Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:09 am 

I think GZ or who ever had that idea, lives in a world of minimum 30 years ago.

If they don't want to invest in releasing CDs that nobody buys anymore, why not simply put albums like this on Bandcamp?

The whole thing seems like a complicated way to tell the fans: "The Roxy Movie will never come out, because we can't afford to do, and it's YOUR fault!"

Th.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:12 am 

I think they'll get it quite easily, bad idea or not.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:14 am 

tweezers wrote:
Doug seriously, I was joking. I don't knock her for trying to raise capital, but I think there could have been a better model, where more people participate, at a lower per-person cost. I fully believe the stories about the problems they have with the ROXY tapes, but unless you and Sabbs have excess cash, it will be hard to find enough fanatics to make this idea of hers work. Or maybe I am crazy and this is the new financing gimmick to get out obscure musical product.

BTW Gail won't be suing me, and if she does, I have counsel.

I think Doug was aiming that more at my proposal of making a lossless download available. My point wasn't to "stick it to her". It was, like tweezers said, that this is a bad idea. And tweez brings up a great point on a "lower per-person cost". I buy the physical copies primarily to support the future release of Zappa product (namely Roxy) - and yes, there's a little 2-and-a-half-minute fetish factor in there where I salivate over the physical product (short-lived indeed). Once it's ripped into my library, <zap> out-of-sight, out-of-mind on the physical copy. So, as far as I'm concerned, I just want the audio. Sell the lossless download for $10 a pop and be done with it. Oh well - ho hum.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:18 am 

Thinman wrote:
"The Roxy Movie will never come out, because we can't afford to do, and it's YOUR fault!"

Love it! I hate to be so cynical about something that I've looked forward to for so many years. I love the whole "we're all in this together" ideology behind it. But you're right, Thinman, the way in which it's being presented is..... well, it just smells funny.
It does seem very 70's indeed in its approach. "Sending you the masters" - I mean, it's 2012. You could send me a zip file with the WAV files and a few artwork files and be done with it.

Side note: anyone else find insult to the injury by asking for $7 shipping? WTF? Just take it out of the ONE THOUSAND DOLLARS I just handed you!!! <harrumph>

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:27 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
tweezers wrote:
Doug seriously, I was joking. I don't knock her for trying to raise capital, but I think there could have been a better model, where more people participate, at a lower per-person cost. I fully believe the stories about the problems they have with the ROXY tapes, but unless you and Sabbs have excess cash, it will be hard to find enough fanatics to make this idea of hers work. Or maybe I am crazy and this is the new financing gimmick to get out obscure musical product.

BTW Gail won't be suing me, and if she does, I have counsel.

I think Doug was aiming that more at my proposal of making a lossless download available. My point wasn't to "stick it to her". It was, like tweezers said, that this is a bad idea. And tweez brings up a great point on a "lower per-person cost". I buy the physical copies primarily to support the future release of Zappa product (namely Roxy) - and yes, there's a little 2-and-a-half-minute fetish factor in there where I salivate over the physical product (short-lived indeed). Once it's ripped into my library, <zap> out-of-sight, out-of-mind on the physical copy. So, as far as I'm concerned, I just want the audio. Sell the lossless download for $10 a pop and be done with it. Oh well - ho hum.

Not aimed at just you. I said "everyone" to suggest any miss-step would result in joining in on her favourite hobby.
(Doug Seriously? Who's that? Never met him!) Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:31 am 

(Doug Seriously? Who's that? Never met him!) Image[/quote]

:) You are correct just plain doug, no offense meant. Hey, this whole subject has really got the posters postin'
8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:43 am 

tweezers wrote:
:) You are correct just plain doug, no offense meant. Hey, this whole subject has really got the posters postin'
8)

If only these posts were thousand dollar contributions! :mrgreen:
Sorry for the bad name call there, just plain doug. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:01 am 

tweezers wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
I can't believe I'm saying this, but where is Gary?
I want to know when he sent his $1000 in and what his plans are for world-wide sales. :mrgreen:

I think kapt.kirk said Gary lurks on Dweezil'a site.

Why not, he hangs from his balls too. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:18 am 

Okay, just for fun, lets say I went for this. I live in rural British Columbia where the audience for this would be next to nothing. I have no way of manufacturing the product and I opt for the Zappa Family Trust’s authorized third party manufacturer to make copies of the Master CD. I pay 11 bucks plus S&H (which we all know is highway robbery). I'm already a pretty shitty businessman but where's the profit?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:27 am 

garry wrote:
Okay, just for fun, lets say I went for this. I live in rural British Columbia where the audience for this would be next to nothing. I have no way of manufacturing the product and I opt for the Zappa Family Trust’s authorized third party manufacturer to make copies of the Master CD. I pay 11 bucks plus S&H (which we all know is highway robbery). I'm already a pretty shitty businessman but where's the profit?

You sell them for $50 a piece and you make a ton of profit!*

* - this is a terrible idea.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:30 am 

Maybe I could start a pre-order scheme where I promise the customer their name written right on the disc.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:34 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
just plain doug wrote:
Y'all want to get to know Gail better, right? Here's your chance to meet with her. In court. When she sues everyone mis-using the licence. Image

Cute. :mrgreen:
All it takes is one copy to hit the 'net and "owning a license" is useless. If someone wants to send me $1,000 - I'll hand them back $900 of it and then they've only wasted $100 on a useless transaction! :mrgreen:

And that one copy that hits the net will most likely come from a CD purchased direct from the ZFT and not one of these master discs. Let's face it, it's the age we live in.

If we as fans were interested in being distributors, we'd distribute music.

Here's the thing with kickstarter and indiegogo and crowd fund-raising. I've recently given to a project $125 with the reward being a music download and a T-Shirt. I gave because I want to see the end result happen. It would not be completely crazy for the ZFT to be able to get $250 for an exclusive T-Shirt and CD if they did a kickstarter type project to finish the Roxy film. $5000-$10,000 could get you a listening party in the UMRK. The potential rewards write themselves.

Instead, you pay $1000 to buy a pain in the ass.

So instead of the ZFT getting numerous $100 plus donations for a CD and what not via the kickstarter route, they'll get their usual $15 a disc and who knows how much from the licenses.

If they don't sell all the licenses is the Roxy project scrapped? The tone of the email was of a gun being put to the head of the fan. Support it or we kill the project!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:42 am 

garry wrote:
Maybe I could start a pre-order scheme where I promise the customer their name written right on the disc.

Nice... which reminds me, when Flaming Lips did that 6-hour long "song" (quotes intended) a while back, they were raising $ and if you gave it to them, Sean Lennon would recite your name in the middle of the song (needless to say, half of the freakin' "song" is Sean Lennon reciting people's names that you don't care about.

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:45 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
And that one copy that hits the net will most likely come from a CD purchased direct from the ZFT and not one of these master discs. Let's face it, it's the age we live in.

If we as fans were interested in being distributors, we'd distribute music.

Here's the thing with kickstarter and indiegogo and crowd fund-raising. I've recently given to a project $125 with the reward being a music download and a T-Shirt. I gave because I want to see the end result happen. It would not be completely crazy for the ZFT to be able to get $250 for an exclusive T-Shirt and CD if they did a kickstarter type project to finish the Roxy film. $5000-$10,000 could get you a listening party in the UMRK. The potential rewards write themselves.

Instead, you pay $1000 to buy a pain in the ass.

So instead of the ZFT getting numerous $100 plus donations for a CD and what not via the kickstarter route, they'll get their usual $15 a disc and who knows how much from the licenses.

If they don't sell all the licenses is the Roxy project scrapped? The tone of the email was of a gun being put to the head of the fan. Support it or we kill the project!

Agreed on virtually all points there, Ruz-El! My winking elbow jab would be: No, you pay $1000 to buy YOUR VERY OWN pain in the ass. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:46 am 

garry wrote:

You have me as customer #1. The Name is Tweezers, I do not go by my full moniker as Zircon-Encrusted Tweezers, but if you could fit that on my special printed CD I would be so-o-o-o- grateful! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:18 am 

I know that Gail is eccentric, but this scheme sounds insane!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:22 am 

this is really some fucked up shit

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:27 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
this is really some fucked up shit

Agreed. :|

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:44 am 

No Gary Titone comment yet? He probably supports this idea.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:56 am 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:

He has refinanced his *SPAM* to allow him to buy 50 licenses in order to demonstrate to the ZFT that he is pure of heart and strong of character.

Why the fuck is the common word beginning with an 'm' which is descriptive of a lending arrangement through which home ownership is achieved bleeped out as spam :roll: :roll: :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:08 am 

Does this mean there will be lots of different "versions" of this CD available? I presume the music will be the same, but will the packaging and presentation be different? For instance, what if Distributor A makes a bunch of crappy CD-R copies with no liner notes whilst Distributor B makes a top-quality silver-pressed digipak version with awesome liner notes? Will all copies be identical or are we going to have to seek out the best distributor?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:10 am 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
Does this mean there will be lots of different "versions" of this CD available? …?

Hard times for completists.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:21 am 

it's just a stupid idea all together.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:26 am 

tweezers wrote:
SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:

He has refinanced his *SPAM* to allow him to buy 50 licenses in order to demonstrate to the ZFT that he is pure of heart and strong of character.

:mrgreen:

jaypfunk wrote:
it's just a stupid idea all together.

Yup!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:33 am 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
Does this mean there will be lots of different "versions" of this CD available? I presume the music will be the same, but will the packaging and presentation be different? For instance, what if Distributor A makes a bunch of crappy CD-R copies with no liner notes whilst Distributor B makes a top-quality silver-pressed digipak version with awesome liner notes? Will all copies be identical or are we going to have to seek out the best distributor?

I was also thinking about this.
I want a vinyl version!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 46  Next