Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:11 pm 

I was listening to the 2012 reissue "Over-nite Sensation" and noticed some distortion issues on the drums throughout pretty much every track. Has anyone else noticed this? I hope its not something on the master tapes, but rather a first run problem. I'm tempted to write the ZFT to see what gywine on here...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

zomby'sprog wrote:
I was listening to the 2012 reissue "Over-nite Sensation" and noticed some distortion issues on the drums throughout pretty much every track. Has anyone else noticed this? I hope its not something on the master tapes, but rather a first run problem. I'm tempted to write the ZFT to see what gywine on here...

i can't say i have noticed, i have been listening to this one the most for the past 2 weeks. in fact i was thinking the drums and bass sounded amazing on this album...

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:57 pm 

Have you been listening to it in headphones or in speakers? Haven't tried it in speakers yet.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:07 pm 

What sort of distortion?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:09 pm 

I hear smooth cream throughout. Is there a reference point in a particular song or multiple songs you could provide?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:12 pm 

Turn down your headphones.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:21 pm 

F.Natural wrote:
What sort of distortion?

It seems to stem from the bass drum.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:46 am 

No distortion heard here.
Have you listened to this on someone elses system?
What are you playing this on? What are you using as an amplifier? Speakers or headphones? Subwoofer involved?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:23 am 

F.Natural wrote:
No distortion heard here.
Have you listened to this on someone elses system?
What are you playing this on? What are you using as an amplifier? Speakers or headphones? Subwoofer involved?

I listened to it first ripped at 192 VBR on a Zune with Sony MDR-V6 studio monitor headphones. I thought maybe it was an MP3 issue, so I tried the CD on my Yamaha system and found the same results. The next step is to play it through the Klipsch's in the living room.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:51 am 

I always thought that especially the hihat was sounding a little harsh on this album from the beginning and that the drums have been recorded very "hot". That means the signals have often been driven into tape saturation. A common technique in analog tape recording to make use of the tape compression effect.

That can be heard on all issues of OS of course because it is in the recording. The older issues on CD have added reverb which makes it sound a little smoother and the "harshness" is less apparent.

You will have to turn up the first Ryko twofer-issue a little bit for comparison, because it isn't mastered to full tilt volume.

The new dry original presentation on the 2012 reissue lets us hear the original drum sound again. Other than that I can hear no additional distortion in the drums on this reissue.

Thinman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 10:47 am 

Thinman wrote:
I always thought that especially the hihat was sounding a little harsh on this album from the beginning and that the drums have been recorded very "hot". That means the signals have often been driven into tape saturation. A common technique in analog tape recording to make use of the tape compression effect.

That can be heard on all issues of OS of course because it is in the recording. The older issues on CD have added reverb which makes it sound a little smoother and the "harshness" is less apparent.

You will have to turn up the first Ryko twofer-issue a little bit for comparison, because it isn't mastered to full tilt volume.

The new dry original presentation on the 2012 reissue lets us hear the original drum sound again. Other than that I can hear no additional distortion in the drums on this reissue.

Thinman

That makes complete sense. If its apparent on the original master, then I can forgive it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:04 am 

there's NOTHING wrong with the new CD.

the drums are definitely "hot" in the mix in some sections of songs but it's part of the overall charm of this brilliant record. Some parts during the Fifty and ZW solos are soooooooooooooooo intense that the dynamics are so over the top but right when it feels like it's going to go over a cliff it all comes back down again. amazing!

what you are hearing is natural and real. not some over blown modern let's make this sound "right" production bullshit.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:08 am 

zomby'sprog wrote:
Thinman wrote:

Thinman

That makes complete sense. If its apparent on the original master, then I can forgive it.

No, he was describing harshness in the higher frequencies.

Last edited by F.Natural on Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:12 am 

What he said.

There is a lot of energy below 200Hz which is what you are hearing. Maybe your electronics is compressing or limiting the lows?

(I tried to attach a snapshot of the spectrum of part of Fifty-Fifty but kept getting an error...
Sorry, the board attachment quota has been reached.
The White Zone is for Loading or Unloading.....)

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:13 pm 

I don't look at waveforms and spectrums with this reissues. I just enjoy what I hear. Music is nothing to be looked at. Listen to it!

Th.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 2:16 am 

GREED

the only one from the first 2 batches I want not in my possession. yr killing me reading this stuff.

GREEDY GREEDY GREEDY, haven't even listened to all I have yet, but still....

First Zappa album I ever heard, too...

Guess I am a man with a mission today.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:27 am 

For whatever reason I can't open itunes at the moment, not that I care much, it mainly has Katy Perry and iCarly on it....BUT, can someone help with these Q's?:

1. ONS itunes has the I'M THE SLIME 7" version available while the ceedee DOES NOT, right?

2. Is the 7" available for individual d/l, or is it only offered as a package deal with the entire record?

Appreciate it................

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 3:53 am 

brainpang wrote:
For whatever reason I can't open itunes at the moment, not that I care much, it mainly has Katy Perry and iCarly on it....BUT, can someone help with these Q's?:

1. ONS itunes has the I'M THE SLIME 7" version available while the ceedee DOES NOT, right?

2. Is the 7" available for individual d/l, or is it only offered as a package deal with the entire record?

Appreciate it................

Yes it is iTunes only and can be downloaded separately.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 am 

Thank, jaypfunk.
It took a phone call, several minutes on hold, and then a return call from Best Buy about a half hour later to make sure they found the single available copy in the huge mega-store racks and put it behind the counter for me. Damn, times have changed. Not as bad and confusing as shopping for light bulbs, but close.