Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:51 am 

Hey guys, joined the forum to figure this out. Im a huge FZ fan, as many of you are, but of course my collection is not 100 percent complete.

It has been a few months since my last FZ purchase, so here I go to Amazon to pick up some more......only to find that Amazon has virtually nothing in stock, and neither do the shops they distribute. Used copies of even the most popular, basic Zappa albums, such as Hot Rats and Overnite, are going for waaaaaay more than they should be. This had me wonder, has the FZ discography been discontinued? I haven't been able to find any information on it on this site or any other. After Amazon, I checked many others.....Ebay, Best Buy, FYE, even your very own Barfko Swill store......FZ albums are not in stock in any of these, save for ZPZ or recent ZFT releases. I know it sounds crazy, but go ahead and check these sites. The whole Ryko discography is nowhere to be found.

As an avid Zappa fan, this worries me. Have you heard anything about this? Maybe FZ isn't with Ryko anymore and is switching to another distribution method, i don't know. I just want more albums.

Thanks in advance!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 4:18 am 

I was in two local record stores in the past 2 weeks. The first one was Cutlers (in the center of Yale University) - first time there in 20 plus years - their Zappa section was empty. My thought was these guys must be going out.

Yesterday I was in the local Branford indy store and the gal in charge asked me about the Zappa catalog. I told her I did not know.

One guy that would know the answer is Walt the owner of Brass City Records in Waterbury, Ct. He has a web site - if you email him a question he would probably know.

Zappa should NEVER be out of print - these are sad times for our youth of today...howare they ever going to know GREAT music?

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:35 am 

Neil Young to the rescue?

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2012/02/ ... -about-it/

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 5:42 am 

See also http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=35 and http://www.zappa.com/messageboard/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=22724

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 am 

organizedsound wrote:
Hey guys, joined the forum to figure this out. Im a huge FZ fan, as many of you are, but of course my collection is not 100 percent complete.

It has been a few months since my last FZ purchase, so here I go to Amazon to pick up some more......only to find that Amazon has virtually nothing in stock, and neither do the shops they distribute. Used copies of even the most popular, basic Zappa albums, such as Hot Rats and Overnite, are going for waaaaaay more than they should be. This had me wonder, has the FZ discography been discontinued? I haven't been able to find any information on it on this site or any other. After Amazon, I checked many others.....Ebay, Best Buy, FYE, even your very own Barfko Swill store......FZ albums are not in stock in any of these, save for ZPZ or recent ZFT releases. I know it sounds crazy, but go ahead and check these sites. The whole Ryko discography is nowhere to be found.

As an avid Zappa fan, this worries me. Have you heard anything about this? Maybe FZ isn't with Ryko anymore and is switching to another distribution method, i don't know. I just want more albums.

Thanks in advance!

One of my local record stores is still heavily stocked with FZ Ryko CDs at decent prices (they even still have 200 Motels). If you or any other U.S. forum members (sorry, don't want to deal with customs) want, I could purchase and mail you the titles you need. You could pay for the CD and shipping through PayPal, so as to protect both parties in any transactions.

If anyone is interested, feel free to PM me.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:26 pm 

I was talking to some guy behind the counter at a record store and he said that warners have agreed with Zappa's family that they will keep his back cataloue in print when they took over Ryko , so i think it will be re-released soon.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:16 pm 

I've noticed a startling lack of Zappa CDs locally as well. I believe my local shop only has 5 total CDs. I intend to snatch 'em all up, but where to go from there?

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 3:22 pm 

Warner Brothers Canada has deleted the entire Zappa catalogue. 50 + Zappa Cd's are no longer available for purchase in Canada. The discs were provided by Rykodisc.

Just talked with a compact music employee today. He noticed when he went to order this week. they were available last week. Any stock in stores is all that will be available.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 5:43 pm 

I am in Texas and I went by CD shop and the guy said pretty much the same thing, that RYKO stopped distributing ... :smoke:

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 6:12 pm 

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=23356

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 3:02 pm 

So glad I acquired all the Ryko titles in the late '90s. We should have seen this coming when around ten years ago they were slashing prices on everything probably to dump inventory. Double sets were down to $15, and single discs were under $10. The few brick & mortar CD stores where I bought these are long gone.

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 3:51 pm 

I was wondering why they were all extremely cheap back when I started hoarding them like a madman back in 05-06. I even snagged 200 Motels for less than $30. Glad I got them all too when I did 8)

Post subject: re: zappa out of print
PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2012 9:46 pm 

now's the time to flog all your old ryko cd's as a hedge for a new set