Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:37 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:38 pm 

Where to find new Frank Zappa CDs online? Apparently nowhere. Have also been noticing stock going down, or gone, from most stores I visit. Whereas 5-7 years ago selection was wide, now it's almost gone. I already own 65 Frank Zappa CDs so I don't need any, but has Warner Brothers ceased production? Are we in for another dry period for Frank Zappa? Will new fans have to resort to buying old vinyl yet again, as I did in the early to mid 1980s?

Seriously. I think Warner Brothers has put an end to production of the Ryko FZ CDs. Or does anybody else know what is up?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

Isn't CD production in general phasing out?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:07 pm 

I was just noticing that all the FZ on amazon (new or used) has become pretty pricey. It's going to take a while to rebuild my collection at this rate.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:47 am 

slime.o. might know if it's a legal thing,I mean Ryko did win the suit brought by the ZFT I believe.So out of spite they let the Zappa name and product lie fallow....naw they're capitalist......I hope. :? Box Set? :D Or driving the price up? :x All pure speculation by me of course. :|

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:30 am 

Mercado Livre: http://www.mercadolivre.com.br
Search (Buscar) Frank Zappa CDs...
http://produto.mercadolivre.com.br/MLB-214087541-frank-zappa-sensacional-coleco-com-53-cd-originais--_JM

1 U$ = 1,8 R$ roughly...

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:05 am 

http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:35 pm 

KillUgly2 wrote:
I was just noticing that all the FZ on amazon (new or used) has become pretty pricey. It's going to take a while to rebuild my collection at this rate.

Why not shop around for used copies? Used CDs are dirt cheap these days.

Edit: Oops, I totally glossed over your "new or used" there. I would still check out Ebay. They seem to have a good number of CDs on there as Buy It Now offers for less than $10. It's kind of crazy how nuts the prices on Amazon are now. Several years ago, it looked like Ryko was practically giving their FZ CDs away. They slashed so many of the double CD sets down to $15 seemingly right after I completed my YCDTOSA collection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 4:26 am 

AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

No there is more cd DVD being sold than ever with all the computers around you must be thinking of LP :P

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 11:05 am 

In shops I rarely see "proper" CDs; if there's any Ryko they usually have such pixellated artwork it looks like they're illegal.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:04 pm 

BBP wrote:
In shops I rarely see "proper" CDs; if there's any Ryko they usually have such pixellated artwork it looks like they're illegal.

It's been a while since I've checked out the Zappa section in any CD stores, but I do know it's been a long time since I've seen any new copies with those nifty little paper sleeves Ryko used to put on all the '95 releases. For a while there, I was actually saving all of those. Not sure if I still have them.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2012 2:30 pm 

cleon wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

No there is more cd DVD being sold than ever with all the computers around you must be thinking of LP :P

Sales of vinyl records jumped to 3.9 million in 2011, up from 2.8 million in 2010, according to figures released by Billboard.com. And that 39 percent increase came on top of a 14 percent increase the year before that made vinyl, once left for dead, the fastest-growing segment of the music market.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... _in_t.html

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 4:21 am 

pedro2 wrote:
cleon wrote:
AGuyWithAWrench wrote:

Sales of vinyl records jumped to 3.9 million in 2011, up from 2.8 million in 2010, according to figures released by Billboard.com. And that 39 percent increase came on top of a 14 percent increase the year before that made vinyl, once left for dead, the fastest-growing segment of the music market.

http://www.mlive.com/business/west-mich ... _in_t.html
You can forget Trying too educate somebody with a load of made up numbers statistic are for people who can't think for themselves :D