Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 6:44 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:01 pm 

I just bought a copy of Orchestral Favorites from a local record shop yesterday. When I got home I took the record out of the sleeve to find that both sides have a Side II label.

Does anyone else have a copy like this? Do you think it makes it more rare or is it just a flook

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:42 pm 

My copy of "Uncle Meat" is like that. I also have a 45 rpm record that says 54rpm.
I've never seen any records up for sale, specifically because they have a label misprint. I imagine it is more of a curiosity, than anything else.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:45 pm 

You would think that these types of misprints would make a record worth more but according to several articles I've read in Goldmine magazine over the years, they almost always DECREASE its value. That always seemed odd to me. When I was younger I collected coins and baseball cards and the tiniest flaw could make them worth hundreds of dollars.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:26 pm 

ok interesting to know, thanks.

i didn't think it would mean much, and i don't really care. just glad to have snagged it for such a good price!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 1:37 am 

ReetyAwrighty wrote:
You would think that these types of misprints would make a record worth more but according to several articles I've read in Goldmine magazine over the years, they almost always DECREASE its value. That always seemed odd to me. When I was younger I collected coins and baseball cards and the tiniest flaw could make them worth hundreds of dollars.
Decrease and rare because when I lived by a record factory would find vinyl double side number in skips with nothing wrong with them but obvious correct vinyl was never in there or if they where they be scratched.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:32 am 

Spelling typos can tell you for sure what edition it is. In books, spelling errors are used to establish whether a book is a forgery or really a 1st edition. But I can't imagine that would matter much to the Uncle Meat LP.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:11 am 

I have a copy of Let it Bleed (stones), cover and vinyl label are for the stones album but when you play it, it's actually "In The Court of The Crimson King". I was real pissed when i found out!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:24 am 

I would just be annoyed with a misprint like that - an original copy of Uncle Meat with the title 400 Days of the Year for Nine Types of Industrial Pollution, on the other hand - that would be cool to have 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:54 am 

Dark Clothes wrote:
I would just be annoyed with a misprint like that - an original copy of Uncle Meat with the title 400 Days of the Year for Nine Types of Industrial Pollution, on the other hand - that would be cool to have 8)

You live a sheltered life 8)

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 5:34 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
I have a copy of Let it Bleed (stones), cover and vinyl label are for the stones album but when you play it, it's actually "In The Court of The Crimson King". I was real pissed when i found out!

that is crazy, how do you think that could have happened?

the only thing i could think of like that was when The Gerogerigegege (Japanese "ultrashit" band) released a version of one of their albums on vinyl but the cover, label and everything was purposely made to look like a Ramones bootleg. so imagine when some Ramones fans back in the 80s picked this album up, only to hear strange loud noises.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:22 am 

Skunky Woof wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Same pressing plant handled both records presumably.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 6:25 am 

pbuzby wrote:
Skunky Woof wrote:
The_Acadian_2 wrote:

Same pressing plant handled both records presumably.

Probably made in the USA on a monday morning or a friday afternoon around 4 pm.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 2:55 pm 

cleon wrote:
ReetyAwrighty wrote:
Decrease and rare because when I lived by a record factory would find vinyl double side number in skips with nothing wrong with them but obvious correct vinyl was never in there or if they where they be scratched.

Damn so copy of Uncle Meat with 400 Days of the Year instead of Nine Types of Industrial Pollution aint worth much.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:58 am 

matty3198 wrote:
cleon wrote:
ReetyAwrighty wrote:

Damn so copy of Uncle Meat with 400 Days of the Year instead of Nine Types of Industrial Pollution aint worth much.

Why it should be the same as other first pressing of the album unless some asshole pays too much that is what it's worth what can be got in cash for it.