Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:30 pm 

polydigm wrote:
...For example, I really don't get having official release numbers for the Old Masters boxes. They're not new albums. I count the three SUAPYG discs as one album. Similarly Vol 1 & 2 of LSO. I understand that release numbers are an at the time thing, but we've had plenty of time to review all this by now.

Neither the SUAPYG box set, the JG 3 volume version nor the LSO double volume version have release numbers but the Old Masters boxes do

...FZ produced albums (meaning almost all new compositions), I make it at about 42...

man, your total keeps dropping every time you calculate it

lso: 1st released by fz as 2 single lps, released by ryko many years later as a compilation double cd ... do you consider freak out, absolutely free & woiiftm one album; you should, the threesome box sets compilations are no different than the lso 1/2 compilation

sunpyg: 1st released by fz as 3 single lps, released by fz later the same year later as a 3 lp box, only 8 tracks were new, the rest were new solos from songs previously released ... you could own one, two or all three albums so why wouldn't they be each considered an official release; the triple lp or cd box set is just another compilation

jg: 1st released by fz as one single & one double lp, same category as sunpyg, you could own one without the other ... the triple lp or double cd box set is just another compilation

om boxes: at the time of release, the only way to own the mystery discs was to buy om1 & om2; for that reason alone you got 2 bona-fido official releases & the ryko mystery disc cd released 12 years later is just another compilation ... om3 may be your only legit candidate where an official number is debatable

back on topic, downloads don't count as official albums... the zappa catalog thru 100 means 9 more non-preorderable physical products including disc, packaging, liner notes, shrink wrap & either a price tag sticker or a mailing label

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:07 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:07 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
polydigm wrote:
...FZ produced albums (meaning almost all new compositions), I make it at about 42...
man, your total keeps dropping every time you calculate it
There's no smiley face ... I'm trying to guess that you're joking ...

Just in case: I do not keep recalculating the number. Each rough number I came up with applies to a different category and my guiding principle is how I would introduce FZ's works to someone just beginning their interest in Zappa. I am definitely not trying to say there are really only 42 FZ albums worth having.

There are about 82 truly distinct albums that have been officially released so far, from my personal point of view, a subset of which are about 61 that FZ produced himself, released mostly before but some after he died, and the remaining releases being basically archival projects from the ZFT. There're always exceptions, for example, you could argue EIHN in one group or the other.

I am not saying that the list of 42 albums I mentioned are his only true oeuvre, but they are the ones that I originally, way back when they first came out, really had the most respect for. It's the list I would recommend working through first and not in order chronologically either.

As I grew into my interest in FZ's music I was initially very hungry for albums with all new compositions. Towards the end of his living career I was getting a bit jaded in that department, but after he died I was willing to accept and grew to enjoy all the YCDTOSAs and the compilations like BBYNHIYL & MAJNH. Those latter two particularly are very enjoyable and have some unique gems on them. My least favourite albums to date remain both his multi guitar solo extravaganzas and that's given that he still remains my favourite guitarist of all time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:41 am 

Capt. Kiirk, I loved your song. Truly intestinal. Keep up the good work.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:05 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
lso: 1st released by fz as 2 single lps, released by ryko many years later as a compilation double cd ... do you consider freak out, absolutely free & woiiftm one album; you should, the threesome box sets compilations are no different than the lso 1/2 compilation

The only special thing about the threesome is the cardboard wrapping - the CDs themselves are the ordinary 1995 Ryko editions. Which reminds me of FZ's comments about "cardboard fetishists" - and I know I'm one...

But LSO could count as at least three releases - both mixing and sequencing of the Ryko 2CD are radically different. And then there's the early single CD... This is hard!

8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:47 am 

Last year I bought me both, the three individual SUNPYG LPs, and the Box set LPs. I only listened to the individual LPs before. These days I listened to he boxset only to find all three vinyls heavily bended on the edge. They still played right with great sound (all mint dustless grooves and overall state), though...

Any recipies for unbending LPs? Place under a heavy weight?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:04 am 

I'm really hoping that no-one here is thinking I might be having an implicit go at anyone who wants to collect everything down to the minutest detail of FZ's output. I'm a little bit of a collector myself and my wife and I often watch an aussie TV show about collectors as sometimes I find other people's collections interesting. My interest in FZ is mainly from the perspective of a composer, arranger and producer. I have my own hobby music studio at home. Between my main focus of studying maths and my hobby of playing guitar and composing and recording music there is very little time left over to just listen to music, let alone keep any kind of collection.

When I have time to listen it's mainly FZ and I'm mostly listening from the point of view of a student of music. I often check out the various vinyl collector threads here and I certainly wouldn't dream of scoffing at any one who takes their collection seriously. I hate the term "Die Hard", I'm bit of a fanatic myself in a variety of ways, and the only fanatic here that I despise is the fan-who's-up-his-arse that keeps telling everyone else how to think.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:13 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Back when I orderd SUAPYG it was mail order only and I believe it was only available on cassette in a three cassett case that was the same size as a record,but thicker.I know if I could of,I would of gotten vinyl back then.I don't think CD's were an option yet.Does that jive with the official release date on SUAPYG,or is the official release date after the mail order I received? Anyone know?
(I still have it)

This is a scan of the original ad from which I ordered my set. It was on the paper sleeves of "Tinseltown Rebellion", released in 1981. As can be seen, LPs and cassettes are both available as individual options.
I also own 2 different releases of the LP Box set (released later), which is where your cassette box would have come from.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:44 am 

Gail sez vinyl is a'comin of the back catalog. What's it all mean? In collaboration with Ryko, who retains the rights to the catalog, or did Gail really manage to buy it back? Time will tell.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:50 am 

brainpang wrote:
Gail sez vinyl is a'comin of the back catalog. What's it all mean? In collaboration with Ryko, who retains the rights to the catalog, or did Gail really manage to buy it back? Time will tell.

Is this another greedy record company's last ditch attempt to make you buy these old records all over again?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:56 am 

Since Warner Bros acquired Ryko, it looks like Ryko will no longer have anything to do with FZ product. Any future products/formats/reissues/etc will most likely come from Warner Bros (hopefully with the blessings/input/cooperation of ZFT).

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:53 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:08 pm 

*shrug* I don't really pay much attention to how many there are. I just know 1. He was prolific 2. And I have all of them.

And yes, get EIHN. I had to listen to it twice, but it grew on me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:33 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:58 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Thanks jpd,that answers 2 questions.#1-So thats where my TTRB inside sleeve went! #2-At the time I did have a cassette in home & car,so that makes sense.Boy do I wish I had gotten the vinyl now! One thing,in the TTRB album were both inner sleeves the same? The add and all? So your saying I couldn't of mail ordered from the TTRB,it had to be later? That right? I don't know if I used a form or not,was there another way to order the cassettes? I might have just waited 6mths-yr.to post it,but I do remember getting it in the mail.(I was very excited) I had to go to the P.O. and pay the extra postage,it was a lot for '81-'82,$2.15! I believe it was shipped from LA,but not sure.
Naturally,I'm still confused.But not as much now. :lol: :?

Yes...both sleeves were the same.
The box was released in 1982 in the UK. (I'd be interested to know if your set says where it was made. My box set is EMI.)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:09 pm 

Anyway, this doesn't prevent me from being at least a little curious as to how we'll end up at #100 by next Christmas. That's potentially huge.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:19 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:39 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Yes...both sleeves were the same...

just check my ttr sleeves, 1 box was checked

my mind drifts back to those
[can't afford no 30 bucks for 3 albums in one shot] days

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 3:41 am 

ha, slime, I wish I also had a few weird pieces of vintage U.S. correspondence that I could keep, which go as far back as to the early 80s.

:) Great Pumpko heads!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 5:23 am 

I remember (doot-doot) the SUAPYG set well. When I ordered them, instead of cutting up my album sleeve, I sent a hand-written note (using 2 colours of ink). Canada Post was threatening to go on strike, so since Paris, Ontario is a 30 minute drive from here, I included my phone number and offered to drive down and pick them up. Canada Post did go on strike, and, surprise!, I got a phone call inviting me to pick up the albums. So...I got my copies way ahead of the rest of Ontario! 8)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:09 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
...I included my phone number and offered to drive down and pick them up...

jpd will do anything [anything ¿ ... anything ] to save $1.75 & a stamp

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:03 pm 

{-

Last edited by KAPT.KIIRK on Sat Jan 21, 2012 4:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:33 am 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:47 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
just plain doug wrote:

You say that like it's a bad thing!
cruising for albums in daddy's new car

PostPosted: Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:10 pm 

Here's a letter that led to a major step in my music education back in 1979.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 100 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next