Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: First Frank?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:29 pm 

So maybe it is hard to pick a favorite, as Frank was so eclectic but how 'bout telling your first Frank and if you still consider it to be a favorite.<br>My first Zappa album, Joe's Garage, was lovingly giving to me by my brother on my twelve b-day. Great age to start with Frank I think. After 14 years I am still being surprised by different material. I still hold JG as a all time favorite but I yearn to hear more live Frank. I think part of the mystique of Frank was his control of the band and improvisation during the shows.

Post subject: Re: First Frank?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:15 am 

Apostrophe(') -I remember it like it was just 26 years ago.  As a matter of fact, the first Zappa song I heard was the song Apostrophe. I guess it will always be my sentimental favorite.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 6:27 am 

I first heard "Find Her Finer."  I didn't really know much about Zappa at the time except that "he was some weird dude with a moustache."  The feeling of the song kinda creeped me out; it was then I knew I needed more!<br><br>35 albums later and still counting!<br><br>-greg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 11:39 am 

My first one was Freak Out, which i bought when it came out because it had a cool cover. It took me a short while to get into it, as it was unlike anything Ihad herd before.<br>I remember talking about it in the clusters at high school, and being excioted that their were others who had discovered theis gem. None of us would ever be the same

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:01 pm 

I got The Man From Utopia first, and I still love it. It's not my favourite now, I like You Are What You Is more. I still like it a lot though.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 2:17 pm 

That Napolean the 14th backwards version was the flip side of the original single, even the label was backwards which I remember thinking was pretty cool at the time. What ever happened to  him, I wonder?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:53 pm 

Freak Out. ...Had a 1965 stereo the size of a Chris*Craft. Console job, one of the front legs would sometimes fold under...we called her Lena(:<br><br>My first post here, gotta say...<br>...you're part of us all Frank, we really miss ya.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 7:47 pm 

That would have to be joe's garage  8)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:02 pm 

hot rats....the horns drew me in, then the guitar, then the mudshark, the rest is history....

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 2:05 pm 

First Zappa I heard was Joe's Garage... some guy was playing a tape of it in the high school cafeteria... still a favorite to this day.<br><br><br>First Zappa I actually got to fondle and fetish on my own was Zappa In New York (edited vinyl release)... borrowed it from a friend and taped as many songs as I could fit on a blank cassette I had lying around... probably my all-time favorite Zappa, still.<br><br><br>Heard Overnite Sensation right around the same time as New York.... but never actually got to have a copy of my own... Never really became one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:42 am 

I dont remember what came to my ears first.<br>But it was either One Size or Joes Garage, Act 1, which both were frequently played on a tape by the freind of my elder sister in his car back in 1978 or 79. I got hooked anyway when Bobby Brown was n the german charts and on radio soon after.<br>My first own FZ record was Joes then.... glory days...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:59 am 

[quote author=detergent link=board=albums;num=1050398996;start=0#8 date=04/15/03 at 17:17:59]That Napolean the 14th backwards version was the flip side of the original single, even the label was backwards which I remember thinking was pretty cool at the time. What ever happened to  him, I wonder?[/quote]<br><br>My gran had that on 7". It was so very cool, I think my auntie has it now. My gran used to play me that and Donavan's Intergalactic Laxative when I stayed at her house, it was great.<br>

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:32 am 

Cheap Thrills was the first one I actually owned. I had already discovered him from a copy of Strictly Genteel which my parents had owned, and listened to several MP3s I had downloaded.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:42 am 

[quote author=Homsar link=board=albums;num=1050398996;start=15#16 date=04/17/03 at 14:32:39]Cheap Thrills was the first one I actually owned. I had already discovered him from a copy of Strictly Genteel which my parents had owned, and listened to several MP3s I had downloaded.[/quote]frank mp3s tend to be lo-fi versions of his tracks....cheep thrills also qualifies for 'less-than-stellar' audio quality....it goes to show that even with a lo-fi introduction to fz, you hung in there & [presumably] expanded your collection with some hi-quality recordings

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:15 pm 

hot rats: <br><br>I was 18/19 years old and it hasn't been a real shock but gave to me a lot of music-ideas that I never had before... so I started to listen others Zappalbums step by step and every new one was a new great idea!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:40 pm 

My first frank was probably when I was, I'm guessing, around 3 or 4 years old. Probably an Oscar Meyer or Shickhaus. My mom would cut one into bite size pieces and I'd dip the pieces in ketchup. Sometimes the skin would make me gag. <br><br>Somewhat later on in the early 70's, a coupla buddies and me were over some dudes house that we were gonna buy some weed from and we all got really stoned and he put on "Didja Get Any Onya" from Weasels.  I had never heard any FZ before and thought it was quite bizarre, but also excellent. That was my absolute first FZ listen.<br><br>

>You don't.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 2:33 pm 

The first Zappa CD I bought was the Ryko WOIIFTM/Lumpy Gravy 2-Fer back in '92 (Since replace in my collection by the '95 remasters).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:18 pm 

I had heard "Peaches En Regalia" on the radio and I ended up purchasing three albums before I found the correct one. But they are three of my favorite all time  recordings. Burnt Weenie Sandwich, Uncle Meat and <br>Hot Rats.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 3:36 pm 

Image<br><br>Of course it's still a favorite, but I don't listen to it as often as I used to because I practically played it out.  I know you can't really get bored of a classic like that, but I usually find myself listening to the stuff that followed more often.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2003 5:20 pm 

I was in a friend's basement. He had a mono copy of<br>"Absolutely Free"  By the time "Brown Shoes Don't Make<br>It" played, I was hooked!