Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:47 pm 

http://www.zappa.com/fz/aaafnraa/2011aaafnraaaaam.html

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:43 pm 

Looking at the credits for Wowie Zowie it looks like they took the freakout master and had a child overdub the vocal. Is this correct?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:45 pm 

Ringo wrote:
Looking at the credits for Wowie Zowie it looks like they took the freakout master and had a child overdub the vocal. Is this correct?

gee. you're smart. :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:52 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Ringo wrote:

gee. you're smart. :roll:

Well, I've not heard the thing so one wants to be sure but assuming this is what they have done then I wonder, how come Gail can bang on about protecting the composers integrity?

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reworks and i'm sure the family having fun is, much fun but I should be able to take a Zappa composition and fuck about with it and make my interpretation. Those who listen can judge for themselves if I did something interesting that was respectful to the composition or otherwise.
But from what Gail says I shouldn't be able to do this But she can. I don't get that :?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:19 pm 

She is family, you aren't.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:21 pm 

So it looks like trax 8 & 9 are the FZ tracks worth grabbing for unreleased FZ? Hope I'm being smart.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:25 pm 

Ringo wrote:

They used a time machine.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:31 pm 

Serj Tankian?

I HATE THAT ANTI-AMERICAN NO TALENT CUNTFACE!!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:00 pm 

'dead girls of london' with vocals by van morrison. :P

never even heard about that one before.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:13 pm 

'Dead Girls..." awesome track...who is Phil Palmer?...I wish FZ had played some guitar on this track. Great sound quality overall. I dig the version of "wowie zowie" done by his grand daughter, Mathilde.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:34 pm 

So, it's worth buying? :? +ITUNES+ :(

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:29 pm 

What does that mean - Anti-American?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:43 pm 

Canada's the new America, bitch

The U.S. is going to hell in a handbag.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:54 pm 

"Anti-American?" I think he means cuban People :evil:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:19 pm 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Van did the vocals during the Touch Me There sessions, but his record company wouldn't allow him to appear on the album. This track is one of a handful good reasons to get this bundle... some time....

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:14 am 

My only complaint, and I believe a valid one, is about why Australians have to pay over 50% more than Americans. ITunes Australia sucks big time. I have bought all the AAAFNRAA bundles and much other stuff besides, but the prices suck. When I can buy a bundle of original CDs and get them delivered to my door for cheaper than I can buy sub quality digital copies on iTunes, you have to ask where they get their prices from.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:16 am 

Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Still a lot to learn for you youngsters.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:28 am 

Ringo wrote:
... I wonder, how come Gail can bang on about protecting the composers integrity? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for reworks and i'm sure the family having fun is, much fun but I should be able to take a Zappa composition and fuck about with it and make my interpretation. Those who listen can judge for themselves if I did something interesting that was respectful to the composition or otherwise. But from what Gail says I shouldn't be able to do this But she can. I don't get that :?
I have to agree with this. I'm a composer and I love my family, but none of them have a particularly developed understanding of music or composition and certainly none of them would be particularly "qualified" to take charge of my compositional intent or wishes as to how covers of my music should be handled any more than anyone else on the planet. Basically, I care that my opinions on life, the universe and everything, etc, might get misrepresented, but anybody can do what the hell they like with my compositions and let anyone else who wants to listen decide whether it's worth listening to or not.

Now, maybe because I'm not an established composer, my opinion doesn't count for anything, take it or leave it, I could care less.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
My only complaint, and I believe a valid one, is about why Australians have to pay over 50% more than Americans. ITunes Australia sucks big time. I have bought all the AAAFNRAA bundles and much other stuff besides, but the prices suck. When I can buy a bundle of original CDs and get them delivered to my door for cheaper than I can buy sub quality digital copies on iTunes, you have to ask where they get their prices from.
Stop whinning and get your hair cut as everybody else :mrgreen:

polydigm wrote:
I have to agree with this. I'm a composer and I love my family, but none of them have a particularly developed understanding of music or composition and certainly none of them would be particularly "qualified" to take charge of my compositional intent or wishes as to how covers of my music should be handled any more than anyone else on the planet. Basically, I care that my opinions on life, the universe and everything, etc, might get misrepresented, but anybody can do what the hell they like with my compositions and let anyone else who wants to listen decide whether it's worth listening to or not.

Now, maybe because I'm not an established composer, my opinion doesn't count for anything, take it or leave it, I could care less.
This is crystal clear. But this is not how market economy works.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 3:43 am 

Reset_w wrote:
So, it's worth buying? :? +ITUNES+ :(

WTF? Aren't you an adult person? Shall someone else decide that for you? Go to iTunes and listen to the samples. Then YOU decide whether you need this or not.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:03 am 

I think people are wondering what are the tracks that are true FZ recordings. The live versions, tracks 8 & 9, sure. Track 1? nope. The Van Morrison one ? Questionable, since FZ doesn't perform on it, but is listed as Artist. Maybe that one falls in with the Grand Funk recordings - FZ at least played guitar on those but it is still a GFR recording, so not needed - at least for my collecting purposes that is. The FZ/ZPZ? Not really, it is just overdubs on top of what FZ had already released (no different than Wowie Zowie - not counting the musicianship of those involved). The others seem to be cover versions, don't need'em.
Correct me if I am wrong - please - I need to keep my FZ (and FZ only, no overdubs after the fact or friend and family "interptretations) collection complete!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:41 am 

Silk Chariot wrote:
'Dead Girls..." awesome track...who is Phil Palmer?...

British session musician (like the rest of the band).

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:34 am 

Thinman wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Th.

That was hard to get in the trading circuit in the 80s. Well, it is a FZ produced track, composed by FZ and here in its original recording so that should be the reason alone to buy the collection. (The rest, except the two FZ tracks I'll never listen to....)

And poly: Agreed on the integrity thing.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:47 am 

HJ wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Lumpy Gravy wrote:

Th.

That was hard to get in the trading circuit in the 80s. Well, it is a FZ produced track, composed by FZ and here in its original recording so that should be the reason alone to buy the collection. (The rest, except the two FZ tracks I'll never listen to....)

And poly: Agreed on the integrity thing.
I got in the 80s maybe early 90s on bootleg leatherette.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2011 9:02 am 

FZ played it on the radio in 1979.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next