Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 6:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:54 pm 

Since the original thread had become a pissing contest, here is the second try. I decided the following quote from the last was my personal favorite place to start:

jaypfunk wrote:
Gail said that the CDs will be clearly marked as to what the sources are. Great if you are actually holding one in a store. But what about the online listings? THAT FUCKING INFO SHOULD ALREADY BE AVAILABLE BY NOW!!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:49 pm 

Buy them all!! That's what I'm doing.

/thread

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 2:54 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Since the original thread had become a pissing contest, here is the second try. I decided the following quote from the last was my personal favorite place to start:

jaypfunk wrote:
Gail said that the CDs will be clearly marked as to what the sources are. Great if you are actually holding one in a store. But what about the online listings? THAT FUCKING INFO SHOULD ALREADY BE AVAILABLE BY NOW!!

It's how she does things. She explained it in an interview but I can't find it now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:34 pm 

Why aren't you guys taking into account the amazon samples? They all sound like the original LP's, and the track timings and tracklistings match the original LP's. I don't think it's a huge mystery what they will contain. We already know what to expect mastering-wise (see: Greasy Love Songs & MOFO).

As Jay said, just buy 'em all! Take your old Ryko's to FYE or any place that will give you a decent chunk of change, and put the money towards the new ones.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:42 pm 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
As Jay said, just buy 'em all! Take your old Ryko's to FYE or any place that will give you a decent chunk of change, and put the money towards the new ones.

This I do not agree with. I am fetishist collector and must have all available versions.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Wen D. Carlos wrote:

This I do not agree with. I am fetishist collector and must have all available versions.

I used to be that way but in the past few years I've thinned out my collection quite a bit. I just don't have room for all that shit anymore. I tend to get rid of things that are inferior masterings/versions. I only hang on to the good stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:48 pm 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
Why aren't you guys taking into account the amazon samples? They all sound like the original LP's, and the track timings and tracklistings match the original LP's. I don't think it's a huge mystery what they will contain. We already know what to expect mastering-wise (see: Greasy Love Songs & MOFO).

That does sound reasonable. My main objection at this point is the fact that I have yet to see a list of exactly what is going to be re-released. Will Francesco Zappa be part of the release? Mystery Disc? Lather? Lost Episodes? Shut up and play your guitar? The only info any of us has is from attempting to put together bits and pieces of info from other sources. Besides that, as of right now, Amazon US still does not even have the sound samples up. So to get any info we have to go to outside, non-traditional sources, and try to put random bits of info together on our own. Pathetic.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:54 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Wen D. Carlos wrote:

That does sound reasonable. My main objection at this point is the fact that I have yet to see a list of exactly what is going to be re-released. Will Francesco Zappa be part of the release? Mystery Disc? Lather? Lost Episodes? Shut up and play your guitar? The only info any of us has is from attempting to put together bits and pieces of info from other sources. Besides that, as of right now, Amazon US still does not even have the sound samples up. So to get any info we have to go to outside, non-traditional sources, and try to put random bits of info together on our own. Pathetic.

She said 60 titles and if you remove the gratuitous stuff, it appears to be everything up to Civilization Phase 3, maybe Yellow Shark. Basically, everything that was included in the main Ryko catalog circa 1995. I imagine that Lather and Lost Episodes will come later. Also, 200 Motels doesn't appear to be included in the campaign but it's a definite possibility in the future, as Universal owns the rights to it now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:56 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Wen D. Carlos wrote:

I cannot help but laugh a bit. I told my wife earlier today I was going to start working to be less hyper-critical. Not doing very well so far I guess. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:02 pm 

Actually, looking at the list of official Zappa releases, it appears that "60 titles" would include everything released by Ryko, plus Civilization Phase 3 and FZ Plays FZ. But if you take away 200 Motels, it's only 59 titles.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:14 pm 

Are you including Joe's Garage as 3 different releases (Official Release #28 Joe’s Garage Act I 1979, Official Release #29 Joe’s Garage Acts II & III 1979, and Joe’s Garage Acts I, II & III 1987)? Same question for London Symphony. I would hope they would do them both as one, but who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:22 pm 

duchamp wrote:
Are you including Joe's Garage as 3 different releases (Official Release #28 Joe’s Garage Act I 1979, Official Release #29 Joe’s Garage Acts II & III 1979, and Joe’s Garage Acts I, II & III 1987)? Same question for London Symphony. I would hope they would do them both as one, but who knows?

No, I lumped those together. If they are included seperately, then you can scratch the posthumous stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 4:47 pm 

60 TITLES, not 60 separate discs. Joe's Garage and SUAPYG along with any other 2 cd set will be counted as 1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 5:46 pm 

Yeah, she clearly said 60 "titles". It appears to me that Ryko released 59 titles total (starting in 1995, and not counting their own compilations.) So if you take away "200 Motels", that leaves you with two mystery titles. My guess is that "Civilization" will be one of them, but who knows.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:47 pm 

I suggest buying only those which are not placebos.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:48 pm 

I'm finally looking forward to hearing the albums as originally released, without the tweezing that the Rykos received.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2012 8:59 pm 

Wen D. Carlos wrote:
Yeah, she clearly said 60 "titles". It appears to me that Ryko released 59 titles total (starting in 1995, and not counting their own compilations.) So if you take away "200 Motels", that leaves you with two mystery titles. My guess is that "Civilization" will be one of them, but who knows.

200 Motels getting released would be boner-riffic.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 12:09 am 

The way I see it, Barry....

Seeing as how the title of this thread specifically includes the words "What To Buy," my little pea brain tends to think that the discussion ought to be limited to the twelve titles which are actually available for purchase.

Yeah, I know: I'm a fucktard. Carry on...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 4:48 am 

dolphyfan wrote:
Wen D. Carlos wrote:

200 Motels getting released would be boner-riffic.

it already was. Snooze... lose!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:30 am 

Now the first 12 are shown with covers on Amazon, with some price reduction going on. The explanations below each one seem to be taken exactly from information printed in the original LPs (even though the penalty tracks are still in UM).

I am convinced that the unadulterated WTP from the Fillmore may not exist. I cannot possibly afford to buy all FZ product over again. I did think that this was the thread to talk about what to buy for those who aren't buying everything. I think I want BWS, but I can wait for the reviews...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 6:46 am 

The covers have already been on Amazon for weeks and the pricing on some of them has actually gone up.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:03 am 

tweezers wrote:
I think I want BWS, but I can wait for the reviews...

I wonder if they fixed that weird tape warp at the very beginning of "Little House."

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:20 am 

madcow1515 wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I think I want BWS, but I can wait for the reviews...

I wonder if they fixed that weird tape warp at the very beginning of "Little House."

i like it. leave it alone. just kidding.

early pressings of the LP do not have it. later pressing do.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 am 

Here's hoping that Civilization Phaze III will be available commercially at a decent price!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:24 am 

BTW jayp, most of the covers have been up for weeks, they just put FO up yesterday and none of the tracklistings have been up for much more than a day or two (US Amazon). Now at least they don't show the new releases with reviews that were for the 1995 releases. I am not arguing, just saying that at least Amazon is providing some help to the prospective purchaser.