Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:39 am 

citizensmurf wrote:
Hmm, don't know who bankrolled buying the rights to the masters back. If it was the ZFT, that was a large sum of money for a very small return in investment. If it was Universal, then I doubt they will put any money into remastering from the original tapes, they can simply reissue what Ryko already put out, with different packaging. If this means more "Audio Documentaries", then I'm a happy camper. I have all of the Ryko 95 cds, so unless there are substantial bonus tracks, I won't pick any of the new albums up. But anyone who is a recent fan will probably want to invest in them for their collection. And go buy 200 Motels on vinyl, the cd isn't that great beyond the booklet.

very good observation here. it could go either way. i wish they would post the mother fucking details! the lack of promo/hype/announcment seems to me that they could be just the 95 masters repackaged. FUCK THAT SHIT!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:32 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
citizensmurf wrote:
Hmm, don't know who bankrolled buying the rights to the masters back. If it was the ZFT, that was a large sum of money for a very small return in investment. If it was Universal, then I doubt they will put any money into remastering from the original tapes, they can simply reissue what Ryko already put out, with different packaging. If this means more "Audio Documentaries", then I'm a happy camper. I have all of the Ryko 95 cds, so unless there are substantial bonus tracks, I won't pick any of the new albums up. But anyone who is a recent fan will probably want to invest in them for their collection. And go buy 200 Motels on vinyl, the cd isn't that great beyond the booklet.

very good observation here. it could go either way. i wish they would post the mother fucking details! the lack of promo/hype/announcment seems to me that they could be just the 95 masters repackaged. FUCK THAT SHIT!!

Going by the article IBS linked above, it's not the 95 masters.

I hope universal are releasing them digitally also, they really need to be available as download too...but this is great news.

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:39 am 

Here's a little more info on the reissues. "For the time being, it does not appear that any bonus material is planned at this juncture and there is no information on any extended packaging or new liner notes. Both physical and digital editions are planned for these albums."

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/11/freak-out-early-zappa-classics-coming-from-universal/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:41 am 

TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I hope universal are releasing them digitally also, they really need to be available as download too...

Yep, "...high quality releases, digital and physical..."

Zappa music and much, much MOO-AH!
www.FestivalMoo-AH.com

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:47 am 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
Here's a little more info on the reissues. "For the time being, it does not appear that any bonus material is planned at this juncture and there is no information on any extended packaging or new liner notes. Both physical and digital editions are planned for these albums."

http://theseconddisc.com/2012/06/11/freak-out-early-zappa-classics-coming-from-universal/

this is not really "more info". it's the same info as before with some speculation added.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 8:51 am 

jayp is that not our universal complaint? Give us information wo that we can make intelligent purchases?????????????

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:06 am 

GZ just tweeted:

gail zappa ‏@ZappaGail
Frank's back! I'm in LOVE all over - again!!!
http://t.co/NTd9mqrh

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:28 am 

What a wealth of information

:roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 10:57 am 

Just curious. One statement " it does not appear that any bonus material is planned at this juncture...", does this mean "Uncle Meat (1969)" will not contain any penalty tracks and be all on one CD?

Also, with " “many of the original analog masters have been remastered for this occasion...", if they are on par with Universal Music Enterprises (UMe) remasters of the second half of Rolling Stones catalog, this may not be a reason for celebration. The Stones previous Virgin remasters are preferable to a lot listeners, as they do not sound prepared for optimum sound on an iPod.

My 2¢ of conjecture.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:00 am 

WalkerJWalker wrote:
Just curious. One statement " it does not appear that any bonus material is planned at this juncture...", does this mean "Uncle Meat (1969)" will not contain any penalty tracks and be all on one CD?

it's just speculation.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:05 am 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:
TheCentralScrutinizer wrote:
I hope universal are releasing them digitally also, they really need to be available as download too...

Yep, "...high quality releases, digital and physical..."

excellent stuff! :smoke:

Shitface
Shitface Music Page

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:15 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
What a wealth of information

:roll:

Get them All :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:30 pm 

The Idiot Bastard wrote:

jaypfunk wrote:
if these are ALL the original vinyl mixes and are done correctly I will buy every single one of them.

It says in IBS link
The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right. The entire Catalog,
:wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 12:36 pm 

cleon wrote:
The Idiot Bastard wrote:

jaypfunk wrote:
if these are ALL the original vinyl mixes and are done correctly I will buy every single one of them.

It says in IBS link

The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right. The entire Catalog,
:wink:

you can tell he copied and pasted this

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:07 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:

That's what I'm a'scared of! I like the MOFO Freak Out! that's for sure.
Maybe they won't give us any info at all, will have to wait for fan reviews 'cause if they gave us advance notice one might be seeing a lot of FZ Ryko cd's going cheap on ebay and Amazon...heh heh heh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:28 pm 

I haven't heard yet if the packaging will be digipak, mini-LP, or standard CDs. I've got my fingers crossed for digipaks though like other recent vault releases. It would be really nice if these 5 groups of 12 albums come out in collectors boxes or a slipcase to store them in as a bonus for those that don't want to buy individual albums singly. Wishful thinking, perhaps.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 2:32 pm 

As far as digital goes i hope they include Spotify.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:21 pm 

They'll find a way to fuck it up....

Remasters just mean trouble! Haven't heard a remaster I liked since they started remastering shit!

In fact Rush just re-released their first 12 albums in three box sets, and when I heard them A-B'd in "blind taste tests" I liked the sound on the original releases over the "remastered" versions. Same with the old Chicago catalog!

The versions that came out when they used the original masters and tracks (not Chad Wackerman's over dubbage) sounded just fine.

Glad they got their rights to them back, though! That's where they belong!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:32 pm 

Jaminbenb wrote:
Remasters just mean trouble! Haven't heard a remaster I liked since they started remastering shit!

Wow - that's quite a statement! Needless to say, you won't like these then so you'd best stay away.
I'd argue that so many re-masters have brought classic albums to a whole new level: Zeppelin, Crimson, Tull, Genesis off the top of my head.... oh yeah, and the Kinks!

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:52 pm 

BIG NEWS!!

gz wrote:
The digital masters were all re-transferred by the Vaultmeister and about a third of the titles were reMastered from the original analog source. So the happy answer is, you betcha!! Each one is carefully labelled with the information you are looking for. Watch the skies.

And thanks!

gz

source:http://www.zappa.com/gzsez/questions/re-new-reissues/

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:56 pm 

myourself wrote:
BIG NEWS!!

gz wrote:
The digital masters were all re-transferred by the Vaultmeister and about a third of the titles were reMastered from the original analog source. So the happy answer is, you betcha!! Each one is carefully labelled with the information you are looking for. Watch the skies.

And thanks!

gz

Thanks a bunch myourself! (and gz, and Joe and.... FZ!)

Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 4:59 pm 

and the email from gail:

listmaster@zappa.com wrote:

Tuesday, June 12, 2012 4:33 PM

Dear people of earth & all the rest of you too,

I have long been so out of fashion - my python boot is too tight (I am sure you know the feeling when you have to kick some ass), my Law Suit is old and worn and shiny from so much pressing - my hair is tangled up in gray but I have to say, this is for you. Thanks. Wherever you are, whoever you've been, thank you for the energy in the direction of Frank Zappa and the love of his music. This is our common ground. Thanks. There is much more to come but we start at the VERY beginning. Wear your ears proudly. "Music is the Best!" - FZ.

xxx,

gz

------------------------------------------------

TIME TO FREAK OUT… FRANK’S BACK!

ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST REGAINS CONTROL OF ICONIC MUSICIAN’S EXTENSIVE CATALOG

GLOBAL LICENSE/DISTRIBUTION DEAL SIGNED WITH UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES

CATALOG OF 60 RECORDINGS TO BE LAUNCHED WITH JULY 31 RELEASE OF 12 TITLES

Back home where it belongs, the music of FRANK ZAPPA is now back in the hands of the ZAPPA FAMILY TRUST.

To celebrate this, the estate has signed a global license and distribution deal with UNIVERSAL MUSIC ENTERPRISES to release 60 of the iconic composer’s recordings. The roll-out kicks off July 31 with 12 recordings, with another dozen recordings to be released monthly through the end of 2012.

“The ink is not yet dry on The Zappa Family Trust's worldwide deal with Universal Music Enterprises,” says Gail Zappa. “They made us the offer we couldn't refuse--for all the right reasons. It is a win-win for all of us, but mostly for Frank Zappa. Long may his baton wave. We are so ready to go.”

“The artist and composer, Frank Zappa, is one of the most important and influential artists in music history with his prolific body of work, including his breakthrough rock ‘n roll concept albums. We are honored that Gail Zappa and the Zappa Family Trust have entrusted us with his legacy. We intend to honor him and bring high quality releases, digital and physical, for his new and longtime fans,” said Bruce Resnikoff, President/CEO, Universal Music Enterprises (UMe).

Now fully back in hands of the Zappa Family Trust--headed by Zappa’s widow Gail Zappa--the releases will honor the iconic legacy of the composer, musician, bandleader and filmmaker. ZAPPA was posthumously inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1995 and received the Grammy Lifetime Achievement Award in 1997 (although the family would like to know where it is). The official biography: Frank Zappa, American composer, 1940-1993.

The UME deal is for the entire Zappa Catalog as it appeared on Frank Zappa's own independent label, Barking Pumpkin Records. Many of the original analog masters have been re-mastered for this occasion. Yes that's right, you heard right. The entire Catalog, in all its spiffnificent glory will launch July 31, just in time for Frank Zappa’s daughter DIVA’s birthday-- an occasion that will be celebrated along with GAIL, sister MOON UNIT and brothers DWEEZIL and AHMET.

For more information, go to http://www.zappa.com.

The initial 12 FRANK ZAPPA releases included in the ZAPPA/ UNIVERSAL deal set for July 31 are as follows. **Date signifies original year of release.

1. Freak Out! (1966)
2. Absolutely Free (1967)
3. Lumpy Gravy (1968)
4. We're Only In It For The Money (1968)
5. Cruising With Ruben & The Jets (1968)
6. Uncle Meat (1969)
7. Hot Rats (1969)
8. Burnt Weeny Sandwich (1970)
9. Weasels Ripped My Flesh (1970)
10. Chunga's Revenge (1970)
11. Fillmore East, June 1971 (1971)
12. Just Another Band From L.A. (1972)

###

© mmxii zft.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:30 pm 

"a third of the titles were reMastered from the original analog source"

this worries me. are they only fixing the ones that were considered "bad batch" and still using FZ 95 mixes for the rest? and only a third? more than a third were terrible. why not just use the original stereo LP mixes and do it right?

MORE INFO PLEASE!!!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:45 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
myourself wrote:
BIG NEWS!!

gz wrote:

And thanks!

gz

Thanks a bunch myourself! (and gz, and Joe and.... FZ!)

Right on PIB! Without any brown lipstick on,I can easily say thanks GZ,JT and the ZFT.I'm glad the rights to FZ have not been sold and stuffed into someone elses mold,and made to play as they are told,thanks for being so bold.I miss Frank and wished he would have stuck around longer,but one things fer sure,fer sure,his music will never get old!
It's only right that the ZFT has the rights to Franks music.imho

Jayp,try the Dear Vaultmeister thread for more info. :mrgreen:...... I know,STFU! :twisted:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Jayp,try the Dear Vaultmeister thread for more info. :mrgreen:...... I know,STFU! :twisted:

there's no ?more info" there. wtf you talkin' bout? fool!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 120  Next