Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:07 am 

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads vs. Dog Breath

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

Peaches en Regalia vs. Son of Orange County /More Trouble Every Day (Roxy)

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

Zoot Allures vs. Enchida’s Arf (of You)/ Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing

STUDEBACHER HOCH DIVISION

Watermelon vs. Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:32 am 

This is where it starts to get depressing. The possible winners become obvious and lame, imo. I can think of many reasons why Dog Breath is a better example of FZ than Inca Roads, but since it was the vamp for so many solos, Inca will win that one. Peaches will beat SOOC cuz its more of a cute ditty. I'm at least a little glad Black Napkins got knocked out, so we're not looking like total zombys. I don't mind the 3rd bracket cuz Zoot plays 3rd fiddle to the other members of the Triumvirate so often that I wouldn't mind if it took the final prize. But, it won't. Watermelon will. And it shouldn't. I expounded last year on why, to negative results, so I won't this time. It would be nice if yas proved me wrong with yer votes.

Dog Breath

Son of Orange County /More Trouble Every Day (Roxy)

Zoot Allures

Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:00 am 

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

Peaches en Regalia

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

Zoot Allures

The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:23 pm 

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Dog Breath

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

Enchida’s Arf (of You)/ Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing

Watermelon

:smoke:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:02 pm 

Hey Arkay, I agree with your general sentiment but not so much your choices. Inca Roads is a tough one because of its general popularity, but it is a major work, I've always loved it, whereas Dog Breath ends up warranting only 2 minutes on Yellow Shark. It's a really nice piece but in the composition stakes, as overplayed as it is, Inca Roads still gets my vote. On the other hand, choosing Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution over Watermelon In Easter Hay is a no brainer, choosing Son Of Orange County over Peaches En Regalia was a little tough and choosing Echidna's Arf over Zoot Allures was total agony.

The big thing I disagree with is the inclusion of double compositions from Roxy. We should have Son of Orange County vs More Trouble Every Day and Enchida’s Arf (of You) vs Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing.

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

Son of Orange County /More Trouble Every Day

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:56 pm 

Inca Roads vs. Dog Breath. These are real favorites of mine..... Inca wins by a nose hair because of the solo and the totally exhilarating marimba lines that follow it.

Peaches en Regalia vs. Son of Orange County /More Trouble Every Day (Roxy). Sometimes Peaches is a bit sweet for me, whereas the the arrangements and intense guitar solos on Son of.... never get old no matter how many times I listen to this song.

Zoot Allures vs. Enchida’s Arf (of You)/ Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing. Hands down, easy choice. Zoots is beautiful, but Echidna is simply masterful. Especially during the ascending quintuplets and cressendo. Possibly my favorite FZ tune and easily the tune I've listened to significantly more often than any other song.

Watermelon vs. Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution. I'm not much of a fan of Ocean, so this one's easy.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:20 pm 

Inca

SOOC

Wash

Watermelon

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:02 pm 

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

Peaches en Regalia

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

Zoot Allures

Watermelon

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 pm 

The Forum Killed Arkay wrote:
This is where it starts to get depressing. The possible winners become obvious and lame, imo. I can think of many reasons why Dog Breath is a better example of FZ than Inca Roads, but since it was the vamp for so many solos, Inca will win that one. Peaches will beat SOOC cuz its more of a cute ditty. I'm at least a little glad Black Napkins got knocked out, so we're not looking like total zombys. I don't mind the 3rd bracket cuz Zoot plays 3rd fiddle to the other members of the Triumvirate so often that I wouldn't mind if it took the final prize. But, it won't. Watermelon will. And it shouldn't. I expounded last year on why, to negative results, so I won't this time. It would be nice if yas proved me wrong with yer votes.

dood...lighten up. it's a stupid song poll.

for the record, i have never EVER considered peaches to be a "cute ditty". for me, peaches, watermelon, inca roads, and zoot, along with a few others (sofa no 1, for example), are timeless, transcendent musical statements.

maybe a "best of the rest" poll should be in order.

and ultimately, who gives a fuck anyway?

>You don't.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:50 pm 

Inca Roads

Peaches en Regalia

Zoot Allures

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 7:44 pm 

Rahdley wrote:
GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:01 pm 

This one was surprisingly easier...

GREEN HOCKER DIVISION

Inca Roads

FRUNOBULAX DIVISION

Peaches En Regalia

SEARS PONCHO DIVISION

Echidna’s Arf (Of You) / Don’t You Ever Wash That Thing?

The Ocean Is The Ultimate Solution

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:59 am 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

for the record, i have never EVER considered peaches to be a "cute ditty". for me, peaches, watermelon, inca roads, and zoot, along with a few others (sofa no 1, for example), are timeless, transcendent musical statements.

Sleepy, you are so mean! Grrrrr, tough guy! Stupid? I think you give a fuck ya voter, hahaha!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:21 am 

Inca Roads

Peaches en Regalia

Zoot Allures

Watermelon

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 6:04 am 

INCA

PEACHES

ZOOT

WATERMELON

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:06 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

Sleepy, you are so mean! Grrrrr, tough guy! Stupid? I think you give a fuck ya voter, hahaha!

alright, that's it. you wanna play rough? i'm calling you out. who did you pay to vote for ocean?? huh? what, you think i don't know? you think i'm not on to your games? who did you pay?? disco boy, for sure! i once paid disco boy $25 to award me a "frankie" so i know you paid him. probably polydigm too. and him acting like he disagrees with you. nice pre-arranged plan. you're a real genius.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 2:51 pm 

Well, at least you're talking sense instead of that previous jibberish. IF I paid someone it would be enough to keep them quiet. But, we can probably agree that a better, more appropriate list would be:

rdnzl (should be final 4 minimum!)
mo n' herb's vacation
approximate
keep it greasy
chrome plated megaphone of destiny
won ton on
are you hung up?
cops n buns

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:01 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
... who did you pay to vote for ocean?? ... probably polydigm too. and him acting like he disagrees with you ...
Just in case, I realise you guys are only horsing around. That being said, I actually do agree with Arkay completely on his main point about typical popular choices. Even FZ poked fun at his fans not being able to approach the statistical density of some of his pieces. I'm one of those fans that gets disappointed with ZFT releases that don't have enough statistical density in them. As far as Watermelon vs Ocean is concerned, the names are apt as it's literally like comparing a watermelon with the ocean. WIEH is a beautiful melody, I'll grant you that, and it's quite moving, but TOITUS is a tour de force with some very engaging experiments with special tunings on a twelve string guitar along with some very tasty drumming and bass playing.

Anyway, as I've already said, only one can end up winning this kind of thing and the winner will be an FZ composition and seeing as I like more than 99% of his compositions, I can't lose.

And I'm probably a total hypocrite because when I'm trying to introduce (indoctrinate?) someone with FZ music, what do I go for first? Not necessarily my own favourites.

I also don't think these contests are a bad thing, like some. I don't know why they got rid of the album polls (maybe because they were mostly started by you know who). We should have a separate thread dedicated to best of polls. That way, if you don't like them, you don't have to go there and they don't clutter up the other threads. I find it interesting to know what other fans like, even if, like Arkay, I'm sometimes perplexed by the results.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:57 pm 

polydigm wrote:
And I'm probably a total hypocrite because when I'm trying to introduce (indoctrinate?) someone with FZ music, what do I go for first? Not necessarily my own favourites.

kudos to you. i gave up on this long ago. perhaps the worst was when someone would like it without knowing what it was, and then find out it was frank and then not like it. i don't have that kind of time anymore.

strange as it may seem, a considerable factor in my liking watermelon has to do with frank's spoken introduction. it's funny and absolutely priceless, an integral part of the song, and gets me every time. and for me, each and every moment of watermelon, from the first spoken line, to literally the very last note, is a case of being moved outweighing statistical density and the qualities you mention that make ocean an extraordinary composition.

>You don't.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:28 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:
kudos to you. i gave up on this long ago. perhaps the worst was when someone would like it without knowing what it was, and then find out it was frank and then not like it. i don't have that kind of time anymore.

strange as it may seem, a considerable factor in my liking watermelon has to do with frank's spoken introduction. it's funny and absolutely priceless, an integral part of the song, and gets me every time. and for me, each and every moment of watermelon, from the first spoken line, to literally the very last note, is a case of being moved outweighing statistical density and the qualities you mention that make ocean an extraordinary composition.

Pffft. I woulda voted Opus IV: No. 1 1st Movement: Andantino or anything on Francesco Zappa over Watermelon.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:05 pm 

sleeping in a jar wrote:

alright, that's it. you wanna play rough? i'm calling you out. who did you pay to vote for ocean?? huh? what, you think i don't know? you think i'm not on to your games? who did you pay?? disco boy, for sure! i once paid disco boy $25 to award me a "frankie" so i know you paid him. probably polydigm too. and him acting like he disagrees with you. nice pre-arranged plan. you're a real genius.

NOBODY...I mean NOBODY puts Ocean in the corner.

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 8:20 pm 

Disco Boy wrote:

At least he admitted that he let his reckless emotions keep him from making a good decision. :twisted:

sleeping in a jar wrote:
... for me, each and every moment of watermelon, from the first spoken line, to literally the very last note, is a case of being moved outweighing statistical density and the qualities you mention that make ocean an extraordinary composition.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:07 pm 

8-way tie

napkins is 8 or 9 notes played over & over & over again & again, with a bit of tasty soloing going on in the background, nice tune, but, like, seriously ¿ ; the ocean to covers as much musical ground in 2 or 3 of those cosmic chords

rk wrote:
rdnzl (should be final 4 minimum!)
mo n' herb's vacation
approximate
keep it greasy
chrome plated megaphone of destiny
won ton on
are you hung up?
cops n buns
your mouth
downtown talent scout
trance fusion [21]
chunga basement
opus iv: n1 1st
aybe sea
must be a camel

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:16 am 

Disco Boy wrote:

At least he admitted that he let his reckless emotions keep him from making a good decision. :twisted:

sleeping in a jar wrote:
... for me, each and every moment of watermelon, from the first spoken line, to literally the very last note, is a case of being moved outweighing statistical density and the qualities you mention that make ocean an extraordinary composition.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 4:40 am 

Inca Roads :cry:

Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution :cry: