Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:08 pm 

Quilt wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
All that junk he added to the end of Uncle Meat.

I know why he did it, but still...

Illuminate me. Why the fuck did he do it?

Because he COULD do it.

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2013 7:39 pm 

tweezers wrote:
Because he COULD do it.
Boom.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2013 2:25 am 

I suspect he put the penalty tracks on there because at the time he figured he had 2 CDs to fill and a load of shit in the vault that he didn't think would see the light of day on a general release otherwise.

I have the film/ video. It is dire. The out of context dialogue is just awful.

Not one of FZ's better decisions.
Is there anyone else, besides the monkey, who thinks it really added anything to what, IMHO , is one his great albums?

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 7:37 am 

I know the song is about an obnoxious asshole and the vocals and the ending fits it well but damn the end of "I'm so cute" can get annoying.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:40 pm 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I know the song is about an obnoxious asshole and the vocals and the ending fits it well but damn the end of "I'm so cute" can get annoying.
Really? I've heard that before, but I absolutely LOVE that song. I don't think it could ever get old to me.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 3:55 pm 

Antiverse wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
Really? I've heard that before, but I absolutely LOVE that song. I don't think it could ever get old to me.

I've had a similar relationship with "Tryin' to Grow a Chin" over the years; I see the humor, the music has thoroughly worked its way into my brain, and I've always thought some of the lyrics were rather unnecessary. The only section of this song I can completely let myself get into is the "I wanna be dead; In bed; Please kill me; 'Cause that would thrill me" section.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:00 pm 

Quilt wrote:
I suspect he put the penalty tracks on there because at the time he figured he had 2 CDs to fill and a load of shit in the vault that he didn't think would see the light of day on a general release otherwise.

I have the film/ video. It is dire. The out of context dialogue is just awful.

Not one of FZ's better decisions.
Is there anyone else, besides the monkey, who thinks it really added anything to what, IMHO , is one his great albums?
For the record, I love the dialog portions of the Uncle Meat CD. It's a pity it has to interrupt the flow of the album, but it doesn't really bother me. I could definitely live without Tengo Na Minchia Tanta, though.

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 4:02 pm 

Buckalos wrote:
Antiverse wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

I've had a similar relationship with "Tryin' to Grow a Chin" over the years; I see the humor, the music has thoroughly worked its way into my brain, and I've always thought some of the lyrics were rather unnecessary. The only section of this song I can completely let myself get into is the "I wanna be dead; In bed; Please kill me; 'Cause that would thrill me" section.
That's my favorite part of that song, it's just killer!

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:04 am 

Antiverse wrote:
I've heard that before, but I absolutely LOVE that song. I don't think it could ever get old to me.

I've had a similar relationship with "Tryin' to Grow a Chin" over the years; I see the humor, the music has thoroughly worked its way into my brain, and I've always thought some of the lyrics were rather unnecessary. The only section of this song I can completely let myself get into is the "I wanna be dead; In bed; Please kill me; 'Cause that would thrill me" section.[/quote]That's my favorite part of that song, it's just killer![/quote]

I like it for the most part and the ending is growing on me, it's not as bad as when I first heard it.
Tryin' to grow a chin is just awesome and I love the bit you seem to have a hard time with.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2013 2:57 pm 

I am sick of City of Tiny Lites, it is on every live effort I run into during the period from 1977 to 1980

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:32 pm 

Antiverse wrote:

For example, I love OSFA and I know I'm not the only one. But for some reason, in comparison to the Sofa suite, Andy and Inca Roads, "San Ber'dino" just comes short, in my opinion. I guess I just don't get it. It's on Strictly Commercial too, I much rather would have heard Inca Roads or especially Andy on there, or even Florentine Pogen. Does anyone else have any instances like this on FZ albums that you greatly cherish?

I love One Size, but I admittedly could live without Evelyn and Sofa #2. I'd have much preferred if he had ditched those two and stuck the full version of Florentine Pogen on instead. Ever since I saw Dub Room Special, it's irritated me when that song fades out on the album.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:07 am 

I never understood the whole 'fish' stuff on Jumbo go away. The song takes a huge left turn when all that starts. I should read the lyrics, maybe it will make more sense then.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:15 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
I never understood the whole 'fish' stuff on Jumbo go away. The song takes a huge left turn when all that starts. I should read the lyrics, maybe it will make more sense then.

It seems that Jumbo has some offensive odor whose origin is pubical.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 5:43 am 

Wash up your pie (there are three things that smell like Fish!) Wash up your pie (one of them is fish...) Wash up your pie (the other two...) Wash up your pie (are growing on you...)

I want to know the other two? Her cunt n' asshole? I dunno, I feel really dumb for not knowing this. Derp.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:07 am 

NuclearProstate wrote:
Wash up your pie (there are three things that smell like Fish!) Wash up your pie (one of them is fish...) Wash up your pie (the other two...) Wash up your pie (are growing on you...)

I want to know the other two? Her cunt n' asshole? I dunno, I feel really dumb for not knowing this. Derp.

I think there's also some absurd humor on this part of the song. It does not necessarily mean that they are two the districts of Jumbo's anatomy which produce olfative repulsion.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:03 am 

Buckalos wrote:
Antiverse wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:

I absolutely love that song, particularly the cute little melody after some of the lines (eg "and I wish I was dead").

My favourite album is CP3. Don't like the new piano people as much as the rest of the album.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 6:49 pm 

Tangentially to this post. (But related enough)

My one of my favorite albums is (the unreleased) Chalk Pie:
1. Drowning Witch
2. Envelopes
3. Teen-Age Prostitute
4. The Dangerous Kitchen
5. Chalk Pie
6. We're Turning Again
7. Alien Orifice
8. The Jazz Discharge Party Hats
9. "The Torture Never Stops" guitar solo (title unknown)
10. What's New in Baltimore?
11. Moggio
12. "The Black Page #2" guitar solo (title unknown)
13. Clownz on Velvet
14. Frogs with Dirty Little Lips

It is my favorite moments (+ some) of two albums which, while they have some of my favorite songs, have a lot of GARBAGE. (I'm looking at you valley girl, sex, luigi and the wise guys) and some weaker moments (no not now, I come from nowhere.) I will never understand why Zappa canned this project and opted for the much weaker official output. It's worth finding the boot of this that's floating around, it is seriously one of my favorites.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2013 7:20 am 

Grimpoteuthis wrote:
Tangentially to this post. (But related enough)

My one of my favorite albums is (the unreleased) Chalk Pie:
1. Drowning Witch
2. Envelopes
3. Teen-Age Prostitute
4. The Dangerous Kitchen
5. Chalk Pie
6. We're Turning Again
7. Alien Orifice
8. The Jazz Discharge Party Hats
9. "The Torture Never Stops" guitar solo (title unknown)
10. What's New in Baltimore?
11. Moggio
12. "The Black Page #2" guitar solo (title unknown)
13. Clownz on Velvet
14. Frogs with Dirty Little Lips

It is my favorite moments (+ some) of two albums which, while they have some of my favorite songs, have a lot of GARBAGE. (I'm looking at you valley girl, sex, luigi and the wise guys) and some weaker moments (no not now, I come from nowhere.) I will never understand why Zappa canned this project and opted for the much weaker official output. It's worth finding the boot of this that's floating around, it is seriously one of my favorites.

I think I read on the Zappa patio that Frank canned this album because the record company didn't want to issue another double album after JG II - III, TTR, SUNPYG box set & YAWYI. Instead Frank reworked the 2LP Chalk Pie into the LP SATLTSADW.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:16 am 

Pretty much everything I have said here I have gotten over or don't mind anymore. I'm pretty sure I'm the only person who prefers the YAWYI version of IDWGD to any others too.

So I purchased Lather and gave it one full listen so far and listened to a few songs lots (RDNZL, Regyptian Strut, Illinois Enema Bandit to name a few) but I really don't get on with Tryin' to grow a chin & Broken hearts are for assholes. I love the SY versions and I know the Lather ones are the original but damn they feel pretty empty and lifeless not the biggest fan of Titties n' Beer either but I prefer it to the baby snakes version.

Po-Jama People is the weakest song on OSFA but I still think it is good, though I don't get what it is about. Boring people, sure but I read it is about a group he toured with in 1972/73? Any links or interviews to back this up?

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

Last edited by NuclearProstate on Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:06 pm 

MentalTossFlycoon wrote:
All that junk he added to the end of Uncle Meat.

I know why he did it, but still...

Tell me why he did it UM is my fave and it means I just skip shit.

I get tired of things and I go back to them. I cannot still take a complete listen to WRMF, nor do I much like about half of BTHW or Man from Utopia.

I also don't like the adds to AF (even though Big Leg Emma in other live versions is OK).

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2013 12:08 pm 

Oh yeah... PLEASE I hope I never have to get another 'new' release with yet another City of Tiny LItes on it, man that vamp is just boring.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2013 1:15 am 

tweezers wrote:
MentalTossFlycoon wrote:

I also don't like the adds to AF (even though Big Leg Emma in other live versions is OK).

As far as dumb pop songs go I think they're good and very catchy. A nice way to break up the album I think. AF may be my favorite early MOI album. If anything I would say the lowest point of the album is American Drinks.

Jazz From Hell... Love everything on it except for the title track I usually get half way through then skip and I feel like such a cunt for doing it. I hate skipping songs.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:26 am 

I don't listen to his albums as a whole much any more. I mainly listen to music when I'm in transit and I have all the tracks from what I consider to be his 42 core albums in a group which I listen to on random. Every now and then I skip a track but that's not often and not always the same tracks. I often get some interesting juxtapositions.

As examples of least favourite moments, tracks like Dummy Up and Dance Contest are the ones I'm most likely to skip and the talking tracks on CPIII. I'm starting to find the preambles on Roxy irritating because you can't skip them and cut to the chase. This is not in any way a criticism. All that stuff was hilarious the first few times I heard it but after a 1000 times it gets a bit old.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:57 pm 

Yeah I know what you mean. I mostly listen to my Zappa at work. I listen to Roxy lots. When those bits come up I switch off until the actual music starts. I'm a chef in a hectic kitchen so I train myself to do this.

Is there such thing as a perfect album? Apart from Rust In Peace, obviously.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also