Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
 Post subject: Re: Finer Moments
PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:23 pm 

Shipped from Amazon today!

On the official catalogue vs posthumous releases. Frank worked all the time. He had ideas and concepts all the time and did work on them. He did not have unlimited resources, so he relied on record companies. Look at all the trouble and revisions UM and WOIIFTM went through. He would have released a whole lot more if he could have afforded it or if someone else paid to release it. I eagerly await any and all releases and have been pleased with most of them (I even listened to Joe's Domage and Joe's XMasage a few times). He did want to release the material on EIHN and QUAD, he just didn't get to fully realize those projects.

I will say I only download the actual FZ tracks from the AANFRAas.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 4:36 pm 

Got it in the mail today. CD Universe rules, 2 days. Listened through once so far. Best "FZ-constructed" release since Lost Episodes. One has to wonder why this wasn't released on Ryko around the time of LE. Maybe Joe hadn't found it yet?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:06 pm 

First Road Tapes venue #1, now this?
Great, great stuff coming out of the vault.
I am already spinning this for the 5th time; lovin' it.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:26 am 

This is a great, great album!!! Some serious shit with the early MOI. Here and there in pristine sound as well. Very, very recommendable.

PS. And the cover is just great when you see it closer, and realize it is not a drawing. Would be great on vinyl in Large.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:52 am 

A release with the complete Ark concert would be really nice, wouldn't it? The solo from "A Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown" (one of Zappa's best to my ears) comes from there and I would love to listen to it in its original context.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:57 am 

I wonder what's on the discs themseves, I mean in terms of visuals/graphics & fonts stuff -- Hope it's not the front cover sh#t replicated? :| :)
And, above all, is the spine artwork any sexy? :wink:
For a little ceremony, I think I'll give the oilcloth thing a blunt little hole puncher job -- what's better with New Year's Eve upcoming than some brown confetti?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:32 am 

I know this may sound crazy, but I almost LIKE the fact that there's missing information about releases like this. It reminds me of the old days when you knew a band was putting out a new record and might know what it was called or maybe what it looked like, but not much else. You had to go to the store, buy it, bring it home and go over it word for word while listening...then do it all again.

Then again, maybe they're just lazy...

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:40 am 

tweezers wrote:
(I even listened to Joe's Domage and Joe's XMasage a few times).
these 2 albums reveal alot of interresting stuff about Frank & his time he did it. I love them very much, cuz i want understand the man.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:00 am 

pbuzby wrote:
The Subcutaneous Peril - alternate edit of material from Carnegie Hall

For those who are interested in where this material was culled from on Carnegie Hall:

The first 3:41 is from "A Pound For A Brown" and the rest is from "King Kong". A good amount of razor blade edits in this one.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:04 am 

Rne wrote:
A release with the complete Ark concert would be really nice, wouldn't it? The solo from "A Holiday in Berlin, Full Blown" (one of Zappa's best to my ears) comes from there and I would love to listen to it in its original context.

If it exists,fully, in the vault, put me down as a fuck yes vote to this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 5:06 am 

jk666 wrote:
I know this may sound crazy, but I almost LIKE the fact that there's missing information about releases like this. It reminds me of the old days when you knew a band was putting out a new record and might know what it was called or maybe what it looked like, but not much else. You had to go to the store, buy it, bring it home and go over it word for word while listening...then do it all again.

I dunno, bands used to offer what songs would be on albums all the time in interviews, it is called "promoting the product". The only difference between then and now is that before there was no outlet to listen to the album before buying like there is now. I have a lot of turds bought over the years based on one decent song on MTV or the radio.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:06 am 

dlokazip wrote:
pbuzby wrote:
The Subcutaneous Peril - alternate edit of material from Carnegie Hall

For those who are interested in where this material was culled from on Carnegie Hall:

The first 3:41 is from "A Pound For A Brown" and the rest is from "King Kong". A good amount of razor blade edits in this one.

The currently-down IINK site had a breakdown of the edits in this material as it appeared on the "JABFLA second LP." This unreleased second LP had Ian's sax solo in King Kong, which has been omitted from Finer Moments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:14 am 

jk666 wrote:

For me at least, being a Zappa fan in the late 80's and early 90's meant going to the record store once every week or two and making haste to the "Z" bins of the rock section and, on a few lucky days, finding a new YCDTOSA volume or reissue, or something like Best Band, sitting there. Occasionally a bit of preliminary info might surface in Down Beat, Musician or David Fricke's column in Rolling Stone (I subscribed to Society Pages a bit later), but otherwise, nothing.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:11 am 

pbuzby wrote:
jk666 wrote:

For me at least, being a Zappa fan in the late 80's and early 90's meant going to the record store once every week or two and making haste to the "Z" bins of the rock section and, on a few lucky days, finding a new YCDTOSA volume or reissue, or something like Best Band, sitting there. Occasionally a bit of preliminary info might surface in Down Beat, Musician or David Fricke's column in Rolling Stone (I subscribed to Society Pages a bit later), but otherwise, nothing.

It was even better in the days roughly before CDs. Many times albums appeared in the bins without any prior notice. I remember Studio Tan, Sleep Dirt and Orchestral Favourites being such surprises. I'll never forget the fresh special smell of those albums when they were brand new. And Zappa In New York was postponed and suddenly appeared then in 1978. Nobody knew that soon after JG Act 1 there would be a double album with Acts 2 & 3. YAWYI appearing very soon after TTR was another surprise without announcement. There was no internet and not many music papers. It is a lot more boring these days.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:13 am 

My biggest surprise was finding YCDTOSA 4 one day in summer 1991. With more than a year going by since the previous volume I wondered if it would ever appear.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:56 am 

Interesting observations guys. I hadn't really considered how my music purchasing had changed before reading that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:19 am 

Ah, those were the days indeed. When I started being a Zappa fan, a major CD chain was getting rid of its Zappa and so I found much in their Z section, but for the last 10 records I really had to scrounge. I remember getting a 1 euro price cut on Thing-Fish, because I finally stumbled on it at a CD fair and only had 16 euros on me, one measly euro too little. But the guy let me have it.
Good going, considering I haven't found any copy of TF since.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:43 am 

buffalo_voice wrote:
I wonder what's on the discs themseves, I mean in terms of visuals/graphics & fonts stuff -- Hope it's not the front cover sh#t replicated? :| :)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 am 

The cover is awesome. Look at is closely. Made out of linoleum. Quite cool! I think it is a very tasteful release.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:40 am 

Thank you many times for letting me know, doug, they're taking a while to arrive, and I have been too curious:

AND HOW UGLY THEY TURN OUT TO BE! :P

HJ wrote:
The cover is awesome. Look at is closely. Made out of linoleum. Quite cool!

Chances are good that finally you'll be overcoming this phase, HJ --
And Yes, I Have Noticed It's Not Pencil-On-Paper -- Awwhgh! Ommagoodness! :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:47 am 

Just don't take and play that CD in a car on a hot day it be flaking everywhere my bet.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 10:53 am 

I grew accustomed to the fact that there'll never be a ZFT release that looks like an ECM album, but this is sub-anything.
There's no way that this guy has seen the interior of an art school in his life, imo.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:57 pm 

Wow ! Best MOI live album since BWS ... and it's even better ! Great release.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:46 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
buffalo_voice wrote:

Too much moustache and I wish they hadn't stuck those nasty little numbers on the spine. SUNPYG has three of 'em! Other than that, I'm really looking forward to Finer Moments.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:52 pm 

pbuzby wrote:
My biggest surprise was finding YCDTOSA 4 one day in summer 1991. With more than a year going by since the previous volume I wondered if it would ever appear.

Well, in fact 1990 was a rare year (after 1977 and 1980) without any new FZ release. Thus Stage 4 was as likely to appear as anything.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 343 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next