Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:52 am 

Thought it was worth sharing courtesy of the Musicradar.com site.

(From Jeff Gold's upcoming book, 101 Essential Rock Records: The Golden Age Of Vinyl, From The Beatles To The Sex Pistols. Iggy Pop recalling his first exposure to FZ.)

"The first time I heard "Freak Out" by the Mothers of Invention was on headphones, smoking an early joint in my drug career, at the house of SRC, a Michigan band of the 60's. That night I kind of knew they were asking (Stooges guitarist) Ron (Asheton) to leave our group and join up with them, so I was hanging around to see what was going to happen. Rather than waste my time, I saw a copy of "Freak Out" and listened to it on the phones.

I thought it was very, very funny. I particularly loved "Help, I'm a Rock," "America Drinks and Goes Home," "Who Are The Brain Police" and the cameo of Suzie Creamcheese. I had already seen the Fugs live on stage, with Tuli Kupferberg changing costumes out of a large bag in a humorous way, so I was somewhat prepared. I liked the Mothers' conceptualism and humor, although the music didn't really do much for me. My own experiments were more influenced by Bob Ashley, Harry Partch, and Berlioz.
The first time I saw The Mothers I was opening for them; it was the second or third gig the Stooges had ever done, so I remembered us more than them. I think playing with them so early in our career pushed me to be weirder faster, and also to be stranger to look at, earlier than I would have been otherwise. That night I did my first stage dive. I knew the Mothers were on after us, and I didn't want people to forget about us. 

Years later I got to know Frank a little bit, and he was very decent to me. We went out for a burger once in Berlin, to a bright lit cheap and greasy joint, with David Bowie. That was pretty funny and unusual. Frank was kind of a wry person, and as he made clear in his film "200 Motels," he had a certain ambivalence about English rock stars. I went along with Frank later that night and kept him company for a while at the Hilton hotel, until his Berlin girlfriend showed up.
For no exact reason, I remember feeling that Frank was a very lonely cat. He was all alone, and the suite was so dark and cold. The girl who came over later was kind of a troubled type, but I think he enjoyed the company and that was about it. Earlier that night at his show, Frank played one of his incredibly long guitar solos while his hired lead guitarist, Adrian Belew, had to wait his turn. That was the moment when David basically hired Adrian away for his own next projects, in a conversation behind the PA stack. I thought that was pretty funny.
Earlier in my life, when the Stooges went to LA in 1970 to record "Fun House," we were staying at the Tropicana Motel. I walked up the hill to (legendary Hollywood coffee shop) Ben Franks to get something to eat, and there, sitting at the counter expressionless, with his hair and mustache and weird beard, was Frank Zappa. What a vision. I might as well have seen Aristotle. I was very impressed."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:58 am 

Frank had a girlfriend in Berlin? Did he cheat on Gail? :cry:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:13 am 

Must have been a very strange copy if it had "America Drinks and Goes Home" on it. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:23 am 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
Must have been a very strange copy if it had "America Drinks and Goes Home" on it. :mrgreen:

Yeah good observation. Obviously the drugs had more of an influence than he thought.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:03 am 

Flea wrote:

Have you not been paying attention to the records :-) Frank Loved groupies :-)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:39 am 

mistrijah wrote:
Flea wrote:

"I told Robert Planet, I told Elton John, I told all those big guys..."

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 10:25 am 

Very interesting read! Good that Iggy had survived his lifestyle to tell us this story today.
Val Valentin wrote:
... That night I did my first stage dive. I knew the Mothers were on after us, and I didn't want people to forget about us....

So one could say that the moi were indirectly involved in the invention of the stage diver? I always thougt that the 70s punks had invented it.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 am 

I like the imagination of entering a Frittenbude in Kreuzberg or somewhere in winter 1978 and bumping into FZ, DB and IP there.

Th.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2012 7:08 pm 

"Billy The Mountain" on Carnegie Hall mentions "Iggy Stooge" and "Pontiac, MI."...pretty cool!

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:17 am 

Thinman wrote:
I like the imagination of entering a Frittenbude in Kreuzberg or somewhere in winter 1978 and bumping into FZ, DB and IP there.

I would have died at age 2. I think he never bothered (or had the time) to visit East Berlin, as Fripp & Bowie did?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:24 am 

mistrijah wrote:
Flea wrote:

loved for making fun, yeah sure, why not. but loved in a way of cheating... I didn't know that :(

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:36 pm 

Silk Chariot wrote:
"Billy The Mountain" on Carnegie Hall mentions "Iggy Stooge" and "Pontiac, MI."...pretty cool!

This Michigander thinks its pretty cool too. 8)

There's nothing like a Catholic Girl
With her hand in the box
When she's on her knees

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:30 am 

Flea wrote:
mistrijah wrote:
Flea wrote:

loved for making fun, yeah sure, why not. but loved in a way of cheating... I didn't know that :(

You have not been paying attention. To the back corner of the classroom for you. :( :smurf: