Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 5:54 pm 

Not really dedicated enough to puzzle this one out on my own. Anybody know what the number in the "FZ" icon in the packaging of the remasters is supposed to mean? I only bought the ones that seemed remastered enough to float my boat and here's what I've got:

Absolutely Free = 26
    Hot Rats = 28
    Burnt Weeny Sandwich = 28
    Weasels Ripped My Flesh = 29
    Chunga's Revenge = 28
    Fillmore East = 30
    Just Another Band from LA = 31

Seem to be roughly similar to FZ's age when the album was being recorded but it doesn't seem quite right (Chunga's Revenge stepping backward doesn't make a lot of sense to me). Anyone enlighten me?

the duke.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:06 pm 

Most of Chunga's Revenge was recorded in '69(the non-Flo/Eddie tracks), and some probably from the same sessions as Hot Rats, so that's why the 28 is there.

It will get confusing as these reissues go on. For instance I thought Weasels and BWS were both mainly recorded in '69, yet BWS must have been recorded a bit earlier than Weasels.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:24 am 

[quote="Fred_Zappelin"]Most of Chunga's Revenge was recorded in '69(the non-Flo/Eddie tracks), and some probably from the same sessions as Hot Rats, so that's why the 28 is there."

Well, yes and no (but a great observation nevertheless): Trans-Boogie and Chunga were recorded in 1970 for the aborted Hot Rats II lp (along with Twinkle Tits and maybe Bognor Regis). 20 Small Cigars (and perhaps the Clap) is definitely from the original Hot Rats sessions in 69. So, yes due to the 69 recording, I agree that the 28 belongs on Chunga's. But, if you follow the ZFT's apparent "dating rule" to the letter, shouldn't BWS reflect the earliest recording period for that lp? Which would be during the WIIFTM sessions in 1967 (or even earlier due to the inclusion of "Heavies" at the start of side 2). The "Theme From BWS" was actually an outtake from "Lonely Little Girl" - thus BWS's Age# should really be 26 (assuming recording was done prior to FZ's birthday that year). Gawd, this dicsussion could seriously get seriously out of hand if we let it! :^{=