Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:47 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:13 am 

... You're right, you're too heavy to be in this group ...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 31, 2013 11:51 am 

Waka/Jawaka

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:32 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I have been listening to TGW constantly recently. But does it count as serious? It has such a light hearted tone for the most part. The writing is beautiful though. Eat That Question could be my current favorite pieces of music.

I've listened to The Grand Wazoo a couple of times since you made this post. I think it is a serious work. Blessed Relief is absolutely beautiful in my opinion.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:07 pm 

Nuclear Prostate wrote:
I have been listening to TGW constantly recently. But does it count as serious?

Are you serious? There is no Zappa authority. He's dead. You should draw your own conclusions. I think it's obvious that The Grand Wazoo is serious. The definition of serious in this discussion is also debatable. I don't think Zappa was being serious when he used the term "serious music". Personally,I don't take CP3 (in it's entirety) nearly as seriously as I take even 3 minutes of Blessed Relief.

btw, the synclavier was used experimentally, too.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:21 pm 

Shrug. You could also say that somebody who made their living by music alone was being serious all the time.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:10 pm 

Good point Cal.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Nuclear Prostate wrote:
I have been listening to TGW constantly recently. But does it count as serious?

Are you serious? There is no Zappa authority. He's dead. You should draw your own conclusions. I think it's obvious that The Grand Wazoo is serious. The definition of serious in this discussion is also debatable.

I believe he is trying to draw his own conclusions. But, he is also asking for opinions and help from people who have more experience listening to Zappa. If I remember correctly, he was only 2 years old when Zappa died? You are correct that the definition of serious is also debatable. But judging from past threads that I've read, we may be better off avoiding that altogether. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:25 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
the definition of serious is also debatable. But judging from past threads that I've read, we may be better off avoiding that altogether. :mrgreen:

+ 1 8) :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:37 am 

Serious music is a vague, relative term. Also, who is making that determination?
From what I have read and heard, Frank was perfectionist. That is obvious by his listening to his output.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:18 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
he is also asking for opinions and help from people

That's what I gave him.

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
the definition of serious is also debatable. But judging from past threads that I've read, we may be better off avoiding that altogether. :mrgreen:

+ 1 8) :lol:

+1 more

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:33 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
Philostopher wrote:
he is also asking for opinions and help from people

That's what I gave him.

You most certainly did. I wasn't trying to suggest otherwise.

So, we are all in agreement that The Grand Wazoo is serious {undefined} music?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:47 pm 

Philostopher wrote:
So, we are all in agreement that The Grand Wazoo is serious {undefined} music?

Probably not, but that's why Zappa's great. There's never any true consensus.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:09 pm 

The Grand Wazoo is The Grand Wazoo. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:31 am 

And fuck you if you don't like his hat.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:09 am 

Calm down. I think it is a striking hat. I wish I had one to wear to work. All the other factory workers would think I was mighty grand. :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:30 am 

mg: do you rank your music In any kind of hierarchy? do you consider the rock and roll stuff inferior to the classical stuff?

fz: no.

mg: it's all the same?

fz: it's a different aspect of the same thing. I've got an imagination. so I earn a living by producing merchandisable manifestations of portions of my imagination.

mg: so you don't do one type of music in order to pay for another?

fz: no, I would probably do "baby take your teeth out" if nobody paid me. I mean, nobody did pay me. that particular song was concocted at a soundcheck at the place where this concert was taking place in frankfurt. we played at the alte opera in 1982, and that song came from that soundcheck.

dm: I'm still stuck on something you brought up about not ranking your compositions. if something like "n-lite" took ten years to do and "baby take your teeth out" took 20 minutes, why should they be the same? it seams to me you've put more Into one than the other, and therefore you might have an opinion of that effort yielding more than the 20-minute one.

fz: well, the function of both things is to entertain. the one that took ten years is probably way over budget in terms of how much bang for the buck you're going to get. the end of any piece is basically; you're decorating time. "baby take your teeth out" is a minute and ten seconds. okay, so it shouldn't have taken ten years. it should have taken much less, and it did, but if that minute and ten seconds amuses you, okay, fine. and then there are people who will never be able to sit through "n-lite" - it's 23 minutes long. they would rather have a minute and ten seconds of something that'll make them laugh. the point is that each piece, for what it is supposed to do, achieves a certain level of entertainment success.

dm: if you don't rank your pieces, what differentiation do you make between live work, synclavier work, and some of the work being done to fund this so called "more serious"music?

fz: well, if I had never done any rock and roll, I wouldn't have a synclavier. it's as simple as that. I mean, l earn my living by making rock and roll records. but I didn't set out to do rock and roll just so I could spend my sunset years frying my room with a high radiation source.

matt groening, don menn and fz, 1992. the mother of all interviews (part 2)

interviews and articles

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:49 pm 

Funny to see how the discussion finally went into some "yes or no" kind of cathegorising, instead of talking about (comparing, explaining, discussing, questioning, debating) music.

:-)

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 2:42 pm 

downer mydnyte wrote:
I think it's obvious that The Grand Wazoo is serious. The definition of serious in this discussion is also debatable. I don't think Zappa was being serious when he used the term "serious music". Personally,I don't take CP3 (in it's entirety) nearly as seriously as I take even 3 minutes of Blessed Relief.

Oh yeah I suppose. I was sort of asking if others felt it was serious due to tone AND due to musical ideals.The latter for me a definite. I didn't understand if the OP meant the term SERIOUS MUSIC to just be classical or whatever. Take for example an instrumental version of Greggary Peccary, would that be classed as serious? The BBC Proms think so!

I would rank his guitar solos as some of his most serious work too, the atmosphere, what they achieve, how I feel when I listen to them.

And then something like Filthy Habits from Sleep Dirt/Lather. That to me sounds like pure heavy, lamenting seriousness. ;)

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:35 am 

I do think that even Zapps himself distinguished between pieces which he considered to be for "mass" consumption and the projects which he knew had very little commercial potential and that the latter could be described as "serious".
Can pieces of music which Zappa himself described as "stupid" be "serious" e.g. Dinah Moe Humm?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 5:17 am 

With Dinah Mo Hum, if you put the puerile plot of the story aside, it is a very well told story. Even in that song there are too many chords for most songwriters. It's actually a fairly rich combination of riffs. He had a way of making it sound simple when it really wasn't. If you analyse the harmonic and melodic ideas in DMH and how they flow together they may not be individually too deep but the overall work is quite a piece of architecture.

I think he called it stupid in frustration out of people constantly asking him to play it for it's bawdy appeal rather than the way he must have originally felt about it himself. But he was a walking contradiction. He complained about that side of things at the same time as encouraging it.

Like Cal said above, he worked at his music all the time - he had a pretty damn serious dedication towards everything he produced. Dissecting his work and trying to categorise bits and pieces into serious and not serious and so on is missing the point. Frank Zappa was a serious composer full stop.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:24 am 

An interesting argument that I can follow. Thank you.
One caveat however - doesn't that really make this entire thread redundant? Aren't we really discussing Zappa's best music (again)?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 am 

The thread title has the word best in it. If the question was what is your favourite orchestral/classical ensemble work, then yes, it's been done before. But, as has been pointed out many times: FZ fans like to talk about FZ, so why not?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 am 

Of course, you're right and I'm being picky.

On a side note, it's my impression that, in his earlier releases, Zappa tended to mix his "classical"/orchestral compositions with rock/country/jazz compositions more. After Läther, he generally seems to have imposed a stricter division , so that rather than mixing the "popular" with the "classical", he would release e.g. the LSO album, SUAPYG, TOU etc. I wonder what led him to make this decision?
I actually prefer a release like 200 Motels (even though it sounds like they're playing in a soggy toilet roll), where, for instance, "Mystery Roach" is followed by "Dance of the Rock & Roll Interviewers". But perhaps that's just my (woefully uninformed) taste.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:15 pm 

Caputh wrote:
But perhaps that's just my (woefully uninformed) taste.

Yours and Zappa's. Mine, too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 am 

Check out these discussions if you're interested in Zappa's scored compositions ("serious music") --

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=23695

http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=27563

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 117 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next