Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Nov 29, 2014 12:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:26 pm 

Finally listening to "Over-Nite Sensation". My only experience with this one was the Ryko two-fer. Holy shit, I've never heard the album before. Sounds amazing when you crank the shit out of it. Beautiful!

Hope there is a project/object version, I would love to hear the rest of the "I'm The Slime" end solo that fades out.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:49 pm 

Anybody snag You Are What You Is and Joes Garage yet?

Those are the two from the latest batch I'm most interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 5:53 pm 

ak wrote:
Anybody snag You Are What You Is and Joes Garage yet?

Those are the two from the latest batch I'm most interested in.

Got Joe's. Totally worth your money to buy again. It sounds amazing...

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
re: Joe's Garage

I wonder what this New Remaster will sound like. The original was originally mastered at half speed and FZ was never satisfied with the results. I always felt that the 1987 and 1995 Ryko CD sounded just like the original LPs

from Guitar Player, February 1983:

TOM MULHERN: Do you prefer to have your records done with half-speed mastering?

ZAPPA: The only album that we ever did with half-speed mastering was Joe's Garage. It helps your top end, but it ruins the low end. Let's examine the frequency spectrum of what we're putting on the record. The new album [Man from Utopia] has a lot of information around, 30 cycles [Ed. Note: Low E on a bass guitar is 41.2 Hz], and there's a very full-sounding bottom on some of these tunes. If you were to master that at half-speed, you'd need an equalizer that would have to be looking at 15 cycles. So you get a crisper, but a thinner-sounding record if you master half-speed. On the Joe's Garage album, we used half-speed mastering on all three of those discs, and I'm not totally delighted with the results.

TOM MULHERN: Do you have any examples?

ZAPPA: Let me give you a very graphic one. We cut it at half-speed, and the stylus can carve very careful, perfect, little high-frequency wiggles on the record. That doesn't mean when it's turned into a stamper and goes onto that vinyl that those wiggles are necessarily going to be there. You may just be fooling yourself. You may hear it great coming off of a reference disc, but not off of a pressing. And that's what I think happened with Joe's Garage. It just didn't carry through all the manufacturing process. Recently, I've cut some normal-speed refs on the Joe's Garage album, and since the time of the original mastering there have been some advancements in normal-speed lathe technology. You can get more level on the record, and so forth. So the new refs sound fantastic. They have plenty of top end and plenty of bottom; they sound much more like the master tape than the half-speed version did.

I wonder too if the new 2012 remaster was done at normal speed rather than half-speed mastering. And assuming the 1987 CD's were with the half-speed mastering. Any thoughts now that the 2012 CD has been released? I seem to hear more bass when listening to the samples on iTunes, but that could just be the way it's been mastered for iTunes.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:38 pm 

Half-speed mastering is something that was carried out for vinyl releases... I don't think it's applicable for CDs. This from the ever reliable wikipedia:

MFSL initially became known to the public for the Half-Speed Mastering technique, which has since been employed by many other record companies. It was the first label to use this as standard on all of its LP releases. The use of this technique was pioneered by engineer Stan Ricker, who mastered all of the early MFSL releases. Ricker's work can be recognized by the signature "SR/2" carved between the run out grooves.
With some notable exceptions, MFSL uses the original master tape as its source. This tape was then played back at half its original speed (if the master tape were recorded at 30 inches per second, it would be played back at 15 ips.) Simultaneously the record cutting lathe runs at 16 ⅔ revolutions per minute (half of its regular speed of 33 ⅓ RPM.)
The Half-Speed Mastering technology allows for cleaner reproduction of high frequencies (by cutting the actual transfer frequency in half) and allows twice as much time to carve a groove that accurately represents the sound on the master tape. It also permits extended high frequency response, extending into the ultrasonic region.
Jack Hunt ("JH/2") mastered many of MFSL's releases in the 1970s and 1980s. Some later titles were mastered by John LeMay and Paul Stubblebine, with a few uncredited releases. Currently, Shawn R. Britton and Rob LoVerde are mastering most LPs for MFSL. CD, SACD, and audio cassette mastering has been done by a variety of engineers, most recently by Britton. The company has only had a handful of engineers in its history.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 3:49 am 

Well, stupid faggot Best Buy wound up only having Joe's, Thing Fish and Tinseltown. The jewel case for TR was completely smashed enough to damage the booklet so I only got the other 2.

Anyway, Joe's is absolutely amazing. Lots of low end and IMO an upgrade from ALL previous versions of the CDs and LPs

Last edited by jaypfunk on Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:14 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:04 am 

Good info, but my 80's EMI booklet for the Joe's Garage CD's says "disc mastering by Stan Ricker and Jack Hunt". Makes you still wonder?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:12 am 

Amazon UK now has MOTHERMANIA listed for October 30 release!!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mothermania-Fra ... 32&sr=1-13

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 4:55 am 

The packaging for Thing Fish is really cool. It comes with a one sheet with the cover on it that is textured just like the LP booklet. It also has the full booklet that came with the LPs and CDs are textured as well.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 5:31 am 

Listening to Joe right now and all I can say is, HOLY CRAP! The sound is so much fuller, clearer, and punchier than the Ryko. Reminds me of the vinyl. I'm currently cranking it without any distortion and can finally hear why people praise this as Vinnie's finest hour ... the drums just crack right along and shine with detail. Possibly Frank's hottest album, groove-wise? I'm so glad I bought this. I never realized how bad the Ryko was until now...

Also, Frank's guitar sounds unreal. Like he's sitting in my room right now and just playing his heart out.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:11 am 

According to my Norwegian shop these five titles are remastered from the latest batch:

Frank Zappa - Tinseltown Rebellion (Remastered)
Frank Zappa - You Are What You Is (Remastered)
Frank Zappa - Shut Up ´N Play Yer Guitar (2CD Remastered)
Frank Zappa - Them Or Us (Remastered)
Frank Zappa - Joe´s Garage Acts I, II & III (2CD Remastered)

Is this information correct?
Hope I will get them tomorrow. :D

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 1:22 pm 

Went to Best Buy today.

They had:

You Are What You Is
Joes Garage
Thing Fish
Drowning Witch

I bought You Are What You Is. Sounds bitchin. Had full intentions of buying Joes Garage but the plastic wrap was torn and the jewel case smashed. Shitty.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 2:13 pm 

Amazon UK has preorder for Mystery Disc (don't know if this has been mentioned)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mystery-Disc-Fr ... 46&sr=1-28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:04 pm 

HJ wrote:
Amazon UK has preorder for Mystery Disc (don't know if this has been mentioned) http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mystery-Disc-Fr ... 46&sr=1-28
This is one of the set pieces of the final dozen. What I'm curious about (and everyone else of course) is the fourth dozen. Gail says:

Francesco Zappa
Frank Zappa Meets The Mothers Of Prevention
Does Humor Belong In Music?
Jazz From Hell
Guitar
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, Vol. 1
You Can't Do That On Stage Anymore, The Helsinki Tapes, Vol. 2
Broadway The Hard Way
The Best Band You Never Heard In Your Life
Make A Jazz Noise Here
*Mothermania
*Exciting New Title (TBA): Compiled by Frank Zappa just in time for what turns out to be THIS U.S. Presidential Election!!!

This does not tally exactly with what has been announced elsewhere but obviously Gail's announcement has to be the one. I'm assuming that Mothermania is #7 and is part of the 60, so I guess this other one will have a number as well, between 1 and 60. We can't just go by release numbers because Joe's Garage and LSO both used 2 release numbers, SUAPYG used 3 release numbers, the Old Masters boxes were given release numbers, so there's another 3.

Being released as 12 CD boxes a shot that makes Yellow shark CD Box #55 (release #62). So what are the other 5 CD boxes. Food for thought.

Anbybody, what number is on the new Joe's Garage, SUAPYG and Thing Fish?

Of course, if they're planning on including CP3, The Lost Episodes, Have I Offended Someone and Mystery Disc, then the "Exiting New Title" is the only extra one. That is, assuming that 200 Motels will eventually appear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:19 am 

I got Absolutely Free! and Hot Rats yesterday. Came home late and listened to It Must Be A Camel twice - sounds sweet 8)

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:26 am 

polydigm wrote:

Joe's is 28 and 29.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:25 am 

polydigm wrote:

Joe's Garage is #28-29; SUAPYG is #31-33; Thing-Fish is #41.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:48 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Joe's is 28 and 29.

SUAPYG is 31, 32, & 33.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 6:49 am 

First post on the site. The new releases have brought me back to a phase in my life when I listen to nothing but Zappa (I am 43 and only started getting into him in my 30s). I had a bunch of the old Rykos, but have been grabbing the new versions like crazy. I’ve been lucky that the two Best Buys near me have had many of the CDs, and the others I have found at a local indie record store. I’ve been selling old random, outdated CDs & DVDs to scratch together enough cash to grab ‘em while they’re hot.

In August, I started with Hot Rats. Then updated my copies of AF & WRMF. Then BWS and Fillmore East. Then Sleep Dirt (only had a mp3 file of the Ryko vocal version). Then SY & OSFA. Then Waka/Jawaka. Then Studio Tan (only had mp3 file). Then I bought WOIIFTM and Lumpy Gravy (I had the twofer with the new drums/bass, the newer Ryko Money, & Lumpy on mp3, but I bought both to have the original Money cover and have a physical copy of Lumpy). Then JABFLA (only had mp3 before). The CWRATJ (only had mp3). This week I picked up TTR & OF (had these two as mp3s). Then picked up Joe’s Garage yesterday.

I now have everything through SATLTSADW in one CD form or another, and I’m looking to fill in most or all of the gaps after that. I’m not really a vinyl guy. I still need to get the new mixes of CR, OS, A, BF, ZA, and even though I have essentially the same version on Ryko, I really want the new Uncle Meat just because its such an awesome album. Will definitely snatch up Grand Wazoo when they fix the glitches. I'll stick with my Ryko versions of FO, R&E, & ZINY, and probably SATLTSABW, SUAPYG, YCDTOSA 1 & 2, and MAJNH. Other than those, I’ll be grabbing a big chunk of the October & November batches.

Anyway, loving the new releases. They sound amazing. As soon as I heard Hot Rats, I knew I was gonna be tracking down most of the rest of the new ones, especially the ones truer to the original vinyl mixes.

Just struggling trying to keep the spending to a sane level (and not piss off the wife :P )...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 8:58 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
evildick wrote:
Has anyone compared the EMI Yerbouti to the Universal Yerbouti yet?

the new one is better than the EMI, IMO. the new one has more bass and better instrument separation including the layered vocals. they are very close.

When putting on the new SY for the first time today, I thought it sounded good, but from memory I thought my old EMI was sounding equally good and I could have saved the money. But then I couldn't resist and made a comparison. The EMI is much thinner and more harsh in the high frequencies. The bottom end is much better on the new one without being boomy. The frequency spectrum seems to be very well balanced. The new one has lots of treble, too, but not the harshness like the EMI. And I'm having the impression, for the first time, that the 4-track recordings like SY Tango are "as clear as the rest of the album" now. I have never heard the fucked up Ryko.

From all the reissues so far though, the one that I can't get enough of is Chunga's Revenge: simply a stunning listening experience.

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:03 am 

just plain doug wrote:
zomby'sprog wrote:
polydigm wrote:

Joe's is 28 and 29.

SUAPYG is 31, 32, & 33.

Thing Fish 41
London Symphony Orchestra Vols I & II 38/40
Uncle Meat 6 not 7 that number is for Mothermainia :|

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:10 am 

cleon wrote:
Thing Fish 41

Really? What numbers are The Perfect Stranger and Them Or Us?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:15 am 

dlokazip wrote:
cleon wrote:
Thing Fish 41

39 and 40.

edit London Symphony Orchestra Vols I & II 38 and 48.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:16 am 

cleon wrote:

LSO is #38 & #48.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:17 am 

cleon wrote:
dlokazip wrote:
cleon wrote:
Thing Fish 41

39 and 40.

So, does that mean that London Symphony Orchestra Vols I & II is 38/48, not 38/40? Was that a typo before?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 90, 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96 ... 120  Next