Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: re: bb 2011
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:04 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
butchered lyrics on nanook:
swooped down [scooped down]
dog doo doo snowcone [dog do snowcone]

nothing against the few slightly 'foriegn' pronunciations, that was probably the best part[/color]


Tough crowd! Like I said, your opinion. Sorry, but 'foriegn' is foreign to me! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:17 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Or what about Frank himself on "Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?" on the Buffalo release? He trips, stumbles, fumbles, all-but-trainwrecks the lyrics on that one. He's the one who wrote the tune in the first place. If Serj is slammed for saying "doo doo" instead of "doo", surely we must chastise Frank for fumbling "Honey" so badly... :wink:

Incidentally, that is why I rated "Honey" 2/5 stars in my iTunes rating. It was funny to hear and when I hear it the album all the way through, I'll listen to it - but otherwise, I want to remember "not to come back" to that version if I have the choice.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 26, 2006 7:07 am
Posts: 1346
Location: Paris, France
zappafanseeker@iTunes Store/Customer Reviews wrote:
I've listened to Wowie Zowie three times so far, and haven't made it through without crying yet. The song is perfect. I am so happy just with this one song, it is easily worth the album price!!!! Any Zappa fan is gonna love it, but so should the rest of the world. I just played wowie zowie over the phone to my friend Amy in Oklahoma, and her three year old son got very excited, and kept saying "baby singing, baby singing!!!!". IMHO this song deserves to be not only a single, but on the radio, Number one...with a bullet! Thank you Gail, Thank you Joe, Thank you Moon, and really big Thank you Mathilda! Happy Birthday Frank...Merry Christmas to the growing Zappa tribe, will love you guys forever! Thanks for this delicious holiday nugget!!! Oh, yeah... the rest of the album is well on its way to bein severly fabulous...at last these guys may have figured out a way to get their cruddy music on the radio. Can't wait to hear whats next from the bottomless vault, but I now know for sure what the number one song of the year is in my book.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:46 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 03, 2003 3:45 am
Posts: 9358
Location: EINDHOVEN
That just... made me vomit.

_________________
Image
Join the PackardGoose forum! Send me a PM!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:18 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14854
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Or what about Frank himself on "Honey, Don't You Want A Man Like Me?" on the Buffalo release? He trips, stumbles, fumbles, all-but-trainwrecks the lyrics on that one. He's the one who wrote the tune in the first place. If Serj is slammed for saying "doo doo" instead of "doo", surely we must chastise Frank for fumbling "Honey" so badly... :wink:

Incidentally, that is why I rated "Honey" 2/5 stars in my iTunes rating. It was funny to hear and when I hear it the album all the way through, I'll listen to it - but otherwise, I want to remember "not to come back" to that version if I have the choice.


Well, if you want to get particular, Frank was doing the song live, and this Serj guy probably had more than one take to get it right.

But I'm not going to put anything down.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:27 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
calvin2hikers wrote:
Well, if you want to get particular, Frank was doing the song live, and this Serj guy probably had more than one take to get it right.

But I'm not going to put anything down.


Good point, Cal. Then how about Frank's mess-up on the dialog of "Muffin Man" or his narration as the Central Scrutinizer. :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 3:58 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 14854
PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Well, if you want to get particular, Frank was doing the song live, and this Serj guy probably had more than one take to get it right.

But I'm not going to put anything down.


Good point, Cal. Then how about Frank's mess-up on the dialog of "Muffin Man" or his narration as the Central Scrutinizer. :wink:


He's supposed to be perfect?

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:01 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
calvin2hikers wrote:
He's supposed to be perfect?


Ha - god no! I'm just fine with both FZ and Serj "messing up". :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 4:11 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2233
Trendmonger wrote:
if anyone wants some good artistic integrity poetry seek the path to these clues.

Clue number one. DIVAN by FZ. Clue Number Two "LeFrak City" Poetic Conceptual Continuity by FZ. Clue Number Three ......

"May you never hear vloerbedekking again!"

Clue number 5....
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 16, 2003 7:29 pm
Posts: 9582
penguin in bondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Well, if you want to get particular, Frank was doing the song live, and this Serj guy probably had more than one take to get it right.

But I'm not going to put anything down.
Good point, Cal. Then how about Frank's mess-up on the dialog of "Muffin Man" or his narration as the Central Scrutinizer. :wink:
yea, live vs studio, and my inclination is to cut frank a bit of slack on live material, especially the stuff he didn't release himself

the muffin man & the scrutinizer fuckups were intentional or we never woulda known

serjie's couple of fuckup's are minor compared to the missing lines

_________________
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:09 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
yea, live vs studio, and my inclination is to cut frank a bit of slack on live material, especially the stuff he didn't release himself

the muffin man & the scrutinizer fuckups were intentional or we never woulda known

serjie's couple of fuckup's are minor compared to the missing lines[/color]


Yeah, I was just giving you a hard time with the FZ comparisons. :wink:
But yes, now that I've listened to the tune again (and not while working like last time) - I realize what you're talking about with the missing lines. I didn't realize just how many were taken out. I wonder why that decision was made and who made it. Maybe that's why it's called "Yellow Snow" instead of "DETYS"? That track was "Engineered, Produced & Mix by Jared Lee Gosselin" - so I'd say, blame Jared on that one, not Serj. :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
Maroual wrote:
zappafanseeker@iTunes Store/Customer Reviews wrote:
I've listened to Wowie Zowie three times so far, and haven't made it through without crying yet. The song is perfect. I am so happy just with this one song, it is easily worth the album price!!!! Any Zappa fan is gonna love it, but so should the rest of the world. I just played wowie zowie over the phone to my friend Amy in Oklahoma, and her three year old son got very excited, and kept saying "baby singing, baby singing!!!!". IMHO this song deserves to be not only a single, but on the radio, Number one...with a bullet! Thank you Gail, Thank you Joe, Thank you Moon, and really big Thank you Mathilda! Happy Birthday Frank...Merry Christmas to the growing Zappa tribe, will love you guys forever! Thanks for this delicious holiday nugget!!! Oh, yeah... the rest of the album is well on its way to bein severly fabulous...at last these guys may have figured out a way to get their cruddy music on the radio. Can't wait to hear whats next from the bottomless vault, but I now know for sure what the number one song of the year is in my book.

Did someone else notice that this review and the majority of ZPZ concert reviews here are all written in the same writing and typing style? I guess they are all written by the same single person. Either by a deranged fanatic (Trendmonger)?, or even worse, by a member or employee of the ZFT. Disgusting!

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:59 am 
Offline

Joined: Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:51 pm
Posts: 355
Thinman wrote:
Did someone else notice that this review and the majority of ZPZ concert reviews here are all written in the same writing and typing style?


It IS Trendmonger - this review is linked in his page at Dweezil's World. By the name of Gary Titone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:39 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Aug 23, 2002 3:29 am
Posts: 5039
balint wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Did someone else notice that this review and the majority of ZPZ concert reviews here are all written in the same writing and typing style?


It IS Trendmonger - this review is linked in his page at Dweezil's World. By the name of Gary Titone.


When it comes to putting on the Sherlock Holmes detective hat time and time again I have seen so many forum members fail in that regard.

I pledge an oath! Where one man might say, On a stack of bibles, I ponder the thought of placing my hand on my FZ collection. Some might get a laugh but in all sincerity I was not involved in that review nor have I read any reviews out at the ITunes domain. I did find what was supposedly copied and pasted here interesting.

_________________
Trendmonger's Moment Of Clarity

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:42 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
balint wrote:
… It IS Trendmonger …

Here are a few randomly picked ZPZ concert reviews:

http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewto ... ?f=2&t=378
http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewto ... ?f=2&t=382
http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewto ... ?f=2&t=329
http://www.zappa.com/reviewboard/viewto ... ?f=2&t=322

It's all the same. Also note that most of the writers are at that moment new members and remain one-timers. If the administrator could find out that all of these come from the same source (which is pretty much obvious to me just by the style and content), I would call it spam and the source should be banned. Otherwise a forum like this would be rendered useless.

Remember when Trendmonger showed up on KUR under different names? See my signature.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
He's supposed to be perfect?


Ha - god no! I'm just fine with both FZ and Serj "messing up". :wink:

The faults of a master are divine, while the mistakes of an apprentice are inexcusable!

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 5:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Dark Clothes wrote:
The faults of a master are divine, while the mistakes of an apprentice are inexcusable!


Wow. You really believe that? :roll:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 7:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Nov 03, 2002 8:06 pm
Posts: 1992
Location: Canada
I had Itune, i downloaded again & still cant get the this Bundle.
Do i need to delete Itune before re installing??

_________________
'N then I might just Jump back on An' ride Like a cowboy Into the dawn to Montana


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Zut_boF wrote:
I had Itune, i downloaded again & still cant get the this Bundle.
Do i need to delete Itune before re installing??


Better try Apple's customer support. :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:40 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:16 am
Posts: 2458
Trendmonger wrote:
balint wrote:
Thinman wrote:
Did someone else notice that this review and the majority of ZPZ concert reviews here are all written in the same writing and typing style?


It IS Trendmonger - this review is linked in his page at Dweezil's World. By the name of Gary Titone.


When it comes to putting on the Sherlock Holmes detective hat time and time again I have seen so many forum members fail in that regard.

I pledge an oath! Where one man might say, On a stack of bibles, I ponder the thought of placing my hand on my FZ collection. Some might get a laugh but in all sincerity I was not involved in that review nor have I read any reviews out at the ITunes domain. I did find what was supposedly copied and pasted here interesting.


All you pledge is complete bullshit you irritating CUNT!
THRUSH!

_________________
"drums are too noisy, 'n you've got no corners to hide in"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:55 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
The faults of a master are divine, while the mistakes of an apprentice are inexcusable!

Wow. You really believe that? :roll:

Well, yeah, in the sense that I do enjoy all the Zappa "mistakes" that you have mentioned, because they are 100% aafnraa Zappa, while I have little tolerance for the blunders of wannabe cover artists. HDYWAMLM Buffalo? Hilarious, comic relief, a glimpse into Zappa's (malfunctioning) thought process at one particular moment in time. This is just as enjoyable to me these days as the "flawless" track on ZINY. Not to mention your other examples, which Frank actually preferred to perfect tracks, undoubtedly because they contributed to the famous "cheap college play effect" 8)

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Dark Clothes wrote:
Well, yeah, in the sense that I do enjoy all the Zappa "mistakes" that you have mentioned, because they are 100% aafnraa Zappa, while I have little tolerance for the blunders of wannabe cover artists. HDYWAMLM Buffalo? Hilarious, comic relief, a glimpse into Zappa's (malfunctioning) thought process at one particular moment in time. This is just as enjoyable to me these days as the "flawless" track on ZINY. Not to mention your other examples, which Frank actually preferred to perfect tracks, undoubtedly because they contributed to the famous "cheap college play effect" 8)


Hey, your opinion... you're certainly entitled! I love the Muffin Man and Scrutinizer mistakes as well. They wouldn't be as awesome if they were flawless! However, the Buffalo one annoys me. That's just me.

Another opinion of mine, however, is that I don't view Serj Tankian as a "wannabe cover artist". I feel that he has successfully established himself as a unique artist and has offered many more originals in life than covers. I don't personally care for the bulk of his solo career but I do enjoy quite a few of the tunes that he has contributed to System of a Down over the years. Call him whatever you'd like - just know that it is [b]this]/b] reporter's opinion that your commentary on him shows that you aren't fully aware of his accomplishments to the music scene. :wink:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:20 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2005 7:11 am
Posts: 1023
Location: North German Wasteland
I once thought that System Of A Down were a promising band. But I was wrong. They didn't develop.

I once thought that Serj T. was right to start a solo career, because SOAD didn't develop. I was wrong again. He didn't develop either.

Th.

_________________
Active forum member since 2005 - R E T I R E D from public forum activity in 2013


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 11:53 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3178
Location: Chicago, IL
Thinman wrote:
I once thought that System Of A Down were a promising band. But I was wrong. They didn't develop.

I once thought that Serj T. was right to start a solo career, because SOAD didn't develop. I was wrong again. He didn't develop either.

Th.


I felt they developed, peaked and then waned. I think their hiatus was made at a good point in their career. I fully expected Serj to go on to do impressive things and Daron would waste his efforts on drug abuse. I was startled to find myself not caring for Serj's career (but did see others I knew digging his stuff) while I was blown away at Daron's next project, Scars on Broadway. He blew that band up before it even got off the ground though (most likely tied to the afore-mentioned drug abuse). I still hold out hope that Serj and Daron will make great music together again in the future.

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2011 12:55 pm 
Offline

Joined: Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:33 am
Posts: 3529
I haven't heard it, nor last years, but it IS supposed to be a party, right? Like a drunk one.
It's all about kissing the ring, the blessing, is that the point, I wonder?
Anyway, who cares? I guess some do.
Happy New Year. Which may be difficult in a US Presidential election year...


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 166 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group