Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:03 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:06 am 

Unsigned E-mail wrote:
There really isn't a cordial way of not minding your own business and answering for anyone other than myself is not my business.

There is, however, cordial or not, a way of clearly answering a question by not answering it. :P

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:29 am 

I have to agree with Gail that this was not a cordial question despite the passive-aggressive assertion to the contrary.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:12 am 

I just wanted to know if the new TMR is approved by the estate of the artist. If that is uncordial, so be it. But I sure won't buy this thing until I know. As a consumer I think it's fair to ask if I'm offered a legitimate product or a ripoff a la the Warner Bros/Panter albums. To issue TMR without Jan's consent would put Gail's defense of "composer's intent" and "grand rights" in a strange light. When she can't answer a straight question about that, my feeling remains iffy, indeed.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 26, 2013 9:58 pm 

PostPosted: Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:11 am 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 6:10 am 

DC Boogie wrote:
I just wanted to know if the new TMR is approved by the estate of the artist. If that is uncordial, so be it. But I sure won't buy this thing until I know. As a consumer I think it's fair to ask if I'm offered a legitimate product or a ripoff a la the Warner Bros/Panter albums. To issue TMR without Jan's consent would put Gail's defense of "composer's intent" and "grand rights" in a strange light. When she can't answer a straight question about that, my feeling remains iffy, indeed.

Be Thankful! With a catalog in such disarray, where questionable releases abound, I think your concern is moot.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 8:32 am 

brainpang wrote:
DC Boogie wrote:

Be Thankful! With a catalog in such disarray, where questionable releases abound, I think your concern is moot.

I'm so uncordial, I ain't got no heart to be thankful with :wink:

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 9:22 am 

In the Vault footage on the Classic Albums Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation DVD, Joe Travers pulls out the original tapes of Trout Mask Replica.

ZFT are the owners of those tapes. Any re-release on their part is totally legitimate. They don't need Jan's consent because Jan doesn't own the masters.

However, Jan should get royalties from the music publishing, but I don't know if Beefheart had retained his publishing rights over the years. Does anyone know if Beefheart ever had to sign away or sell his publishing, or was he able to hang onto it throughout his career?

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 10:21 am 

FalseDichotomy wrote:
In the Vault footage on the Classic Albums Apostrophe/Overnite Sensation DVD, Joe Travers pulls out the original tapes of Trout Mask Replica.

ZFT are the owners of those tapes. Any re-release on their part is totally legitimate. They don't need Jan's consent because Jan doesn't own the masters.

However, Jan should get royalties from the music publishing, but I don't know if Beefheart had retained his publishing rights over the years. Does anyone know if Beefheart ever had to sign away or sell his publishing, or was he able to hang onto it throughout his career?

Well from what I've gathered about Beefheart is that he'd sign anything put in front of him. Who knows what he signed away. Could be the rights to all CB's music are in the hands of someone other than his "family" or The Magic Band at this point. Is there a way to look up to see if anyone's holding the copyrights? That would be the best bet of finding what belongs to who, I'd think.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:38 pm 

slime.oofytv.set wrote:

God, how I hate photoshop. I long for the days when something actually had to happen for it to happen.

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 5:22 pm 

KUIII wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:

God, how I hate photoshop. I long for the days when something actually had to happen for it to happen.

Is that a real trout mask or a Sears trout mask? :? :twisted:

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:46 am 

Got my shipping notice from Music Today yesterday. Has anyone received theirs yet?

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:41 am 

WOO HOO Confirmation e mail received today

Order Number: 62070068
Item Code: ZPCD165
Description: TROUT MASK REPLICA CD - CAPTAIN BEEFHEART & HIS MAGIC BAND
Produced by FRANK ZAPPA
Qty Ordered: 1
Qty Shipped: 1

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 3:29 am 

Yep, it sounds just fantastic. Great job Joe & ZFT !! Thank you for the rescue!

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2013 9:51 am 

Val Valentin wrote:
Got my shipping notice from Music Today yesterday. Has anyone received theirs yet?

Arrived today.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 6:48 am 

pics,please.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:49 am 

vince_de_wild wrote:
pics,please.

plus track list and a few pages of lyrics.

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2013 7:53 am 

So will this be available on Amazon?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 6:13 am 

But does it sound noticeably better?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:05 am 

dukeoprunz wrote:
But does it sound noticeably better?

Are there extra/alternative tracks?

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 9:54 am 

Shrewnews wrote:
Unsigned E-mail wrote:
There really isn't a cordial way of not minding your own business and answering for anyone other than myself is not my business.

There is, however, cordial or not, a way of clearly answering a question by not answering it. :P

I would say that answering like she did is a bit strange. It only adds to speculation. She should just have ignored it, as the question touches on business sides that she can keep to herself if she wants (if Jan has a problem, she should come forward).

"Non-answers" are the worst.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:46 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

No.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:52 am 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

No.

It didn't look like it. Thanx for da pix mon! 8)

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2013 6:05 pm 

Dukeoprunz asked if it's noticeably better soundwise. Everything is better vs the original on all tracks except Frownland and Hair Pie Bake 2. Per FZT Troutmask Replica notes the masters used for the ZFT edition are the safety copies of the original masters that FZ had Dick Kunc make after the album was finished. The safety copies are in better shape than the Warner copies, but the safety copies are missing the two tracks above, thus those two tracks are from the damaged Warner copies. I'm keeping my originals for collector's sake, but the new FZT edition is way superior.

I hope they can reissue Lick My Decals Off, Baby. I don't know if it's possible since it was released by FZ's Straight Records Label, but produced by Beefheart. I have the Enigma Retro CD remaster from way back that sounds pretty good.

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2013 7:39 am 

crh3e wrote:
Dukeoprunz asked if it's noticeably better soundwise. Everything is better vs the original on all tracks except Frownland and Hair Pie Bake 2. Per FZT Troutmask Replica notes the masters used for the ZFT edition are the safety copies of the original masters that FZ had Dick Kunc make after the album was finished. The safety copies are in better shape than the Warner copies, but the safety copies are missing the two tracks above, thus those two tracks are from the damaged Warner copies. I'm keeping my originals for collector's sake, but the new FZT edition is way superior.

I hope they can reissue Lick My Decals Off, Baby. I don't know if it's possible since it was released by FZ's Straight Records Label, but produced by Beefheart. I have the Enigma Retro CD remaster from way back that sounds pretty good.

I wouldn't know for sure either, but they did get the great Bat Chain Puller out which Beefheart produced himself as well. The impossible to find cd still sounds good to me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next