Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 12:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 120  Next
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:50 am 

I got the "Mothermania" CD today and I'm wondering about the German text on the back.
Can anyone tell me, if this is just a German version of the CD or are all copies that way?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:55 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Wouldn't it be crazy if the ZFT posted something on their website with details on releases they're trying to promote and/or sell? That'd be nuts! :mrgreen:

I don't understand. Are you referring to some kind of information that is released when there's a..? No, no, I don't get it... Penguin, you're bloody weird!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:59 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Wouldn't it be crazy if the ZFT posted something on their website with details on releases they're trying to promote and/or sell? That'd be nuts! :mrgreen:

I don't understand. Are you referring to some kind of information that is released when there's a..? No, no, I don't get it... Penguin, you're bloody weird!

Haha.... Ignore me, IrishBoris - sometimes my mind drifts into this weird place where things make sense through the forces of reason and logic. Then slowly, everything drifts back to this much-more-common world where shit's all fucked up! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:29 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Let the record show (Your Honor), both the beloved JPC and Amazon show the "sexy time" FZ cover. :mrgreen:

I think ALL the possible covers are pretty cool... The COOLEST for me would be -- fat box, sexy or lather/cream pie on outside, blackface (the original!) inside first tray - with the possibility of turning the blackface around to adorn the outside with said sexy or lather on inside... Den... Next tray would again be sexy or lather (prefer lather for tray 2) - wit-- de black back that was owiginially intended fo' de owiginal 8 sided album conceived by blackface Zappa in 1977! This would satisfy both historical, esthetic and constructionist DIY desires 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:08 pm 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
I got the "Mothermania" CD today and I'm wondering about the German text on the back.
Can anyone tell me, if this is just a German version of the CD or are all copies that way?

All releases, including the original vinyl release, have german text on the back cover.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:10 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
IrishBoris wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

Haha.... Ignore me, IrishBoris - sometimes my mind drifts into this weird place where things make sense through the forces of reason and logic. Then slowly, everything drifts back to this much-more-common world where shit's all fucked up! :mrgreen:

Keep an eye on that, Mr Bondage, people have been placed in sanatoria for less!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:50 pm 

What the fuck was wrong with the cover they were showing when I clicked the bloody preorder button?

I never thought they could come up with a cover that would bother me that much, but that's fucking awful - Frank must be rolling in his grave.

Edit: Okay I was having a bad day, this is not normally my style. I actually like the new Läther cover now that I've seen it in it's entirety and I normally wouldn't make comments like the above before a release arrives ...

Last edited by polydigm on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:51 am 

amazon.de wrote:
Ein gewaltiges Kult-Oeuvre der Kern-Karriere-Phase Frank Zappas, aufgenommen 1976, danach zerstückelt und verstreut, erschien 1996 posthum als 3-CD-Ausgabe: Läther.Jetzt gibt es den essentiellen, eigentlich als 4-LP-Set angelegten großen Wurf des kalifornischen Maestros neu im 3-CD-DigiPak mit erweiterten Liner-Notes.
1977 weigerte sich Zappas damalige Plattenfirma, Läther in dem von Zappa angelegten monumentalen Format zu veröffentlichen. Zähne knirschend brachte Zappa diverse Teile auf den LPs "Live in New York", "Sleep Dirt", "Studio Tan" und "Orchestral Favorites" unter.

Die aktuelle Läther-Ausgabe bringt es alles wieder in die richtige Reihenfolge und hängt noch vier Bonustracks dran. Die drei CDs sind tatsächlich eine Art Resümee aller Spielarten des Rockers, Komponisten, Gitarren-Virtuosen, Fusion-Gniedlers und grenzwertigen Spaßmachers Frank Zappa: Jazz-Rock, Hard-Rock, Orchester-Stücke, Comedy und Klang-Experimente machen "Läther" legendär. Nur sechs Tracks sind am Ende mit den alternativ veröffentlichten Läther-Titeln identisch, der Rest erscheint in anderen Mixen oder exklusiv auf Läther.

...means: digipack and with 4 bonus tracks, if the Kräutermeiers didn't get their Nundtstück wrong --

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:57 am 

just plain doug wrote:
VacuumCleaner wrote:

All releases, including the original vinyl release, have german text on the back cover.

I've only got the UK vinyl release from 1972 and it has no German text!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:17 am 

IrishBoris wrote:
Keep an eye on that, Mr Bondage, people have been placed in sanatoria for less!

Good point but that is the best place to go for snorting detergent! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 7:19 am 

polydigm wrote:
What the fuck was wrong with the cover they were showing when I clicked the bloody preorder button?

I never thought they could come up with a cover that would bother me that much, but that's fucking awful - Frank must be rolling in his grave.

Hmmm - which one are you referring to? "Sexy Time" Frank or "Whip Cream" Frank (or the "Italian Cow")?

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:36 am 

Right now on Amazon it's the whipped cream.

And what happened to Ahead of Their Time?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am 

polydigm wrote:
Right now on Amazon it's the whipped cream.

And what happened to Ahead of Their Time?

http://www.amazon.com/Ahead-Their-Time- ... their+time

I guess someone messed up and scanned one of the inner panels rather than the cover.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 8:49 am 

Sainsbury entertainment are selling Lather online for £8.99
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173078

Also they are selling Finer Moments at the same price. That's my order with amazon cancelled.
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173077

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:13 am 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
VacuumCleaner wrote:

I've only got the UK vinyl release from 1972 and it has no German text!

Every single release except your particular copy......
No, my original US release has the German text but the UK Verve select from '72 probably scrimped on the detail to save cost. Is your issue in a gatefold sleeve?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:19 am 

Tyronehell wrote:
Sainsbury entertainment are selling Lather online for £8.99
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173078

Also they are selling Finer Moments at the same price. That's my order with amazon cancelled.
http://www.sainsburysentertainment.co.u ... =E11173077

Thanks for share; excellent deals. 8)

EDIT: Shipping speed is pretty poor- dispatch within 6 working days with a then 3-5 working day delivery time frame- but Amazon won't price match so I'm still mulling this one over (in terms of where to order from). Good resource to have in repertoire for future though (already ordered a presumably E
U Grand Wazoo reissue from there). :D

Last edited by BloodSugar00 on Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 9:52 am 

I got my copy of the new (European) Läther today. I can confirm it's a digipak, and it doesn't have any bonus tracks on it (ends with Greggery Peccary). I like the new cover, but unfortunately the packaging itself isn't too great. The discs are not easy to remove from their sleeves at all and the cardboard feels flimsy. I'd have preferred a jewel case to be honest (to go with the other reissues).

BTW, the source is the 1996 digital master. Sounds the same as the Ryko to my ears.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:15 am 

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:
I got my copy of the new (European) Läther today. I can confirm it's a digipak, and it doesn't have any bonus tracks on it (ends with Greggery Peccary). I like the new cover, but unfortunately the packaging itself isn't too great. The discs are not easy to remove from their sleeves at all and the cardboard feels flimsy. I'd have preferred a jewel case to be honest (to go with the other reissues).

BTW, the source is the 1996 digital master. Sounds the same as the Ryko to my ears.

thanks for the heads up, looks like I can skip this one since I already have the cow version with the bonus tracks and the digipack wont match the other releases either.

Shame they didn't analogue source this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:19 am 

Yes, thank you for the report, Mr. Monkey!

Once again, we've gained "the facts" by having one of our own "report in to base camp".
"Whatever Happened To All The Facts In The World?" :mrgreen:

EDIT: Oh, also - what front cover is it then? "Sexy Time" Frank or "Whip Cream" Frank?

Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 10:24 am 

The whip cream one is on the front. But the "sexy Frank" reveals himself when you fold open the package. There's another image of Frank with the whipped cream partly wiped from his face too.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:00 am 

thenoisydrum wrote:
Every single release except your particular copy......
No, my original US release has the German text but the UK Verve select from '72 probably scrimped on the detail to save cost. Is your issue in a gatefold sleeve?

No gatefold, with just the tracklist on the back. And since it's the only version I had so far, I was wondering about the German text on the CD :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:24 am 

Odd decision, dumping the bonus tracks, particularly when they held on to the universally reviled Uncle Meat extras. I'm curious what the reasoning there is. Kind of reminds me of when the David Bowie catalog got reissued as bare bones editions without all of the bonus tracks from the Ryko editions.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:33 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:

thanks for the heads up, looks like I can skip this one since I already have the cow version with the bonus tracks and the digipack wont match the other releases either.

Shame they didn't analogue source this one.

The Ryko was an analog source. No need to do a new transfer, at least as far as I can tell. I would have voted to keep the bonus cuts though.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:55 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
Odd decision, dumping the bonus tracks, particularly when they held on to the universally reviled Uncle Meat extras. I'm curious what the reasoning there is. Kind of reminds me of when the David Bowie catalog got reissued as bare bones editions without all of the bonus tracks from the Ryko editions.

The Uncle Meat extras, mixing, and sequencing was Frank's decision. The Läther bonus tracks were decided on by the ZFT. I'm sure the ZFT had an easy time reversing themselves.

My hope is that they incorporate "Leather Goods" and "Revenge Of The Knick Knack People" into a different release. I guess we will see.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:39 pm 

ThreeHeadedMonkey wrote:
The whip cream one is on the front. But the "sexy Frank" reveals himself when you fold open the package. There's another image of Frank with the whipped cream partly wiped from his face too.

Reveals himself, you say? :mrgreen:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2979 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 112, 113, 114, 115, 116, 117, 118 ... 120  Next