Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Aug 21, 2014 8:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:07 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the "Road Tapes" will be downloads only.

If so they better be super cheap, I wont pay full retail for some shitty mp3.

(all mp3 file are ultimately shitty by the way....)

I can't see a theatrical Roxy being longer then 2 hours. I can't see a theatrical Roxy though either.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:13 am 

ZutboF wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
ZutboF wrote:
can we read blue-ray dvd on a pc?

Only if you have a blu-ray drive for it.
ok ty
FYI a PS3 is as good as any bluray player, it is just a bit more noisy.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:06 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:

This (the above) is an absurd comment.

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 1:59 pm 

Ruz-El wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I hope I'm wrong, but I'm thinking the "Road Tapes" will be downloads only.

If so they better be super cheap, I wont pay full retail for some shitty mp3.

When have they EVER had cheap downloads?

On another note, why the hell do you have to be on some e-mail list to find out about new releases? I guess I am crazy to expect info about new releases to be posted on the official website. I guess I should be impressed they send the info by e-mail instead of snail mail.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 2:23 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I'm thinking the "Road Tapes" will be downloads only.

I have no problem with that at all. GIVE ME THE FUCKING SHOWS!!!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 4:42 pm 

Well, at least we're a little bit closer to the supposed release date... :roll:

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:45 pm 

Pardon the pun Disco Boy but I don't think our political question-at-hand in your sig file is quite so black-n-white. :roll:

Image Image

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:54 pm 

Okay, so let me get this straight, we get something on halloween, something before the election, Roxy something before December and then the movie in a year or so, 100 titles before the end of the year.

Is that everything?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:19 pm 

No...if the Mayan predictions are correct, we will have to survive the apocalypse without the Roxy Show... :smoke:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 6:31 pm 

Plook wrote:
No...if the Mayan predictions are correct, we will have to survive the apocalypse without the Roxy Show... :smoke:

After the apocalypse small bands of survivor mutants will gather around their campfires and reenact the Dummy Up routine whilst amusing the young ones with tales of the poodle dog Frunobulax.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:55 pm 

Any guesses on what she means by a Prequel - rehearsal tapes?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:00 pm 

KUIII wrote:
After the apocalypse small bands of survivor mutants will gather around their campfires and reenact the Dummy Up routine whilst amusing the young ones with tales of the poodle dog Frunobulax.

Bwahaha! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:18 am 

tweezers wrote:

It could be a sampler before the full blown soundtrack release.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:05 am 

A sampler would be a good tease, as long as it has onther than 'ROXY & Elsewhere' (I mean exactly as presented on the original LP) performances on it.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:30 am 

tweezers wrote:
A sampler would be a good tease, as long as it has onther than 'ROXY & Elsewhere' (I mean exactly as presented on the original LP) performances on it.

why tease us? we've been being teased about this since fucking 1987! 25 mother fucking years!!!

ENOUGH!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 4:53 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
tweezers wrote:

why tease us? we've been being teased about this since fucking 1987! 25 mother fucking years!!!

ENOUGH!!

jay, I am disappointed as well, I am grasping at straws to put a positive spin on the announcement, that's all.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 5:19 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
tweezers wrote:

ENOUGH!!

That's one long 'cock-tease'! We've got balls the size of that blueberry girl from "Willie Wonker"!!!

--------------------------------------------
"The Enigma Of David's Toe" by Vincent Cannata
http://www.amazon.com/The-Enigma-Davids ... 1479227579
"A wild ride of conspiracy theories, reincarnation, and occult weirdness..... you know, a comedy."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 6:48 am 

tweezers wrote:

I personally think it might be a De-quel, or more likely, a Re-quel. Will it be "Fresh Audio" or "Vibrant Video"? Maybe it will come with "Crisp Photo's" or "Delicious Screen Savers", and if we are really lucky, they coul thow in some "Tasty Wallpaper" and an "Organic E-Card". Can't wait!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:59 am 

If there were more record stores left I'd shoplift it.
At this point I'm not so sure if I wanna pay.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:54 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:

The best mp3 is far short from CD resolution, which is far short from lossless/analogue. So I stand by my mp3 comment. Sure, an mp3 is convenient for your phone and ear buds, but will never compare to even a CD if you want to listen to it on a proper system.

flac is a whole other story for digital music. The Beatles lossless flacs sound amazing compared to the remastered CDs which sound great in their own right.

Roxy prequel. I'm guessing more tracks from the shows. Then when the film is out there will be an official soundtrack capped at 70mins for a single CD release to traditional retail, then a project/object set featuring full shows and hopefully the original album based on the original analogue mix from '74. If they've been prick teasing the release this long, then they should deliver a shitload of goods.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:07 am 

Ruz-El wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
Ruz-El wrote:

The best mp3 is far short from CD resolution, which is far short from lossless/analogue. So I stand by my mp3 comment. Sure, an mp3 is convenient for your phone and ear buds, but will never compare to even a CD if you want to listen to it on a proper system.

flac is a whole other story for digital music. The Beatles lossless flacs sound amazing compared to the remastered CDs which sound great in their own right.

I hear what you are saying. I just think that "ultimately shitty" is too harsh. I'd also argue that you could be "tricked" into hearing a 320kbps mp3 and told it was FLAC and not know the difference. Shitty thing to do that to a person? Absolutely - but I stand by my point.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 2:28 pm 

Quote:
I hear what you are saying. I just think that "ultimately shitty" is too harsh. I'd also argue that you could be "tricked" into hearing a 320kbps mp3 and told it was FLAC and not know the difference. Shitty thing to do that to a person? Absolutely - but I stand by my point.

You could absolutely be tricked in to thinking a FLAC was an mp3, just because it's FLAC doesn't mean it sounds good. FLAC has the ability to translate true lossless music since it doesn't have a limit on compression like an mp3. That limit will always do exactly that- limit the compression of mp3 so that it is consitantly and ultimately shitty as far as quality is concerned.

Don't get me wrong, I have a ton of mp3 files, they are handy little things for digital players. They sound fine for what they are, but none of them hold up when played through a decent rig or compared to a CD. they are simply "good enough". The value of "good enough" is in the ears of the beholder. :lol:

I do look forward to see what this road tapes series is like. I never did buy the "Boxset 3" release of Beat The Boots on mp3. The reviews on amazon point to them being terrible. Any opinions?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:28 am 

I am certainly concerned that an mp3 file may not sound as good as a CD, but my greater concern is that (in my mind) files and hard drives are a fragile way of storing music. My music collection is very important to me, and even though I back up my PC on a regular basis, I feel more secure with hard copies of my albums (CDs).

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:51 am 

Uncle Z wrote:
... my greater concern is that (in my mind) files and hard drives are a fragile way of storing music. My music collection is very important to me, and even though I back up my PC on a regular basis, I feel more secure with hard copies of my albums (CDs).

I feel the same way about this. It is a worry. A modern day issue. We've come a long way from worrying about rickets.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 6:08 am 

http://www.crashplan.com

Check it out! I throw all of my audio library up into the cloud so I can rest easy. $3/mo. can get you unlimited data backup - how can you beat that? :mrgreen:

Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 46  Next