if they do it may just not be their kind of thing. So, in moments of hope, the Beefheart fan will point out clues as to how the non-CB fan can learn to appreciate it or at least be able to deal with it. Then, of course, the non-CB fan hears some of it again and hates the CB-fan even more for convincing them to try again. For some reason FZ used to get this treatment but doesn't as much any more. Years ago, if I was at a party or just hanging out with friends and put on FZ, people would quickly call for a change of tunes. Now, most of those same people like FZ (not all of it of course) but still can't listen to CB.
Me, I'm still psyched that there are people on this forum who like Blue Jeans & Moonbeams when the clear tide of "pompous asses" turn their collective noses up at it. (asses with noses?) That gives me hope that people aren't just listening to selected parts of the CB discography cuz its respected canon as I'm sure many people do with FZ LSO et al

What's funny is I think time has actually been kinder to Beefheart than it has to FZ, at least with the young indie rock crowd. I know a lot of 20-somethings who appreciate Beefheart but turn their noses up at FZ's music.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:00 am 

Thats probably true for Indie Bands. I see Indie Bands as a special case when it comes to taste. They are usually VERY specialized. The creativity often comes from stylization of a genre or point of view. That attitude will naturally have an easier time dealing with CB than FZ as FZ is so widespread in styles. Also, FZ was often relevent to a time in history with his "get it while its hot, I don't care if the future likes me" (paraphrased) attitude.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:01 am 

Thats probably true for Indie Bands. I see Indie Bands as a special case when it comes to taste. They are usually VERY specialized. The creativity often comes from stylization of a genre or point of view. That attitude will naturally have an easier time dealing with CB than FZ as FZ is so widespread in styles. Also, FZ was often relevent to a time in history with his "get it while its hot, I don't care if the future likes me" (paraphrased) attitude.

Both great points!

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:13 am 

When I encounter a Beefheart skeptic I start them out with tracks from Clear Spot, in this order:

Her Eyes Are a Blue Million Miles
My Head is My Only House Unless it Rains
Clear Spot
Low Yo Yo Stuff

Then I jump right to "I Wanna Find Me a Woman That'll Hold My Big Toe Til I Have to Go"

Also, as I have posted before, the White Stripes video of Blue Orchid/ Party of Special Things to Do is really good:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsnIdx8JSBY

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 2:12 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Green Naugahyde - highly recommended.

Every Primus album is a must own IMO. I'd recommend in order:
The Brown Album
Frizzle Fry
Pork Soda
Sailing The Seas Of Cheese
Tales From The Punchbowl
Animals Should Not Act Like People (CD EP/DVD)
Suck On This (live first album)
Antipop
Their "covers" albums are great too - Rhinoplasty & Miscellaneous Debris. Who else would cover Metallica, Jerry Reed, Peter Gabriel, The Meters, XTC & The Police?
Sausage - Riddles Are Abound Tonight(original Primus lineup, made a one-off album in '94)

Les' solo albums are quite good too.

About Beefheart's Bluejeans & Moonbeams, & Unconditionally Guaranteed. I don't hate those albums, they're just his two worst albums, there's no denying that. The worst Captain Beefheart albums are still better than the greatest albums from most of the FM rock staples like Eagles, Pete Frampton, Clapton, etc.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 4:46 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I don't hate those albums, they're just his two worst albums, there's no denying that.

Man, what is with you guys and absolutes? Why is no one allowed to deny that? I would put all of the Primus albums in a different order - or is that too "no denying" territory?
:roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I don't hate those albums, they're just his two worst albums, there's no denying that.

Man, what is with you guys and absolutes? Why is no one allowed to deny that? I would put all of the Primus albums in a different order - or is that too "no denying" territory?

Yeah, I'm denying that. I too, would have a different Primus order and not all of them are a must-own.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:12 am 

Heh, they are all SECRET Zappa fans. It's too nerdy for them to cop to, what they first discovered in Junior High, the gateway, and so they rebel.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:13 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Yeah, I'm denying that. I too, would have a different Primus order and not all of them are a must-own.

Holy fuck :? . Do you guys miss Trendmonger or something? It took me 30 seconds to list those Primus albums. My favorite one is whatever one I'm spinning at the time. Probably Antipop is least essential.

If you seriously think Unconditional... & Bluejeans... are Beefheart's best albums, you're not a real Beefheart fan. :P :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:16 pm 

I didn't say best, you said worst. As for real fans, go ahead wear yer silly crown, I don't want one.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 pm 

Here we go, different strokes and all...

The only one I've heard, and mildly enjoyed, is CHEESE. Got rid of it after a year or two, have no interest in hearing more.
I do have a solo Les record: Of Whales...
That held up last I listened to it. I have no idea how I ended up owning a copy, must have been a gift.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:51 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
If you seriously think Unconditional... & Bluejeans... are Beefheart's best albums, you're not a real Beefheart fan. :P :mrgreen:

True. I'm not a B-Fart fan. Sabbs is, so I made the effort to listen to 12, or so, albums, and Bluejeans was the one I liked the most. I still play one, at random, occasionally, but they just don't do it for me. (Except for "Ella Guru"...that song's cool. Don't ask me why I like it. I think it's the first one I ever heard by him.)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:30 pm 

Sorry, but Zappa fanatics who find Beefheart's music "too abstract to get into" cracks me the fuck up. There's a record store not far from where I live that stocks Beefheart under "Zappa related" rather than under "B", and they are incredulous as to why people are always asking where the Beefheart records are. I always thought they were fucking morons. This is just an extention of that.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:15 pm 

At least I'm a polite moron. 8)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:47 am 

Who cares who likes what as long as ya give it a shot, keep an open mind.
Here's a partial list of peoples music I don't care about:

Jimi Hendrix (all downhill after the first album of radio hits)
Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
The Clash
King Crimson (4 okay: Lark; Red; Bible that contain unbelievably embarrassing gay song sections. I like Discipline, perhaps for nostalgic reasons. The rest can be dumped in a lake).
Yes
Genesis
ELP
Primus
Buckethead
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
etc etc etc

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:57 am 

brainpang wrote:
Who cares who likes what as long as ya give it a shot, keep an open mind.
Here's a partial list of peoples music I don't care about:

Jimi Hendrix (all downhill after the first album of radio hits)
Pink Floyd
Grateful Dead
The Clash
King Crimson (4 okay: Lark; Red; Bible that contain unbelievably embarrassing gay song sections. I like Discipline, perhaps for nostalgic reasons. The rest can be dumped in a lake).
Yes
Genesis
ELP
Primus
Buckethead
Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
etc etc etc

Wow, sorry you feel that way but, guess what - it's your right!

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:48 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Wow, sorry you feel that way but, guess what - it's your right!

I forgot to include the Beach Boys...and Hermaphrodite Pascuale...

you realize I am picking bands I can recall people raving about on this board, right?
So don't get miffed anyone....

Lets add: Mike Keneally and Steve Vai, too.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:05 am 

brainpang wrote:
I forgot to include the Beach Boys...and Hermaphrodite Pascuale...

you realize I am picking bands I can recall people raving about on this board, right?
So don't get miffed anyone....

Lets add: Mike Keneally and Steve Vai, too.

I'm not miffed - it's your right to hate whatever you want to hate. I'm just sorry you feel that way.

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12  Next