Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:07 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:36 am 

Of course I`ve got it. 500$ is a lot,- but I`ll never sell one of my 450 FZ albums included boots. Music is music ??? Since 1973 I`ve collected FZ albums. Will never sell these juwels from FZ.<br><br>I`ll bought 3 of the original album with Punkys Whips, one for me and two for my friends and payed about 6$ back in 1978. <br><br>Why don`t you try to catch one of those Japanese  Läther albums in vinyl instead. It was for sale some years ago, and was pressed in 1380 x. A much better choice.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 4:21 am 

If anyone cares to offer me $500 for my copy then, come on down. You can pick it up here in the UK at collectors fairs for about $60-$80. There seem to be quite a few on the market and the price has dropped a fair bit since the renastered cd with the 'missing' tracks reinstated was released.<br>I am interested in the Japanese Lather set though, can anyone actually confirm that it exists, I have never seen a copy and nobody I know has either.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 6:44 am 

A tricky question - there are several variations of the vinyl which contains "Punky's Whips".  None are really worth $500, although I've seen some pretty unconscionable shit happen at eBay, so ya never know until ya try.<br><br>I have a copy of the German 2LP which lists PW on the back cover and inner gatefold, but the records themselves are the Warner Brothers resequence which omits PW. :(<br><br>More info:<br>http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/vinylvscds/ziny.html

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 12:56 am 

It was a question about the japanese Läther album who exist in beetween 1360 - 1380 wordwide. It contains one bonus LP and I`ll bougt it new for about 150$ from www.gandsmusic.com who only received 20 copies at that time. More information about the album you`ll find here. The cover is the same as on the cd. http://w1.858.telia.com/~u85821131/viny ... html#japan <br>Japanese 5-LP box<br>Whereas in Europe and America, Läther was only released on CD, it was released in Japan on both CD and vinyl. One infamous Japanese advertiser called the vinyl box "the complete Läther sessions", thereby starting the rumour that it had some extra material on it which was not on the CD. This is not true, however. From Gondaira Takeo:<br>There is NOT any new/other source. The differences are the liner notes. 2 Japanese add the liner notes & remove FZ pictures (without "NIXON poster" shot). The cutting level is low.<br>Side 1: Regyptian Strut - For the Young Sophisticate<br>Side 2: Tryin' to Grow a Chin - The Legend of the Illinois Enema Bandit<br>Side 3: Lemme Take You to the Beach - RDNZL<br>Side 4: Honey, Don't You Want a Man Like Me? - Punky's Whips<br>Side 5: Flambé - The Purple Lagoon<br>Side 6: Pedro's Dowry - Duke of Orchestral Prunes<br>Side 7: Filthy Habits - The Ocean Is the Ultimate Solution<br>Side 8: The Adventures of Greggery Peccary<br>Side 9: Regyptian Strut (1993) - Time Is Money<br>Side10: [Empty]<br>From Mikael Agardsson:<br>The Japanese issue also includes printed lyrics (in English) to all songs (which the CD version hasn't). The audio quality is very good, quite on par with the CD. The high end is somewhat sharper and the bass is deeper and more detailed on the vinyl.<br>Additional Informants<br>§      Toshikazu Okada <br>§      Mikael Agardsson <br><br>

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2002 2:18 pm 

I have the Japanese Lather as well.  Don't know about the contents, as I've never opened it.  Picked it up for $ 40 from a friend who used to work for Ryko.  :)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 1:16 pm 

I bought a strange version of FZ in NY in London in '77. The back side of the album lists "Punky's Whips", but on the two vinyls there are NOTHING! So for quite some years I was puzzled about this track listing, which did not correspond to the record!! (But, hey, I loved the other music, even though I was annoyed that some tunes were missing!!!!!!)<br><br>BTW: The mix of the NY version of "Punky´s Whips" is very different from the "NY alone version CD" and Läther. On the former Frank's guitar is cranked up wayyyy tooo much   (making the horn section hard to hear). The balance is much better on the Läther parts......

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2002 8:25 pm 

I know. Actually, Frank apparently had gotten permission from Frank to release the song, but the legal guys at WB didn't dare to release it.....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 8:40 pm 

[quote author=josh link=board=albums&num=1030102399&start=0#0 date=08/23/02 at 03:33:18]<br> I believe Punky's Whips is on this particular release, which was only availiable in the blink of an eye! It's actually worth 500$ US!!!<br>[/quote]<br><br>I bought In New York very soon after it's release, but Punky's Whips is not on my copy. I do have the picture disc of Baby Snakes, which has a version of Punky's Whips on it.<br><br>Oh Punky! Isn't it romantic?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:35 pm 

my friend has this original "in new york" album with terry bozzio's signature on it. <br><br>and i do have "lather" box-set. i was working in record store when i got the record. scandinavian stock managed only to get 3 copies of box-set. i guess two of them was sold to sweden and i think i might be the only one who has it in finland.  :)<br><br>but how about this Anders_Gonalt : do you have your record numbered?? there's a card in my copy, which shows number 141 and all other text is japanese. just wondered, does all albums have this same card or do you have different numbers on it??

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2003 8:42 am 

I got it for 40 Euro...

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2003 12:42 pm 

I bought it when it was released in the USA in the late 1970s.  It does not have PW on it.  <br><br>From these posts, however, it sounds as if a European version did have it.<br><br>VCF

Revel in your otherness. MK

STILL pissed at Tipper. VCF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 4:23 pm 

I have it too.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2003 9:29 pm 
Banned

[font=Smack LET]Sorry to burst your bubbles, folks, but "Läther"has a completley different preformance of "Punky's Whips." than on the "In New York" vinyl and cd.[/font]

Don't treat me, baby, like your
Any old Alley Cat
Alley Cat, Alley Cat

Jimmie D Fan