Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:32 pm 

Quote:
R B wrote:

I had applied/purchased the Roxy by proxy package and my card was not charged and haven't heard any news on the deal, please advise me as to the status of my purchase thank you RB

All previous orders were not charged. Not long agowe decided to go forwardwith the CDs and the licenses. We also updated the offer to include persons who are not us residents or possibly even U.S. citizens. This offer expires on 21 June 2013 - the Summer Solstice. If you order now your card will be charged and you will received a CD Master for Roxy By Proxy.

Thanks for your question Richard. Please check out What's New at zappa.com - dateline 7 June 2013.

The meaning is that everyone that already signed must sign again before 22 june, hope to not find my card charged 2000$

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 9:25 pm 

suckers...she won't divulge info on sales of posthumous releases, but expects you to invest in this? With no background on possible sales stats? Where is the media publicity to help?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:02 am 

Rumpus: So you’re not worried, then, about how many units it’s going to ship in this very interesting conceptual distribution.

Zappa: Well, I would like to ship 100,000 units to the people that pay $100,000 to distribute it. That’s my dream, that’s my goal. We’ll see how close I come to that, but no matter what, this record’s going out there.

The above quote is the most shocking to me. And not only because it doesn't make sense but also because I don't think Roxy by Proxy will have gross sales of more than $150,000. Considering this and that the standard issue will probably be priced at around $15, which is something almost all of us will opt for instead, they won't be able to sell more than 10,000 units. I don't know why she thinks selling 100,000 units is possible, unless the price is literally around $1.50 per disc...

"...I'm absolutely a Libertarian on MANY issues..." ~ Frank Zappa, Rochester, NY, March 11, 1988

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:03 am 

balint wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I read the whole blog and your dialogue with Moody and I understand his point.

My main point is that I consider an interview good and interesting, if it has new points, interesting questions, fine conversation. Now honestly: was there ANYTHING NEW in this interview? Was the role of Rick Moody here other than to hold the microphone for Mrs Zappa, who made some statements, again? Do you think he was prepared enough for this interview - when he did not notice that this "new idea" was brought to light around last september (!), and since then there were 3 modifications in the deadline (and we still dont know when the 74 minute CD will be released)? Does he have a "point" at all - not counting that he held the microphone, quite well?...

Someone should try and get in a real "conversation-situation" with Gail to bring her back to reality: the fans want to give her their money, they want releases - and good and sane policy, that one can count on.

He is a journalist who should make this story of interest for other than "us" who knows everything already. I think he did a good job. You cannot require that he should even know about Dance Me This.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:10 am 

Ringo wrote:
I read the interview the other day. Gail's potato continues to be baking for too long.

This 'her way or no way' has been and continues to be such a force for harm to the Legacy of Frank Zappa.
This roxy idea was a dumb idea as has been agreed by 99% of people who know about it. No seriously, its a stupid idea. Maybe might have worked 15 years ago but get real, its silly.

But check this out over at GZSEZ

Quote:
Gail,

thanks for reminding me of ROXY/PROXY.
I’m still willing to donate but not to distribute.
Do you provide any solution/suggestion
for people like me who want to help
moving the project forward financially but don’t find the
time to distribute any of the CD’s?
I’m willing to give away money/but don’t want to find
myself in a hassle with you paying money for audits / having to prove that
I did not sell anything or because my sellings did not meet your
expectations.
I hope you can understand my point of view.
Let me know what you think about it, if you like.
Have a nice summer!

best martin/hannover/germany

You can just hang the CDMaster on the wall or stick it in a drawer. There is no obligation on your part to distribute. But you can if you wish. Just remember that the word itself contains “Tribute.” We can accept that. This whole concept is based on Trust that FZ’s fans and only the real ones will do the right thing out of respect – and help us get the Roxy Movie finished.

Thank you.

gz

So here you have a fan saying "I WANT TO GIVE YOU MONEY" and she's throws it back in his face. WTF!
Like most of us, we don't have $1000! Maybe this guy can come up with $100. Give him a paypal address and tell him to send whatever amount he wants to. Reward him with a coupon code to use at zappa.com. But no, its her way or no way.

Use Kickstarter like everyone else. But no, it might good enough for everyone else but not the mighty Mrs. Zappa. Do me a favour. I really do not understand how its possible for her to be so vacant of common sense. The fans are the customers. You listen to your customers, you bend to your customers, you work with your customers, you please your customers and they come back for more. But Gail has driven so many people away. So many true hardcore fans have had enough of her bollocks. Its such a shame because Dweezil is a sound guy, he's smart when it comes to his father legacy but when the time comes to take over from Gail I fear they'll be nothing left.

Such a shame, a real shame. If only she would wake up and smell reality.

Who would agree with me that the smartest thing Gail could do right now is to abandon this idea, admit she got it wrong and move the project to kickstarter? Such a move wouldn't make her a laughing stock, it would gain her huge respect from the very people who can make this project happen!

And Gail, if you are reading this, understand that it brings me no pleasure to criticize and cause hurt to another human being. Indeed I'll probably regret writing this, I would much rather be writing praise for your actions and ideas. I think your choice of posthumous releases has been excellent and top marks to you for making sure of the quality but you really need to start listening and change your attitude. This is no way to continue this relationship with your customers and Franks fans, its really not. I'm being very serious. This continued battle can't be good for you personally and I'm sure I speak for the vast majority of fans who are fed up with it too. You love Frank and his music, I've absolutely no doubt of that but you need to work much much harder to understand what your customers want. You're job could be so much easier, you just have to listen more. Over and out.

I agree completely. As I read it, she is calling a potential contributor an idiot. That is not a clever style.

Well, the whole idea is a catastrophe, unless the point is to show that it is difficult to raise money for a project where you have very little information about its commercial potential. And the whole thing about showing fans how difficult her job is, well that is just childish. It's the good old: "I don't like this song", where the reply is "Well, can you do it better?". I can very well guess that her job is difficult, and that's why I don't do her job. I bet she would suck big time at my job, and what would that prove? That I shouldn't buy any more ZFT releases?

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 8:17 am 

I don't find Ms. Zappa's response rude at all.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:34 am 

HJ wrote:
balint wrote:
tweezers wrote:
I read the whole blog and your dialogue with Moody and I understand his point.

My main point is that I consider an interview good and interesting, if it has new points, interesting questions, fine conversation. Now honestly: was there ANYTHING NEW in this interview? Was the role of Rick Moody here other than to hold the microphone for Mrs Zappa, who made some statements, again? Do you think he was prepared enough for this interview - when he did not notice that this "new idea" was brought to light around last september (!), and since then there were 3 modifications in the deadline (and we still dont know when the 74 minute CD will be released)? Does he have a "point" at all - not counting that he held the microphone, quite well?...

Someone should try and get in a real "conversation-situation" with Gail to bring her back to reality: the fans want to give her their money, they want releases - and good and sane policy, that one can count on.

He is a journalist who should make this story of interest for other than "us" who knows everything already. I think he did a good job. You cannot require that he should even know about Dance Me This.

Actually, Rick Moody is a novelist who chose to interview someone he admires. He wasn't writing a hardcore journalistic exposé, nor would I expect him to. I have no problem with Moody at all.

Balint needs to lighten the fuck up (and so do I). :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:36 am 

Me neither. Excessively wordy and devoid of content, yes, but hardly rude or abusive. Kind of like her biggest fan, who models his writing on hers. In respone to:
brainpang wrote:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:48 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
Me neither. Excessively wordy and devoid of content, yes, but hardly rude or abusive. Kind of like her biggest fan, who models his writing on hers. In respone to:
brainpang wrote:

Good one Pope.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 8:28 pm 

She believes what she believes, I think some of us project too much on her. I buy most ZFT product, if she continues to release it, I'll buy it. As a matter of fact, if she releases a double CD of Frank conducting Arthur Dyer Tripp on percussion, I will pre-order that!

Notice that it is June 22 and ROXY BY PROXY is still up there...any bets on an extension of the final date! :shock:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:42 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Maybe its like Bruce and Batman, the same person... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:50 am 

June 24th - must be a double-secret extension date... :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:06 pm 

PS WE LOVE YOU GAIL

what to much?

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 10:39 pm 

I'm thinking of having my name changed by deed poll to Rip Van Winkle.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2013 4:32 am 

A friend of mine ordered the vinyl Freak Out from Amazon.
Yesterday, they sent him a notice saying it has been delayed until July 9.
I sent him an e-mail expressing my shock that a Zappa release missed it's announced shipping date.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:59 am 

After all this time, it would just be plain rude to be on schedule.

"Am I a fan, or a so-called fan?"

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:40 pm 

... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

( ... wake me up in 20 years time ... )

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:16 am 

>Notice that it is June 22 and ROXY BY PROXY is still up there...any bets on an extension of the final date!
must happen anytime soon then .. so exiting ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 4:49 am 

polydigm wrote:
          ... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz ...

( ... wake me up in 20 years time ... )

Ok poly, putting you in the freezer now, right next to Walt Disney's head. Night night.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:03 am 

I didn't get any laughs with my Rip Van Winkle joke so I thought I'd try a different angle. I even made a new smilie. Rip Van Winkle didn't actually die he just slept for 20 years so, thanks, but I'll give the freezer a miss. In Rip's case, a lot had changed when he awoke, but I feel in my case not much will.

You do know that Walt is actually dead, don't you?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:10 am 

Polydigm - I enjoyed your humor. I'm guilty of not taking the time to express that.

"PenguinInBondage likes this" :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:15 pm 

Cheers PIB.

... I must be sleepwalking ... 12 days and counting ... maybe I could make an exploding pumpkin smilie ...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 5:45 pm 

Poly, do you think we will ever know whether any money was raised by ROXY/PROXY.

I am sure that some were sold, maybe dozens...but FZ's fans always struck me as a small, self-involved cabal. Not likely to be selling mucho Zappa product to the general public.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:11 pm 

Excellent question - where will the statements of sales and profits be? Company portfolio biz? Sales and returns? How about putting the Roxy online for download? Welcome to the 21st century.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:12 pm 

BTW - will anyone under 55 buy this?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31 ... 46  Next