Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 46  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2013 8:29 pm 

johnnycat wrote:
BTW - will anyone under 55 buy this?

The $1,000 version or the $10-15 version?

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:47 am 

tweezers wrote:
Poly, do you think we will ever know whether any money was raised by ROXY/PROXY. I am sure that some were sold, maybe dozens...but FZ's fans always struck me as a small, self-involved cabal. Not likely to be selling mucho Zappa product to the general public.
I have no idea about the Roxy/Proxy thing. FZ sold quite well when he was alive. Maybe not like a pop star, but he had a significant number of fans. That must have dwindled now that he's not around to maintain it.

Part of the problem with Roxy is how long it's taken to arrive. I'm not saying this just for effect but I really don't care that much about it any more - certainly no where near enough to want to donate $1000 to the ZFT. As for ZFT albums in general, it's not people like me that they need to convince to buy them, I will anyway. There are some pretty strident opinions about how the ZFT handles the vault and publicity and so on, but I just don't think it's that clear cut. Contrary to some opinions about the validity of ZPZ, it will have gone a long way to creating new interest in FZ.

He had a presence in the world when he was alive that no-one can be expected to maintain in his stead, but the concerts being staged by various music institutions this year to honour the 20th anniversary of his passing show that he's still a force in the world.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:12 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
johnnycat wrote:

The $1,000 version or the $10-15 version?

The $10-$15 version they will get off Limewire or something like that. The $1,000 version? That is the $1,000 question :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:15 am 

johnnycat wrote:

I turn 50 this month, so no, LOL M I RITE.

But seriously, this whole thing just confuses me. Was there a clamor beforehand to distribute CD's of Frank's music?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:41 am 

Occasional clatter perhaps, but certainly not a clamor or din.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:53 am 

tweezers wrote:
The $10-$15 version they will get off Limewire or something like that. The $1,000 version? That is the $1,000 question :shock:

Limewire... yeah, I think that's been gone for at least 10 years now. :mrgreen:
No, that version would be "absolutely free". I was referring to the version that you would purchase from the guy that actually bought the $1k version and then legitimately distributed them. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:52 am 

Penguin, I thought Limewire was still around. Gosh I am old and decrepit.

There was some movie we were promised, Rocky correct, with FZ fighting Apollo Creed...ER, no Sylvester Stallone in Capt. Beefheart vs the Funk Brothers...it is all a blur... :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:59 am 

Haha - nice! We've been promised lots of things. :wink:

Image Image

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:40 am 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
Haha - nice! We've been promised lots of things. :wink:

I promise not to cum in your mouth.
The check is in the mail.
I have a headache... darling.
Live @ The Roxy is now playing @ a theater near you!!! :shock:

The four biggest lies told today. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 2:24 pm 

johnnycat wrote:

I will (buy the soundtrack). Thanks for making me feel young all of a sudden :-)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm 

HJ wrote:
johnnycat wrote:

I will (buy the soundtrack). Thanks for making me feel young all of a sudden :-)

Your ageless HJ! He missed me by a couple a years. I must be ancient then. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:32 pm 

Basing myself on a very speculative analysis that FZ's popularity mostly grew on the basis of his touring program, which by the time of the 88 tour was pretty massive, I believe it would be a reasonable guess that in 88, the majority of FZ fans were under 30 years of age. (Please note that 51% would constitute a majority). That puts the majority of preexisting FZ fans under the age of 55 now. Any new fans to FZ in the intervening period would surely be much more likely to be well under the age of 55 which increases the likelihood of the average FZ fan these days being under the age of 55.

Fans of FZ that stay the distance are generally likely to get most of his albums. I believe the younger ones are more likely to want to get a film of what they would not have been able to see live in Dec 73.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:58 pm 

polydigm wrote:
Basing myself on a very speculative analysis that FZ's popularity mostly grew on the basis of his touring program, which by the time of the 88 tour was pretty massive, I believe it would be a reasonable guess that in 88, the majority of FZ fans were under 30 years of age. (Please note that 51% would constitute a majority). That puts the majority of preexisting FZ fans under the age of 55 now. Any new fans to FZ in the intervening period would surely be much more likely to be well under the age of 55 which increases the likelihood of the average FZ fan these days being under the age of 55.

Fans of FZ that stay the distance are generally likely to get most of his albums. I believe the younger ones are more likely to want to get a film of what they would not have been able to see live in Dec 73.

True dat on the latter.
On the former, I remember sorta' being pissed that some of the front rows where taken by young teenage radio program winners. Yippee. Not. Who remembers Kruzin' around back then or now listening to some Zappa on the radio? Nada, zip. So, that and me being a ZappaFreak 'n all, I did resent them some. I'll admit it. I worked and drove miles for my tix and the show and they're "givaway's" from a station I don't get. Pleeease.... I "earned" my tickets and some of those winning youngsters were kids I turned on to Frank. Wouldn't give up a seat for me either, not even for just a picture/song or two would one switch to my not to shabby seats. Still it was a great show of course. Frank had a grip on 'em, they looked almost scared to be so close to him and NMB. Silly kids, I was like 20 something ya know? First Time I saw Robert "Bobby" Martin doin' Whippin' Post, I'm thinkin' 81-82 at the Bezerkeley Community Theater. Always a great show there. Look at Zappateers. Good recordings. NMB was just fantastic as FZ's front man/flute & sax and George Duke was aboard too. I've seen him there 3 times or so. Like I do with any Zappa/Mothers band. I see as many shows as I can in N. CA.. FZ usually played Sac and then Berkeley/SF bay area. So we/I got two shows or more on his touring years. Even more before with the MOI and a stand at The Fillmore or two. Then there's his Pepperland show in Vallejo... and San Carlos, Circle Star Theater...
I miss Frank.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:17 pm 

polydigm wrote:

during the 88 tour (of which i saw 2 shows) i was 29. an am now 44 and know of many Zappa fans my age and many below. Just bring out the damn film Gail before i am over 55 or even worse dead. Can i have dance me this before I die as well please?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:03 am 

mistrijah wrote:
during the 88 tour (of which i saw 2 shows) i was 29. an am now 44 ...
Wouldn't that make you around 54? Did you mean 19? Perhaps you should have a word with Mr Mydnyte about that beyond infinity thing ...

:mrgreen:

mistrijah wrote:
... and know of many Zappa fans my age and many below. Just bring out the damn film Gail before i am over 55 or even worse dead. Can i have dance me this before I die as well please?
I assume you mean waiting another 11 years would be bad, not necessarily being over 55. I'm 57 and still very much enjoying life.

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 am 

polydigm wrote:
I believe the younger ones are more likely to want to get a film of what they would not have been able to see live in Dec 73.

Damn skipy, Poly! I became a Zappafan in my late teens. During Frank's last tour in 1988, I was 7 years old. The ONLY time Frank played in my area, I was 3 years old. I'll take all the old film footage possible.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:22 am 

I was born in 1987, so I had pretty much 0% chance of seeing FZ live, unless my parents brought me to an '88 show, which they never would have, and I would not have remembered it anyway.

BUT..... I'd rather get the Roxy music over the video if it means getting it out faster and sooner.

Also, interesting note, seeing the '88 tour inspired some famous musicians, like Trey Anastasio (guitarist/singer for Phish) to get in high gear and write some crazy music and play around with their live show format. The band would not be what they became had it not been for what Frank Zappa did, especially in 1988.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, November 2010
Dance Me This and The Rage And The Fury should be out by 2012.

Gail Zappa, zappa.com, March 28, 2012
Within the year from now.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:44 am 

johnnycat wrote:

Well, I'm 30 now, and I don't believe, the ZFT will release it in the next 25 years, so I will be over 55 when I buy it! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:52 am 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
johnnycat wrote:

Well, I'm 30 now, and I don't believe, the ZFT will release it in the next 25 years, so I will be over 55 when I buy it! 8)

I wonder what will become of the ZFT once Gail's gone to be with FZ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 11:57 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

There are two possibilities: "one is paperwork, the other is nostalgia." - Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book, p. 203

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 12:49 pm 

Buckalos wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

There are two possibilities: "one is paperwork, the other is nostalgia." - Frank Zappa, The Real Frank Zappa Book, p. 203

Nice! :)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 1:03 pm 

Awesome quote! Less paperwork (Roxy/Proxy) and more nostalgia then! :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:26 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Buckalos wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Nice! :)

FZ product, the as-yet unreleased stuff anyway, will come out as long as the Dweeze is on this astral plane.

I post on here all the time, I guess I am jus a complainer. Whatever makes GZ happy, if I am alive, I will buy it.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:37 pm 

tweezers wrote:
.I post on here all the time, I guess I am jus a complainer. Whatever makes GZ happy, if I am alive, I will buy it.

...and so will I, so will I. Place Kazoo part here__ :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 08, 2013 2:54 am 

On the 7th of June:

... 13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1, 0, -1, -2, -3, -4 -5, -6, -7, -8, -9, -10, -11, -12, -13, -14, -15, -16 ...

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1131 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32 ... 46  Next