Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 120  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 4:09 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:39 am
Posts: 23
Location: Bolzano - Italy
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
Just got my Apostrophe (') remaster. The thing is I ordered it from WOWHD, for little money, and it came in a package from Hong Kong. How could it be that cheap? When I looked in the booklet, a thing got me a little worried it would be a pirate copy or something: the lyrics are not printed, like on the RYKO-version? Is this the case with the 2012 remaster of this record, that the lyrics aren't printed, or is it my version that is fucked up?

It sounds great though, and doesn't look cheap in any other way.


FAKE!!!!

:cry:



why should they be fakes just because the cds come from hong kong?
got "hot rats" & "chungas revenge" from wowhd & they are ok!
also bought bob dylan´s tempest there!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:24 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3274
Location: Chicago, IL
Ruz-El wrote:
So we get Lather, no word on 200 Motels, and what's "Finer Moments"?


Well, if you take the fibonacci sequence letters and add them to the square root of the summation of the remaining letters' numerical equivalents... ah, fuck it. :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:44 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:54 pm
Posts: 225
Location: Were We Ever Really Safe In San Antonio?
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:
So we get Lather, no word on 200 Motels, and what's "Finer Moments"?


Well, if you take the fibonacci sequence letters and add them to the square root of the summation of the remaining letters' numerical equivalents... ah, fuck it. :mrgreen:

HAHA!

i'm going to guess that this FINER MOMENTS is an all new expanded (double disc) Strictly Commercial-like compilation album.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:12 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5922
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Did I not hear somewhere that there was another volume of lost episodes type material? Finer Moments sounds like it fits the bill.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:31 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 2:38 am
Posts: 1071
Location: Centerville, Norway
Finer Moments...

First thought - it could be a Strictly Genteel type compilation next to Understanding America's Strictly Commercial bias?

Or "emotional" passages à la FZ plays FZ?

Who knows?

_________________
We make a special art in an environment hostile to dreamers. Frank Zappa, 1971


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:14 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5922
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
Dark Clothes wrote:
... First thought - it could be a Strictly Genteel type compilation next to Understanding America's Strictly Commercial bias? ...
My money's on this one.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 12:33 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
polydigm wrote:
Dark Clothes wrote:
... First thought - it could be a Strictly Genteel type compilation next to Understanding America's Strictly Commercial bias? ...
My money's on this one.


Me too, but I'd cum out of every pore in my body if it was a second "Lost Episodes" comp. With that title I don't think it will be. It might even be a redo/expansion of the Ryko Strictly Commercial comp that came out alongside "Have I Offended Someone?"


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 1:50 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 57
If finer moments is a "greatest hits" type thing with single versions then I'm all for it!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 2:27 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
Laservampire wrote:
If finer moments is a "greatest hits" type thing with single versions then I'm all for it!


That would be fantastic!

I'm off braving the first big snow storm of the season to see if HMV got in the new wave. Thumbs held they're their and all $10 each like the last few batches! I've never heard Mothermania, curious to listen since it seems quite popular.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:00 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jun 20, 2012 3:25 pm
Posts: 57
Ruz-El wrote:
Laservampire wrote:
If finer moments is a "greatest hits" type thing with single versions then I'm all for it!


That would be fantastic!

I'm off braving the first big snow storm of the season to see if HMV got in the new wave. Thumbs held they're their and all $10 each like the last few batches! I've never heard Mothermania, curious to listen since it seems quite popular.


It's worth it for the alternate Money mixes alone!

The Freak Out tracks aren't too shabby either.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5922
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
What would be truly amazing would be if Finer Moments took it's material from previously officially unreleased orchestral material such as the full Sinister Footwear suite. Or not and that stuff gets released as an alternative thing - either way would do. There's a lot of would in this post.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:10 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2012 11:06 pm
Posts: 15
polydigm wrote:
What would be truly amazing would be if Finer Moments took it's material from previously officially unreleased orchestral material such as the full Sinister Footwear suite. Or not and that stuff gets released as an alternative thing - either way would do. There's a lot of would in this post.


This, please ZFT. I think it's more likely to be Strictly Genteel II.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:18 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18946
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
polydigm wrote:
...There's a lot of would in this post.

And from a man your age. I'm impressed!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:48 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Aug 21, 2002 3:23 am
Posts: 3274
Location: Chicago, IL
just plain doug wrote:
polydigm wrote:
...There's a lot of would in this post.

And from a man your age. I'm impressed!


HA! That's a good one, doug! :mrgreen:

_________________
Current favorite new (to me!) spin: Kate Bush - Wuthering Heights
(Wondering why it took this long for me to recognize her genius!)

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 9:49 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
I listened to "Ship Arriving Too Late..." last night. I don't think I've ever sat down to that one before, really liked it. It definitely seems like the start of the digital era, but the title track and what i"m guessing was "Side 2" is all pretty great. Onwards to "Man From Utopia", another of his that people seem to hate but I always enjoyed nyuk nyuk.

I hope HMV get's in the next wave next week, I'm getting close to catching up.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:32 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6944
Location: South wales
Ruz-El wrote:
I listened to "Ship Arriving Too Late..." It definitely seems like the start of the digital era, but the title track .
No way it Has AAD on cover Them or Us is the earliest DDD?

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:43 pm 
Offline

Joined: Thu Aug 23, 2012 8:55 pm
Posts: 215
Location: Edmonton, Alberta
cleon wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:
I listened to "Ship Arriving Too Late..." It definitely seems like the start of the digital era, but the title track .
No way it Has AAD on cover Them or Us is the earliest DDD?


Technically yes. I was talking more about the sound. Things got more synth, electronic sounding with Zappa around this time. I think. I have to listen to all the stuff still. It seems like from Joes Garage to this record synth started replaced horns and what not and evey thing started to sound more electronic and "80's". Not in an annoying way, just in the Zappa keeping up with tech to exploit for his own purposes way.

But yes, as far as strictly digital recording, I believe you are right. This was still analog, but seems very electronic as far as content, even foreshadowing sampling.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5922
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
just plain doug wrote:
polydigm wrote:
...There's a lot of would in this post.
And from a man your age. I'm impressed!
Does that make you a stand up comedian?

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18946
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
polydigm wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
polydigm wrote:
...There's a lot of would in this post.
And from a man your age. I'm impressed!
Does that make you a stand up comedian?

Oh, Donna...!

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 02, 2012 4:02 pm
Posts: 18
Location: AZ
i bought Willie the pimp from ITunes B/C i didnt have time to put my CD on my phone. I will say the the audio Quality is some what better but i just hate it how in the song, I know like all the rythms and huming along, it all of the sudden changes into some other beat that wasnt there before... I dont think that it should have been added to.....


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:03 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Apr 03, 2006 4:40 pm
Posts: 6944
Location: South wales
Ruz-El wrote:
cleon wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:
I listened to "Ship Arriving Too Late..." It definitely seems like the start of the digital era, but the title track .
No way it Has AAD on cover Them or Us is the earliest DDD?


Technically yes. I was talking more about the sound. Things got more synth, electronic sounding with Zappa around this time. I think. I have to listen to all the stuff still. It seems like from Joes Garage to this record synth started replaced horns and what not and evey thing started to sound more electronic and "80's". Not in an annoying way, just in the Zappa keeping up with tech to exploit for his own purposes way.

But yes, as far as strictly digital recording, I believe you are right. This was still analog, but seems very electronic as far as content, even foreshadowing sampling.

Yes I suppose your correct also there is more too digital recording than the recording itself and FZ's synclavier like Chads digital drums FZ using Lynn digital drum machine and the Roland DX7 Synth I think up till the time it came out synth was a single note instument at a time like minimoog.

_________________
Arf you out of your fucking mind.Image


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:23 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:33 am
Posts: 154
k.vee wrote:


why should they be fakes just because the cds come from hong kong?
got "hot rats" & "chungas revenge" from wowhd & they are ok!
also bought bob dylan´s tempest there!

Because it were so cheap. With that price and shipped all the way from Hong Kong, one could be suspicious. But it wasn't fake, I was just a little worried, that's all. :)

_________________
Reading threads about that stupid asshole Isaac M. Baranoff is the funniest part of this forum.
And Trendmonger sucks ass!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Nov 29, 2007 7:39 am
Posts: 23
Location: Bolzano - Italy
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
k.vee wrote:


why should they be fakes just because the cds come from hong kong?
got "hot rats" & "chungas revenge" from wowhd & they are ok!
also bought bob dylan´s tempest there!

Because it were so cheap. With that price and shipped all the way from Hong Kong, one could be suspicious. But it wasn't fake, I was just a little worried, that's all. :)


that´s why it takes 3 weeks for the cds to arrive... :mrgreen:

also on play.com delivery is included and some sellers ship from the us.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:57 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Oct 10, 2005 3:03 pm
Posts: 5922
Location: Pouting for you? Punky Meadows, pouting for you?!!
So, the Apostrophe lyric sheet thing is still unclear to me. Untangling sarcasm here from fact isn't always easy. Does the UME release have a lyric sheet or not? I got mine from amazon.com and there is no lyric sheet.

_________________
The way I see it Barry, this should be a very dynamite show.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2012 3:47 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2007 7:14 am
Posts: 18946
Location: Kitchener, Ontario, CANADA
polydigm wrote:
So, the Apostrophe lyric sheet thing is still unclear to me. Untangling sarcasm here from fact isn't always easy. Does the UME release have a lyric sheet or not? I got mine from amazon.com and there is no lyric sheet.

Mine has no lyrics, and it came from a local music shop (Sunrise Records).

_________________
You're probably wondering why I'm here
(not that it makes a heck of a lot of a difference to ya)
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 101, 102, 103, 104, 105, 106, 107 ... 120  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group