Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tinseltown Rebellion
PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 1:26 am 

back to the album then, huh? ;D<br>Just relistened to TR two days ago... great! I like Harris` "High vocal trumpet" on Pick Me and the title track... <br>I speculate: Frank was working on the SUNPYG trilogy and discovered great performances of older songs on those tapes from 79/80. So he took some new and old ones and there we go: TR! Or it was exactly the other way around, editing TR he couldn&acute;t make up his mind about which solos to switch and cut the incredible tripple CD... ???<br><br>By the way: there`s a quote somewhere in a book by Miles where Frank said somthing like: "This is GOOD STUFF! It`s not punk, it`s not new wave, or any of thoes new trends you might be after at the moment, but you should check it out!" I did and like it a lot!  <br>I also read that Frank was quite disappointed on the sales of TR (and YAWYI). They both sold less in stoers then SUNPYG via mail order.(?)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 6:17 pm 

Is it true that there is a 1998 remastering that is much better than the Ryko 1995?<br><br>Also the same for YAWYI?<br><br>Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:57 am 

Does anything on The Blue Light make sence?  I get some of it, but whats whith the opening lyrics? " Your Epos, Your Pathos, Your Porthos, Your Aromos?  Can anyone explain these lyrics?<br><br>Its about time this album got some recognition.  I love this album.  Are there different versions of Blue Light on any other albums?  <br><br>My favorite FZ songs are are the ones that startle me with their originality.  Not like FZ ever wrote a song that wasn't original, but even for Frank that song is weird.  <br><br>Other titles that made me say " This is why I love Zappa" ......Purple Lagoon,Lemme take you to the beach, and all of Waka\jawaka and The Grand Wazoo.  They just suprised my so much when I heard them for the first time.<br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:05 am 

[quote author=Butch link=board=albums;num=1036354009;start=45#46 date=12/09/02 at 04:57:31]Does anything on The Blue Light make sence?  I get some of it, but whats whith the opening lyrics? " Your Epos, Your Pathos, Your Porthos, Your Aromos?  Can anyone explain these lyrics?<br><br>[/quote]<br><br>To me it sounds like a description of a trendy "cute person" type asshole who is riding around LA to find the "hip" things to do. Simple but complex the way FZ put is it to us in the lyrics.<br>Love it!!!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:24 pm 

[quote author=Butch link=board=albums;num=1036354009;start=45#46 date=12/09/02 at 04:57:31]Does anything on The Blue Light make sence?  I get some of it, but whats whith the opening lyrics? " Your Epos, Your Pathos, Your Porthos, Your Aromos?  Can anyone explain these lyrics?<br>[/quote]<br><br><br>Porthos and Aramis are two of the Three Musketeers, or Muskehounds depending on your point of reference. (Athos being the third). Pathos can be described as 'creating an emotional response in others by using emotionally charged language and description', but I'm guessing in this context it was just part of FZ's wordplay. I reckon the lyrics aren't meant to make a lot of sense.<br><br><br><br><br>

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 2:27 pm 

[quote author=Butch link=board=albums;num=1036354009;start=45#46 date=12/09/02 at 04:57:31]<br><br>Its about time this album got some recognition.  I love this album.  Are there different versions of Blue Light on any other albums?  <br>[/quote]<br><br>The instrumental track of 'The blue light' is used again for 'Galoot update' on 'Thing-fish', with different lyrics over the top. I love that killer riff at the beginning of the song!! ;D<br>

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next