Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:21 am 

dlokazip wrote:

So, does that mean that London Symphony Orchestra Vols I & II is 38/48, not 38/40? Was that a typo before?

Correct i did a Edit.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:35 pm 

Thinman wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
evildick wrote:
Has anyone compared the EMI Yerbouti to the Universal Yerbouti yet?

the new one is better than the EMI, IMO. the new one has more bass and better instrument separation including the layered vocals. they are very close.

When putting on the new SY for the first time today, I thought it sounded good, but from memory I thought my old EMI was sounding equally good and I could have saved the money. But then I couldn't resist and made a comparison. The EMI is much thinner and more harsh in the high frequencies. The bottom end is much better on the new one without being boomy. The frequency spectrum seems to be very well balanced. The new one has lots of treble, too, but not the harshness like the EMI. And I'm having the impression, for the first time, that the 4-track recordings like SY Tango are "as clear as the rest of the album" now. I have never heard the fucked up Ryko.

From all the reissues so far though, the one that I can't get enough of is Chunga's Revenge: simply a stunning listening experience.

Th.

Interesting - thanks for the feedback folks. I had the vinyl of SY so that's always going to be the benchmark but I'm really looking forward to hearing the Universal release. There's so much happening on that record, so many layers to separate, frequencies to balance, etc.. And you're right about Chunga - it sounds great.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 3:04 pm 

I have a question for anybody who has the new version of YAWYI. I have the EMI and first Ryko edition (the bad batch version with the cut Dumb All Over guitar solo), but never bothered to get the '95 remaster or the '98 upgrade. How does the new version stack up to the '98 upgrade? How much of the guitar solo section at the end of Dumb All Over is intact versus the EMI versus the '98 Ryko upgraded versions?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:44 pm 

1998 Ryko
Dumb All Over 5:46
Heavenly Bank Account 3:45

2012 Universal
Dumb All Over 6:14
Heavenly Bank Account 4:02

I haven't heard the 2012 yet, but the track timings suggest Dumb All Over is at full length and fades out while on the 98 Ryko they cut off a bit of it and spliced it to Heavenly Bank Account.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:42 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
I have a question for anybody who has the new version of YAWYI. I have the EMI and first Ryko edition (the bad batch version with the cut Dumb All Over guitar solo), but never bothered to get the '95 remaster or the '98 upgrade. How does the new version stack up to the '98 upgrade? How much of the guitar solo section at the end of Dumb All Over is intact versus the EMI versus the '98 Ryko upgraded versions?

It goes on and on to a long fade out. After maybe two seconds of silence it bursts forth at high level segueing into Heavenly Bank Account as if someone flipped the LP over and played side 2.
All things considered I guess it's the best choice.
The sound is awesome. Vocals have a "you are there" sound to them and the guitar solos hover nicely between the speakers a little to the rear.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 7:17 pm 

Stopped by HMV and they had all the new titles on the $10 rack except for LSO. I picked them up, too good a price to say no to. After I got home, I wondered if they stuck LSO in the classical section not realizing what it was. I'll have to have a second look!

Just listening to the new Roxy & Elsewhere (I'm going through these in order so not onto the new titles yet). Sounds good, but thin in parts compared to the other recordings leading up to it. I'll continue to await the project/object on this one.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:14 am 

evildick wrote:
Interesting - thanks for the feedback folks. I had the vinyl of SY so that's always going to be the benchmark but I'm really looking forward to hearing the Universal release. There's so much happening on that record, so many layers to separate, frequencies to balance, etc.. And you're right about Chunga - it sounds great.

There is one thing that irritates me about this reissue of SY: The beginning of Dancin' Fool. Did someone (Dweezil?) make himself a private joke and secretly overdub some guitar there during remastering? I would have to compare it to the original vinyl but I don't remember it ever being that massive.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:23 am 

Thinman wrote:
There is one thing that irritates me about this reissue of SY: The beginning of Dancin' Fool. Did someone (Dweezil?) make himself a private joke and secretly overdub some guitar there during remastering? I would have to compare it to the original vinyl but I don't remember it ever being that massive.

Th.

Are you talking about the power chords in the opening section? They've always been there and always very prominent in the mix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:27 am 

Yes, the power chords. I know that they were there from the beginning, but they are not nearly as powerful on the EMI version. I can't compare to the vinyl at the moment because my record player is stashed away due to construction work in our house.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:39 am 

Thinman wrote:
Yes, the power chords. I know that they were there from the beginning, but they are not nearly as powerful on the EMI version. I can't compare to the vinyl at the moment because my record player is stashed away due to construction work in our house.

Th.

i just compared the EMI and 2012 CDs. To suggest that Dweezil overdubbed is ridiculous.

Anyway... they are identical other than the fact that the 2012 is a clearer and more dynamic sounding mix.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:52 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

i just compared the EMI and 2012 CDs. To suggest that Dweezil overdubbed is ridiculous.

Anyway... they are identical other than the fact that the 2012 is a clearer and more dynamic sounding mix.

Yeah. I just double checked, too. No additional guitar. The new CD is just much better frequency-wise and in channel separation. The better low end makes the left channel power chord more prominent. The EMI doesn't sound bad on its own, but sounds like shit in comparison. That means I will have to get YAWYI and TR also. What's your opinion on JG?

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:02 am 

Thinman wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

Yeah. I just double checked, too. No additional guitar. The new CD is just much better frequency-wise and in channel separation. The better low end makes the left channel power chord more prominent. The EMI doesn't sound bad on its own, but sounds like shit in comparison. That means I will have to get YAWYI and TR also. What's your opinion on JG?

Th.

LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE the new JG. Same thing as most of these... better channel separation. better dynamics. boosted low end. brilliant.

the only analog sourced 2012 that comes up short is Bongo Fury. Something about it, especially, Debra, just doesn't sound right. Lots of high end frequency is cut ie: cymbals and snare drum.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:07 am 

Thinman wrote:

Th.

The original Ryko doesn't sound bad on its own, but sounds like shit in comparison. :wink:
The whole thing sounds fuller. Bass, drums, and vocals sound a lot better on the new CD.

You must get the new YAWYI and TR. They both sound incredible by any standard (and I don't even like TR that much).

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:11 am 

jaypfunk wrote:

the only analog sourced 2012 that comes up short is Bongo Fury. Something about it, especially, Debra, just doesn't sound right. Lots of high end frequency is cut ie: cymbals and snare drum.

Really? This is one of the ones that I treasure the most, but then I've never heard the vinyl, just the Ryko crap.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:12 am 

dlokazip wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Th.

The original Ryko doesn't sound bad on its own, but sounds like shit in comparison. :wink:
The whole thing sounds fuller. Bass, drums, and vocals sound a lot better on the new CD.

You must get the new YAWYI and TR. They both sound incredible by any standard (and I don't even like TR that much).

Shit. And I thought I could save some money for a change. I think I will not listen to anything but these remasters 'til the end of my days.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:16 am 

My local Best Buy finally got SUAPYG, OF, DW, TTR and YAWYI in stock. picking them up on the way home

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:24 am 

Thinman wrote:
Shit. And I thought I could save some money for a change. I think I will not listen to anything but these remasters 'til the end of my days.

Yeah, I thought that about Joe's Garage, too. What caused me to pull the trigger was comparing my LP to the original Ryko CD. I realized that the original Ryko had the same sort of sound that the old EMI CDs have. Even on my beat-up, bought at Goodwill copy of Act I, I could tell that the EQ on the LP was better.

In addition, the new CDs of Over-nite Sensation and Zoot Allures sound better than my LPs! I figured that if they could do that good of a job on those titles, the new JG would sound great. I wasn't disappointed.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:51 am 

Right, I'd hate to start my 1st real post like this, but I'm a bit peeved.
As of being a new guy to the wonders of Zappa, I obviously wish to purchase the delightful new re-issues.
Problem is, the price.
You lucky sods over there in America, have a HMV which sells them for 10 bucks.
Here, it's £15.
So your 10 bucks, is around 7 of ours, so can someone explain why their double the price? I really would love to get a boat load of Zappa goodies, but instead, my wallet is on perma-zip lock until it sees something well priced.
I know you pay for your quality, but if I can get Doolittle for £2.50, why must this be 6X more?
Cheers, me dears.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:55 am 

RANT...

THIS is why Best Buy is going down the fucking tubes. STUPIDITY!!
I go to my local Best Buy to pick up SUAPYG, OF, Ship, TTR and YAWYI which they finally have in stock and what do I see? 10 friggin copies of Thing-Fish, 10 copies of SUAPYG, 5 each of TTR, Ship and YAWYI. 1 each of the 1st batch and ZERO from the second batch. Asinine!! Their music buyers need to fucking decapitated!! 10 copies of Thing-Fish and NO Sheik, OS or (')!! Morons.

...END RANT.

So here's my take on the next 5...

SUAPYG - AMAZING!! nothing more to say. haven't compared to the 3 CD Ryko yet.

OF - Very good and identical to the Ryko which I never really had a problem with although I do prefer the LP a little more.

TTR - again... AMAZING!! very cool pic of FZ in CD tray.

YAWYI - again... AMAZING!

Ship - Sounds fine, no different than the Ryko. The one thing they should have done is use the ORIGINAL ARTWORK for this along with the pics from the Vally Girl single. They used the Ryko artwork which always bugged me because the pics of FZ and Moon were NOT period correct.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:29 am 

Yeah, the Best Buy situation around here hasn't changed and I live and work near several of them. It seems that while most have bought about 6 from the first round, if those haven't sold, they don't buy any more.
Then there is the store that I bought 3 from the first round: They replaced the ones I bought and added doubles of the ones I didn't buy, then still haven't included any more.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:44 am 

Yup, their strategy seems to be pretty non-existent or, at the least, completely different from location-to-location. Dumb all over... :wink:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:42 am 

The HMV that I have been getting these for $10 for have upped the price on some of the first wave. I noticed Money and Lumpy had "2/$25" stickers instead of $10. Not a big price hike, but a little silly.

Listening to One Size Fits All. Brilliant! Always like this one. I'd have "Sofa" play at my funeral. A wonderful piece of music.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:23 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
last nite i compared the Orchestral favorites LP to the 1995 Ryko CD and all I have to say is JESUS CHRIST does that CD suck a giant pink dog penis. Some of the instruments are just completely buried in that shitty CD mix.

it's too bad that the new CD is still using the Ryko version

jaypfunk wrote:
… OF - Very good and identical to the Ryko which I never really had a problem with although I do prefer the LP a little more. …

Good to know that even you are sometimes unsure about your opinions. :)

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:02 am 

The other thing i am trying to figure out is WTF is the picture on the SATLTSADW CD. never seen this before.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:10 am 

Out of the 3 Best Buys in my town, one stocked about half of ther first batch and a few of the second batch and diddly squat from the third. The second BB store stocked a few titles from the first batch and none from the second two. The third BB store has none of the FZ titles. I ordered ZA and SD from the first BB location and got thoroughly dicked around waiting for them to arrive in the mail.

There are also a little over a half dozen smaller independantly owned used/new record stores in my town and none of them stoicked any of the titles, but said they could do special orders. Looks like I'll be ordering the rest through Amazon or Barfco Swill.

Best Buy sucks ass.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 91, 92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97 ... 120  Next