Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:31 am 

question - I had the LP Pic Disk back in the 80s. I haven't heard it in years - was that taken from the (then) VHS tape (later DVD) as well the same as this release?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 6:56 am 

johnnycat wrote:
question - I had the LP Pic Disk back in the 80s. I haven't heard it in years - was that taken from the (then) VHS tape (later DVD) as well the same as this release?

pic disc is essentially the same as the CD

and a side note: the end solo on Punky's Whips is waaaaaaaaaay different than in the movie as well.

Last edited by jaypfunk on Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:17 am 

jaypfunk wrote:
johnnycat wrote:

pic disc is essentially the same as the CD, and the same as the real movie soundtrack

and a side note: the end solo on Punky's Whips is waaaaaaaaaay different than in the movie as well.

Good point jay, I haven't listeneed to both back to back in years, but that alone makes the pic disc (I have the LP) or the CD worth owning in addition to the movie.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 7:58 am 

If I recall right, somewhere in that Black Page Jones Crusher Broken Hearts Punky's medley the movie edits from the October 31 show to one of the shows on October 29, while the soundtrack album uses Punky's from October 31. Or something like that.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 8:46 am 

Ar least they didn't overdub it with Gail's grandchildren.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:00 am 

My excitement has waned as I too thought it was the full concert and not just the audio. the talking bits where a bit of a drag in the film, I can't imagine listening to them sans video. This will be a pass for me.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:06 am 

I agree with everyone else. Would have loved the complete show. But not interested in a soundtrack of the DVD. I don't know ... at times, makes me wonder where ZFT heads are at.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:07 am 

I am a genius. I came here to see what my fellow FZ pals were thinking about this release, before buying it. Now I don't need to bother. Thanks guys! :D

Everytime we picked a booger we'd flip it on this one winduh. Every night we'd contribute, 2, 3, 4 boogers. We had to use a putty knife, man, to get them damn things off the winduh. There was some goober ones that weren't even hard...

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:17 am 

dlokazip wrote:
Looks like most of us are on the same page.

Some people have chosen to go to page 2. Just remember: we're all the same, no matter the page.

(Crap, now I'm bi-pageal.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:33 am 

I hope they don't release any more download-only albums. I have no interest in downloads. Maybe this will come out on CD down the line, like Mothermania. But if not, I'm plenty happy with just watching the DVD.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:37 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
dlokazip wrote:
Looks like most of us are on the same page.

Some people have chosen to go to page 2. Just remember: we're all the same, no matter the page.

(Crap, now I'm bi-pageal.)

Cal, we always knew there was more than one of you LOL

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:51 am 

Mr. Romberg wrote:
I hope they don't release any more download-only albums. I have no interest in downloads. Maybe this will come out on CD down the line, like Mothermania. But if not, I'm plenty happy with just watching the DVD.

Well said i won't buy a music download as long as i got a hole in my asshole it's a rip off only a fool would fall for even is price is a little cheaper,they say Blu-ray is better than HD no it ain't just blue-ray they don't stream(download) and even then the only difference is sound mostly even if not all the diffrence,what i can't make out is and not sure if there is a diffrence in when downloading a game like GTA is there a diffrence in the music obvious the picture can be improved with Graphic cards though what about the sound is there a difference if not it got too be a rip off.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:35 am 

cleon wrote:
Mr. Romberg wrote:

Well said i won't buy a music download as long as i got a hole in my asshole it's a rip off only a fool would fall for even is price is a little cheaper,they say Blu-ray is better than HD no it ain't just blue-ray they don't stream(download) and even then the only difference is sound mostly even if not all the diffrence,what i can't make out is and not sure if there is a diffrence in when downloading a game like GTA is there a diffrence in the music obvious the picture can be improved with Graphic cards though what about the sound is there a difference if not it got too be a rip off.

Take a moment to breath, it's exhausting trying to read.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:43 am 

Better than your spam 8)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:02 pm 

$30 for a digital download? You must be kidding me. What this is is a rip of the Baby Snakes DVD, including the dialogue portions. This is something all of us could do on our own and there is nothing new. When I read this, I got excited, because I thought we were getting a complete show from the Palladium, 1977 Halloween shows. What a ripoff.

Last edited by zomby'sprog on Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:07 pm 

I wonder if there is such a fear of copyright infringement and such a lack of understanding of what is possible and what the average person does to get music that the soundtrack to a movie seems like a great deal.

I am not the sharpest pencil in the box, technology-wise, but I have torrent apps and converter apps and if I don't understand how to do these things, I know some twentysomethings, and they take care of it for me -- sheesh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:14 pm 

To say it clear: This offer is absolutely ridiculous and nobody with a halfway clear mind would buy this.

Th.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 12:16 pm 

Sounds like this crisis is going everywhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 1:37 pm 

"This is Official Release #95"

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:11 pm 

It's official release #95. So I bought it. I gotta have all the official releases. I just can't help myself.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:39 pm 

Rene wrote:
It's official release #95. So I bought it. I gotta have all the official releases. I just can't help myself.

I guess I'll rip my own copy of "Official release #95" from the DVD I already purchased. :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 2:46 pm 

Got it already on DVD,rip a cd form it and I save whatever they're asking.No sale here. (and no Matilda!wtf!) :P
Did anyone else think it strange that Ahmet is using Zappa.com for pushing some swami's Cosmic Debri on the Zappa forumers? The big Om.They did this shit in the '70's with TM.Didn't do anything for me then.It's like this purchase,I got it already! Enough.I expect respite from the guru's of the land on the zappa.com forum.
I wonder what his new name will be.Yogi Ananda Ahmet Baba Boom? :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:42 pm 

guess I´ll save my €29,99! or is there something in the digital booklet worth the money... :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:44 pm 

My only guess is they figure the smartphone generation would be into this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2012 4:51 pm 

For the ignorant amongst us, would anyone care to explain the necessary process to extract audio from a legally bought dvd.

I would appreciate it.

Cheers.