Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Wed Jan 01, 2003 7:40 am 

Does humor belong in music!<br><br>(2nd place: Weasels ripped my flesh).<br><br>Bye.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2003 10:38 am 

Probably "Broadway the Hard Way." Nice Miami Vice look, Frank. <br><br>Runners up: "Man From Utopia," "Best Band..."<br>

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 11:11 am 

Gotta go with Sleep Dirt and Studio Tan and Ship Arriving

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:04 pm 

I'm a bit disturbed by all the people who have named the cover of 'Have I Offended Somone' as their least favourite. I think Ralph Steadman's 'portrait' is brilliant and was so glad when this artwork (first appearing with the FZ obituary in something like Issue 2 of Mojo) turned up on the cover of the album. The toilet seat, referring as it does to that Zappa crapper poster which itself was inspired, apparently, by a Lenny Bruce photo, is recast as a halo, thereby signifying that every vulgar profanity ever uttered by the world's greatest satirist was in fact sacred. But we knew that already.<br><br>Not a big fan of the cow on the cover of Läther, but I believe it is significant to the title, and although it took me a while to spot, the fur colourings in the shape of Italy is cute.<br><br>As for those three albums culled from the original 'Läther' set, 'Studio Tan', 'Sleep Dirt' and 'Orchestral Favourites', although they are 'cheap as' and 'cheesey', they link with each other thematically. As, in fact, do those other covers so many people seem to dislike - the dog-bearing artworks of Donald Roller Wilson. Like the LSO album, the use of 'serious' artwork on a 'serious music' album deflates the whole classical music-as-high-art pretension.<br><br>Surely the 'YCDTOSA' series, offering only the title in an ugly, stylised typeface as its 'cover art', has to be the worst. Good thing the music was so good!<br><br>The 'Beat the Boots' box art comes a close second - and the sound quality doesn't make up for it!<br><br>(Although I liked the contemporary bootleg that took the mickey, entitled 'Boot the Beats'. While on the topic of such conceptual continuity, John and Yoko took the live Filmore 1971 cover a step further with the inner sleeve of the John/Yoko/Zappa/Mothers record - disc two of 'Sometime in New York City - 'graffiti-ing' the black and white pencil cover with a red ink and adding to Cal Schenkel's 'He made me do it...' their own admission: 'We wanted to do it!'.)

--

http://standanddeliver.blogs.com
http://www.radiohaha.com.au

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 9:31 pm 

I don't even mind that the yellow shark isn't even a shark.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 3:13 am 

The worst cover has to be "Zoot Allures" . It looks like "The Kids from Fame meet Ron Jeremy in 1976 " - Frank's trousers aren't the best are they ? If the picture isn't bad enough on the CD , you can actually make out the shape of his bell-end on the picture on the album !!<br>:o

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:00 am 

[quote author=Baby_snake link=board=albums;num=1030497271;start=30#43 date=01/11/03 at 05:13:36]The worst cover has to be "Zoot Allures" . <br>If the picture isn't bad enough on the CD , you can actually make out the shape of his bell-end on the picture on the album !![/quote]<br>That's the whole point !!!! And that's why it is a brilliant cover imo.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 4:01 am 

[quote author=jimmie d link=board=albums;num=1030497271;start=30#41 date=01/07/03 at 21:04:49]<br>However, there's one caveat; if the entire YCDTOSA set is in the bitchin' purple crate, then it goes from worst to one of the best!  I Image<br>[/quote]<br>Didn't know it existed. It looks fabulous. thanx for posting the pic.<br><br>and indeed, the covers of the series could've been far more better.<br>

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:21 am 

I think that all of the covers are great and unique in their styles, so for the worst I would name one of the "plain-text"-ones (although "Fillmore" and "YCDTOSA" are two of my favorites...). My vote goes to "Mothers of Prevention" (followed close by "Mystery Disc").<br>One favorite is hard to choose, but for the best I would keep it simple too and say "SATLTSADW". I still remember the moment when I realised the connection between the cover and the title (took me several weeks...) and couldn't stop laughing... ;D

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 7:45 am 

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 7:19 pm 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1030497271;start=45#47 date=05/26/03 at 10:45:59]Image<br>[/quote]<br><br>I was just about to say MTMOP.<br>It's a bit too basic, and it's not even minimalistic(unlike SATLTSADW), which is an exception I make in a case of simplicity.<br><br>That's pretty much the only thing thats bad about it, because I've been impressed by clips from the album.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:39 am 

[quote author=slime.oofytv.set link=board=albums;num=1030497271;start=45#47 date=05/26/03 at 10:45:59]Image <br>[/quote]<br><br>Here's my "Euro"version :<br><br>Image<br> <br>Don't really prefer either !<br><br><br>

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 6:20 am 

I'll have to agree with the YCDTOSA series. Nothing special at all. The booklets started off cool...lots of notes from FZ about the tracks...As the series went on FZ's humorous liner notes were fewer and fewer. <br><br>The Fillmore album is a great cover! A nice reminder of how bootlegs used to look back when they were all in white covers.<br><br>FZ meets the MOP is a bit boring...<br><br>BROADWAY THE HARD WAY should have used the inside shot of Frank as President for the cover!<br><br>

somehow...

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2003 10:16 am 

approximate wrote:
The Fillmore album is a great cover....
this cover is cool

Last edited by slime.oofytv.set on Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.