Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:47 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:45 am 

I've only ever heard the the original vinyl...So, I dunno.   ':-['<br><br>Someday I would like to here the vocal tracks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 7:00 am 

I think the added vocals and new drums suck... me loves the vinyl!!! Frank should have left SD alone along with alot of stuff but that's another whole rant.<br>JP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:59 am 

I've got both since a month ago, so now I can compare them. I'm not a Sleep Dirt lover, anyway I think that vocal parts aren't so bad. Thana's got a great voice and sounds pretty good but... I think that the composition isn't appropriate for a vocal interpretation... Some melhodic passages are too extreme... un-natural for vocals... of course not for an instrumental version. In those passages CD's version sounds too hazarded, too much forced... it is hesitant.<br><br>Ciao

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:31 am 

Sleep Dirt ,in its original from is one of my top 10 FZ albums. don't care for the tampered version anywhere near as much

PostPosted: Fri Apr 25, 2003 11:29 am 

Is the version without the overdubs available, and is their anyway besides the date that you can identify it?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:31 pm 

Great. I own Lather! I really wasn't sure if this might have been yet another mix! Kind of like  the sound of some of the tunes that ended up in Zappa in NY being mixed down a little differently.<br><br>Personally I also have the current edition of Sleep Dirt with vocals and wasn't sure if there was another edition floating around somewhere. :o

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 6:48 am 

I allways thought that the original SD did have vocals and it was changed by WB as they did not like them on it  due to its content? I`m not to sure of that but i think I read it somewhere. If i am Wrong I apologise in advance<br><br>MYXY<br>

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2003 6:24 am 

[quote author=Vincent link=board=albums;num=1051111703;start=0#0 date=04/23/03 at 08:28:23]So what is your position on this.  I haven't heard the original vinyl except for the Lather stuff but I like the vocal tracks a lot.  I heard many don't like the overdubbed vocals....[/quote]<br><br><br><br>Sleep Dirt, like many Catholic children, should have gone unmolested. It was perfect without vox.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 1:36 pm 

i like the vocals a lot, but i've never heard the vinyl. is anyone willing to send me mp3s of the instrumental versions of flambay, time is money, and spider of destiny? i'd be very thankful. i don't really have much in the way of mp3s to trade, since all the stuff i have is readily availible online. <br><br>my aim screenname is "eat a grape" and my email is setfiretothecouch@hotmail.com . <br><br>thank you.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 24, 2003 8:47 pm 

What come 1st?:<br>                          th vocal or th egg..?<br>  <br> This is one of those FZ 'anomolies'...<br>Could you put a vocal track on 20 Small Cigars ?...or Watermelon...?<br><br> But with Sofa,..it works just fine huh?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2003 9:07 pm 

clothes off when u dance..<br><br>                       with/without..vocal?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2003 6:42 pm 

i enjoy the instrumental version of "clothes off". <br>i also just recently aquired the vocal version cd of sleep dirt. <br>i've had the lp since it was released, allways among my favorite zappa records.   <br>so i say this:  goddam i'm glad i got some zappa i've never heard before.    this sounds pretty cool.   i like these vocals.   who is this chick singing???    this could grow on me...  <br><br>whats all the fuss???  <br><br>