Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:27 pm 

Location: Centerville - a real nice place to raise your kids up
To those brothers and sisters that know more than me: why has it not happened....?

Well, why has it not happened...?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:23 pm 

as far as i know the Zappas don't own the rights of 200 Motels. casually grey market releases of the movie are offered as DVD on ebay. the album was released officially as double CD by Ryko. maybe this will never happen again, only god, gail and the actual right holder will know...
http://www.lukpac.org/~handmade/patio/vinylvscds/200motels.html

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:37 pm 

I'm guessing the original question is about why the 200 Motels CD has not been rereleased on UME.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:53 pm 

The answer remains the same: the Zappas don't own the right to release it. I have once read an interview with a guy who was involved in the release of the beat-the-boots series. He also gave some interesting insights in the rerelease of 200M by ryko. Don't know his name or where to find the interview, maybe one of the real FZ scholastics can help. I just remember that he didn't speak very friendly about Gails role in the rerelease of 200M.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:08 pm 

ursinator wrote:
... I have once read an interview with a guy who was involved in the release of the beat-the-boots series. ...
Here it is: http://www.arf.ru/Misc/tb_int.html

VS: And as a side note. Do you think, Ryko is really happy now that their outdone Rhino in purchasing the whole Zappa catalog? I mean it isn't an easy business selling stuff like "Frank Zappa's 200 Motels" after all.

TB: It is to the contrary concerning Ryko's happiness. Purchasing the Zappa catalogue turned out to be the nightmare from hell for Ryko. Not only did they provide Gail with twenty million dollars in one lump sum, but they gave her approval over everything. Don Rose, the owner of Ryko at the time was a huge Zappa fan and bent over backwards to placate her every whim, which was rarely reasonable. Not only were the final sales figures disappointing, but it put the crew at Ryko through much agony and ultimately cost Don ownership of his company when he was forced to bring in partners to pay for the debacle. They made a Herculean effort to obtain the rights to "200 Motels" (the only FZ title of which the rights did not remain with him), because it was at the top of the fans want list, and after two years is had still barely sold ten thousand copies, world wide. A tragedy. And how much of an effort did Gail put forth to reclaim the rights to one her late husbands seminal albums? Zip, zero and none.