Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:27 pm 

Watch the skies.Then stare into the sun until your mind comes up with ideas like this and you begin to believe it's a good idea.

xxx

gz

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:42 pm 

Does anyone think this is a good idea? Anyone.... Anyone? Mr. Spikoley?

I keep thinking that, like Dweezil, the ZFT has it's own sense of time....

Just give it a spiffy package and release the fucking thing. It'll sell.

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

Post subject: re: roxy proxism
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:34 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
... They're might be a lot of fans out there with enough disposable income to buy it as a collector's item...
yea that was the 1st thing that came to mind, but not for a g-note ... can't think of more than 10 hard-core collectors worldwide that would lay out that much bread for a collectors item

vacuumcleaner wrote:
I was also thinking about this. I want a vinyl version!

if the license included vinyl distribution rights, breaking even is possible

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:41 pm 

Wow, this is surreal. Nobody in their right mind would fall for this crock of shit. At this point now I almost don't give a fuck if the movie ever gets released. If it does, awesome, if not oh well.
Just put the fucking soundtrack CD out which would easily outsell any of the other Vaulternative sets. I'd even gladly pay musictoday's ridiculous shipping fees, than get involved in some ZFT Ponzi scheme.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:51 pm 

Here is a quick and dirty break even analysis:

fixed cost: $1007
variable cost (using ZFT third party supplier): $11 per CD (including royalty)

Quantity that must be sold to break even at various prices:

$15 selling price per CD: 252 CDs must be sold to break even.
$25 selling price per CD: 72 CDs
$50 selling price per CD: 26 CDs
$75 selling price per CD: 16 CDs
$100 selling price per CD: 12 CDs

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:06 pm 

So because of the downloading/freeloading epidemic, ZFT may be losing money releasing stuff on CD :shock: . Then why would they bother wasting revenue on making a CD of "Understanding America", and with major distribution :?: Yeah, that one's flying off the shelves :roll: .
It's not a good CD for newbies, or diehards. Should have been a download-only release on I-tunes for the curious.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:04 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
So because of the downloading/freeloading epidemic, ZFT may be losing money releasing stuff on CD :shock:

Well, if you're referring to Norske's price breakdown - they obviously wouldn't be paying the royalty nor the $1,007 for starters.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:10 pm 

So, I give them $1000, pay them a $1.20 royalty and I can't sell digital downloads. But I do get to split royalties with 999 other people from all sales from Barfko Swill.

Sounds like a sweet deal.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 6:53 pm 

The Anarchist in me wants to buy this and sell copies at cost.
screw'em... :twisted:

Post subject: re: roxy by proxy
PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:56 pm 

norske wrote:
Here is a quick and dirty break even analysis:

fixed cost: $1007
variable cost (using ZFT third party supplier): $11 per CD (including royalty)

Quantity that must be sold to break even at various prices:
$15 selling price per CD: 252 CDs must be sold to break even.
$25 selling price per CD: 72 CDs
$50 selling price per CD: 26 CDs
$75 selling price per CD: 16 CDs
$100 selling price per CD: 12 CDs
$1008.20 selling price per CD: 1 CD must be sold to break even

thinman wrote:
mr. romberg wrote:
Does this mean there will be lots of different "versions" of this CD available? …?
Hard times for completists.
hmmmmmm, my re-mastering of the cd master will definately bring ruth more up front in the mix ... should sell a few xtra copies

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 9:39 pm 

Okay, let me get this straight. To sell this at the reasonable rate of $15 each, there will be 252,000 units out there in the world for sale, and I only break even. Plus, unless I misunderstand, Barfko Swill will have an 8 - 10 week headstart on me.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:40 pm 

I got this email today and my head has been buzzing all day, so I thought I'd come over and have a look to see what the forum thought and I tell ya what I was fucking ashamed at the shit reaction to this offer.
Most of the reaction has been myopic at best, judging by the reaction on this forum Gail will pull the pin and so she should. This is an opportunity to make the Movie but you people can't see that all you do demand that it comes out at no cost to you. This has never been done before. Could you put your heart and sole into a product that you know is worthy of the market, but here's the biggie can you make and sell Zappa and how would you do it? I'm currenlty getting quotes on CD production, and in contact with an independent cinema in my local area. Audience Participation?

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:33 pm 

Fingthish wrote:
Could you put your heart and sole into a product that you know is worthy of the market,

Heart and Sole? Oh, I get it. You're Fingthish. Sole like the fish.

Look, man. It doesn't cost a million dollars to release a performance that has already been recorded.

Fingthish wrote:
This is an opportunity to make the Movie

Yeah, right.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:17 am 

just joind forum .. first post ... be gentle

just trying to get my head around this proxy thingy (I know something similar was already posted but just need to clarify)

1. cost $1,007.00
2. You can give the CDs away as gifts! (according to https://getsome.zappa.com/roxy-by-proxy-the-license/ )

So could someone create kickstarter to collect the $1.007 (+kickstarter fees) and then give away all the CD's away as a gift (maybe just asking for Postage/Price for an empty CD)?
Those gift CD's could be just bare bones with no artwork etc (just to minimize the effort for the person to produce the CD's)...

If think it should be possible to find ~100 people (on this forum and the kickstarter community) that are willing to part with ~$10$ so the music of FZ can reach more people (for free + postage)...
You could think of variations to this idea.
eg.: a, let the person that starts the kickstarter make a little profit (as thank you for the effort)
b, limit the number of gift cd's (so it is not too much work for the kickstarter guy/girl)
c, offer rewards on kickstarter to get more funds
etc etc

As far I can see : we just need a single person with the license that can offer the CD cheap to everyone interessted in
If no-one can be found then the single license holder will be Barfko and we buy it from them at their usual price (not the worst option)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:24 am 

Fingthish wrote:
I tell ya what I was fucking ashamed at the shit reaction to this offer.

Don't get ashamed on my behalf, baby.

Fingthish wrote:
judging by the reaction on this forum Gail will pull the pin and so she should.

If that's your price for dudes expressing opinions on a forum, so be it. Go pull it. Pull it real good.

Fingthish wrote:
This is an opportunity to make the Movie but you people can't see that all you do demand that it comes out at no cost to you.

There it is guys, look out for it, it's called Reductio Ad Absurdum: you don't want to pay a grand for something - that must mean you want it for free! Nobody said that, twinkle tits.

Fingthish wrote:
This has never been done before.

Did the Pharaohs do something similar? :roll:

Fingthish wrote:
I'm currenlty getting quotes on CD production, and in contact with an independent cinema in my local area.

Enjoy that. Are you writing a blog on your endeavours? Best o' luck pretending to be in the music biz.

Last edited by IrishBoris on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:28 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
It's something like this: Image

Nice pic! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:09 am 

Fingthish wrote:
I got this email today and my head has been buzzing all day, so I thought I'd come over and have a look to see what the forum thought and I tell ya what I was fucking ashamed at the shit reaction to this offer.
Most of the reaction has been myopic at best, judging by the reaction on this forum Gail will pull the pin and so she should. This is an opportunity to make the Movie but you people can't see that all you do demand that it comes out at no cost to you. This has never been done before. Could you put your heart and sole into a product that you know is worthy of the market, but here's the biggie can you make and sell Zappa and how would you do it? I'm currenlty getting quotes on CD production, and in contact with an independent cinema in my local area. Audience Participation?

Dude, you are myopic. I am old and behind the curve, but I thought of subscription support. The younger folks know about Kickstarter, and that seems like a fine method. Look, I have tried to understand and be supportive of the ZFT. Why not make the contribution affordable and get all 5,000 or 10,000 of the hardcore to be a part of the effort to get out the ROXY movie?

I have spent many hours of my life since I was 15 in 1969 trying to prosetylize the Gospel of Frank. Two days ago I leant HR, GW and WJ to a jazz fan to prove to him that FZ made music which would appeal to him. I work to help spread the word all the fucking time and anyway I fucking can.

All respect to you, but don't insult me by saying I am not on the team. :(

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:37 am 

Fingthish wrote:

I'm sorry your panties are all bunched up, that can be uncomfortable.
Let me tell you why I think this is stupid, since you think I should be ashamed, I take this to be an open offer to clue you in.

What pisses me off about this is that it is the "promise" of the Roxy movie/CD. And quite honestly, the ZFT is long on promise and short of fulfillment.
I, like others here, were expecting a kind of kickerstarter campaign. That I could have gotten behind, and do you know why?
Because if you pledge for a specific package, be that $100, $150, $200, ect; you get that package. Or your money back. For my theoretical $1007, I get the promise that it will someday allow me to then fork over even more money for the movie/CD. So for my $1007 contribution, I get back jack (because lets face it, I have a full time job and a family so I could never re-coup my money); but not only that, we have to trust the ZFT when they say this money will get the movie completed. I've heard that story before, the ending sucks.
When ZPZ started this was going to be the preverbal cash cow that would get future products to us. Yet here they are again, asking for more money for something they promised over a decade ago.

So yeah, we all suck, and are myopic. Go forth and spend your investment dollars, and I wish you well with your profit margin. I hope you are then allowed, someday, to use those profits to buy the movie you already paid $1007 for.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:27 am 

Just saw the mail.

I like the ones better where I have been found out to be a brother of a rich Ghanesian king worth $660 bn. of which I receive 25%. There, I don't have to pay $1007 to get anything. I just have to provide my banking account details. Much better and safer way of making money!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:34 am 

"The Real Frank Zappa Roxy Announcement will be yours not later than Moon’s birthday this year. And it is thrilling."
- gz

Still waiting... I wonder what it'll be...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:02 am 

Ah, I guess myopia is in the eye of the beholder.... <wocka wocka>

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:28 am 

Well it finally happened, aside from Fishsticks everyone agrees on something, WTF!

:smoke:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:05 am 

I like fishsticks, especially the ones from Costco.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:20 am 

Plook wrote:
Well it finally happened, aside from Fishsticks everyone agrees on something, WTF!

:smoke:

Where is trendmonger when we actually need him, would love to hear his ass licking on this one
oh and cleon as well, those 2 are so alike i count them as one person.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:23 am 

It seems to me that if the same offer has been made but the price of buy- in would have been a less eye- watering $100 there would be quite a high level of taker worldwide with all the exclusivity and the ability to make a few bucks distributing copies. With 1,000 investors still required for the thing to happen this would still give the ZFT $100,000 to complete the Roxy film to an acceptable standard which is more than enough. Zappa and the ZFT had and have no aversion to banging product out irrespective of audiophile quality is it had/ has musical and/ or artistic merit so quite why it would cost more than $100,000 to put a reasonable quality home video out is beyond me.
I fear that there will be only a handfull of folk buying in, the Proxy product will be pulled and Gail will take her bat home for evermore.
Shame.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 46  Next