Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:04 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I thought GZ eas saying in her post that she is not in control of the way Musictoday characterized the release as a zappa release.

This was a bit troubling but I put it down as probably some lazy temp worker's deed.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 4:06 am 

Lotsa press on the release already...what will Gail think when it outsells all posthumous Zappa product? Hopefully dig out more from the vault and let us have it.

'Course I love FZ but Don recordings are rare and therefore more desireable. I'm sure a lot of folks feel the same.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:45 am 

brainpang wrote:
Lotsa press on the release already...what will Gail think when it outsells all posthumous Zappa product? Hopefully dig out more from the vault and let us have it.

'Course I love FZ but Don recordings are rare and therefore more desireable. I'm sure a lot of folks feel the same.

Bat Chain Puller is a finished record, never released. Not much Zappa left behind to compare with that, aside from Lather, Trance Fusion and certain other titles often discussed but not yet released.

That said, I'm not sure this will sell better than all posthumous Zappa product, but I'm sure it will get more press from the Pitchforks and Rolling Stones of the world than all posthumous Zapa product (one doesn't necessarily lead to the other).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:52 am 

Either way, projecting $-sales and media hype shouldn't be thrown around. "Who gives a fuck anyway?" If you like the material, buy it! If you don't, don't!

It's nice to see product moving at a faster rate as-of-lately and I don't find it likely that every single release is going to bust every single fan's nut.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:32 pm 

Another thing that bothers me is that the cover(if it really is the cover) just says Beefheart, not Captain Beefheart and the Magic Band, which this should be classified as. I'd bet the spine and CD just say Beefheart too. BCP was not in any way intended as a Beefheart "solo" album. All albums before and after this(even the two sellout ones) had Magic Band in the title, either as "His" or "The".

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:14 pm 

It'll be what it is, and it ain't changin'.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:16 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:

Thanks, Captain motherfuckin' Obvious. :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:35 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

Thanks, Captain motherfuckin' Obvious. :shock:

You're welcome. Just knowing I helped is enough.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:46 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
That said, I'm not sure this will sell better than all posthumous Zappa product, but I'm sure it will get more press from the Pitchforks and Rolling Stones of the world than all posthumous Zapa product (one doesn't necessarily lead to the other).

I tend to agree. I've already seen a news blurb for it on the A.V. Club. Casual Beefheart fans might come across similar news articles and be directed to the Barfko Swill page, whereas I wouldn't even know about new FZ releases if I didn't regularly check this site.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:38 pm 

Now if Tom Waits could start talking about the Beefheart influence, like he's done before, the ball could get rolling even more. BCP is surely as accessible as many of his efforts, and better!

Btw - Scott Colby also played on the Beefheartian fourth side of Kaiser's Aloha, with French. There's a clip of them on youtube where they perform Lynn's Mad Money. Apparently Don got mad at Kaiser when he heard that album and called him up: "What are you doing, stealing MY drummer?!"

8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:28 am 

duh-leted

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 6:09 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
pbuzby wrote:

I tend to agree. I've already seen a news blurb for it on the A.V. Club.

It's in the New York Times today too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 8:27 am 

I reserve judgment on the cover art until the package arrives, but it would have been wonderful if they'd used Schenkel's Apes-ma print in some way.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:12 am 

I've ordered this today and I'm pretty excited. I've never even heard the bootlegged version or the official BTP that came out - if there is such a thing.
I like (sorry, love) his stuff up to Clear Spot.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:21 pm 

Dark Clothes wrote:
Now if Tom Waits could start talking about the Beefheart influence, like he's done before, the ball could get rolling even more.

A funny coincidence...Tom Waits was recently on the cover of Uncut Magazine. It came with a CD of tracks picked by Waits called Tom Waits' Jukebox or some such thing. The first track is Floppy Boot Stomp from BCP. Interestingly, they attribute it to the the Dust Sucker release in 2002 and even give it copyright info making it sound like a legit release. quite curious.

--edited for clarity

"Ya like horses?"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:13 pm 

dark clothes wrote:
... Schenkel's Apes-ma print ...

(l-r) don, unknown bearded person [possibly john thomas], jeff moris tepper, denny walley, john french and apes ma him/herself

PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:57 am 

Zappa put Schenkel's address in the 1980 tour book, and I ordered the Apes-Ma print from Cal in 1981. Have had it hanging on my living room wall(s) ever since. I am looking at it as I write. The reproduction here doesn't do it justice - in reality the printing quality is much better. I was hoping for this as BCP cover art... We'll see if it's reproduced in the booklet 8)

PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2011 12:20 pm 

I am in shock! :shock: Pleasantly shocked though.
I didn't think this would ever be released. I want this now!
I'm listening to it now. (Not the official release)
My copy is called the "JWB Transfer"
Here is the text file that came with it...

Captain Beefheart & The Magic Band
Bat Chain Puller (Unreleased 1976 LP)

1. Bat Chain Puller
2. Seam Crooked Sam
3. Harry Irene
4. Poop Hatch
5. Flavor Bud Living
6. Brickbats
7. Floppy Boot Stomp
8. A Carrot Is As Close As A Rabbit Gets To A Diamond
9. Owed T'Alex
10. Odd Jobs
11. The 1010th Day Of The Human Totem Pole
12. Apes-ma

PERSONEL:
DON VAN VLIET - vocals/tenor sax/soprano sax/bass clarinet
DENNY WALLEY - guitar/slide guitar
JEFF MORIS TEPPER - guitar/slide guitar
JOHN THOMAS - keyboards
JOHN FRENCH - drums/percussion/guitar

QUALITY: A+ Stereo Studio Recording

NOTES: This album was recorded in early 1976 but never released. This
particular dub was made from an ANALOGUE(1) copy given to a record company
employee by Beefheart himself. This same tape has been bootlegged on CDR with
excessive noise reduction, but this fresh new transfer is completely free of
NR. Don't be fooled by the European bootleg "Dust Sucker" which comes from a
very poor quality tape, and not the "Captain's original tapes" as the liner
notes claim. This copy is the real deal!"

The bonux trax look very tasty indeedy.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:36 am 

Please tell me that Jan Vliet is getting a piece of the pie on this. If not, then I am not interested...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:42 pm 

Good intentions on you - Jan should get some of the action. I saw CB during the LMDOB tour in Spring 71. Jan sat onstage towards the back while her man performed. She had her eyes closed, with a sweet glowing smile the entire time.
I don't think they had children - don't know. In fact, I am curious who it is that makes up the Vliet estate. Anyone know?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 12:48 am 

I asked Gail if everything is all right between Jan Van Vliet and her - no answer. The CD package will give some clues, I'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 2:41 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I asked Gail if everything is all right between Jan Van Vliet and her - no answer. The CD package will give some clues, I'm sure.

The cd package might give a list of endangered plant species in Antarctica, if you can call those 'clues'...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:12 am 

Quilt wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:

The cd package might give a list of endangered plant species in Antarctica, if you can call those 'clues'...

Very appropriate, with Don's ecological concerns, and Antarctica as a desert ecosystem. "I was born in the desert, way down by the South Pole."

8)

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:14 am 

They are legally obligated to pay both artist and publishing royalties to the Van Vliet estate. Please don't suggest the ZFT are planning to break the law, unless you have evidence to support it.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2012 11:34 am 

Not my intention at all - just curious about the money trail. If I wanted to perform a collection CB's songs on a CD to sell (yeah, good luck! :wink: ), what maze would I have to go through? Who would have to be paid? Basically I am asking who is it that owns the rights. Is it more than one company, or are all rights owned by the Vliet estate? And if so, who makes up the estate? My guess, right or wrong, is that several parties besides the Vliet estate, own the music rights, since he was on more than one label - then there is the Herb Cohen factor. The fact that ZFT can release BCP on their own hints that they possibly own the rights to the music, or at least the rights to PUBLISH the music - then you get into performance rights for the musicians involved. Is John French going to see anything out of this? Did Flo & Eddie get anything for CH? I am not being accusatory, just curious how the legal end of all this biz works.
As a working musician, this I DO know - the creative artist/musician, the one that actually CREATES the work to begin with, is always the LAST to get paid.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 276 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 12  Next