Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Aug 03, 2015 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mudshark Live
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:10 am 

I was browsing Best Buys website since I have a $25 gift card and came across this FZ album that is to be released 6/23/15: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/mudshark-li ... d=28431459

Doesn't have any details though...

Attachments:
image.jpg
image.jpg [ 119.68 KiB | Viewed 941 times ]

Post subject: Re: Mudshark Live
PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2015 11:45 am 

Another bootleg, from the same label that did the Wollman Rink/Central Park 1968 release. This one is the in-studio acoustic jam from CKGM Montreal, July 1971.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 5:52 am 

It's been around for a while on vinyl

Label: KEYHOLE

Release date: 15/05/2015

Barcode: 5291012904928

Catalog no.: KHCD0009049

Item ID: 416917

Invigorated by having shaken up the personnel of the Mothers, in 1971 Frank Zappa was enjoying himself more than ever. Having played a gig earlier in the evening, the band taped this largely acoustic set for broadcast on the local CKGM-FM radio station. It finds Zappa backed by ex-Turtles Mark Volman and Howard Kaylan (a.k.a. the Phlorescent Leech & Eddie), as well as Jim Pons, Ian Underwood, Bob Harris and Aynsley Dunbar, and is presented here complete with background notes and images.
TRACKS:
01. Daddy's Home
02. The Polka / Drum Solo
03. Mudshark
04. Magdalena
05. Station ID By Frank
06. Jam (Including Pirate Jenny / Nikki Hoi)
07. Daddy Daddy Daddy
08. She Painted Up Her Face
09. Band Intro By Mark Volman
10. Oh Baby Don't Drop It
11. Happy Together / Penis Dimension
12. Outro By Frank / Polka Reprise
13. CHOM

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 7:53 am 

This appears to be the cover of the 2015 release, in case anyone is interested.

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2015 8:28 am 

Zapparears posts the quality as...

Frank Zappa
1971 July 05
Montreal Quebec CA CHOM Radio (CKGM-FM)

Source: B+

Last edited by just plain doug on Mon May 25, 2015 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2015 12:07 pm 

Interesting. Will keep an eye on this one and likely get it eventually. I know we're not supposed to support these releases, but if they're decent sounding, I'll grab them on CD. Maybe if the ZFT didn't slack so much on vault releases, I wouldn't bother.
Just ordered the Wollman Rink '68 set from Wayside Music for $10.

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 8:54 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Interesting. Will keep an eye on this one and likely get it eventually. I know we're not supposed to support these releases, but if they're decent sounding, I'll grab them on CD. Maybe if the ZFT didn't slack so much on vault releases, I wouldn't bother.

Hey folks, don't be a jerk like Fred here by supporting the bootleggers. This material is available on Zappateers and likely lifted directly from there. No seeders at the moment but if you start leeching someone will start seeding.
http://www.zappateers.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=6604

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2015 4:07 pm 

vivalapsych wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Hey folks, don't be a jerk like Fred here by supporting the bootleggers. This material is available on Zappateers and likely lifted directly from there. No seeders at the moment but if you start leeching someone will start seeding.

Hey Dil-Hole, I probably support the ZFT in more ways than you ever will. So eat chain. :P If I want to throw ten bucks down for a shady CD that's commercially available at a place I already shop at, I motherfucking will, cuz I don't bother with downloading shit. Yes, I'm still in the 20th century. :lol:
Maybe Gail should get the lawyers on it & stop these Keyhole releases, and just put out the stuff themselves, instead of pursuing various alumni-led cover bands. Or has she gave up on that yet? Seems like these could be pretty easy to shut down.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 2:57 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
vivalapsych wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Hey Dil-Hole, I probably support the ZFT in more ways than you ever will. So eat chain. :P If I want to throw ten bucks down for a shady CD that's commercially available at a place I already shop at, I motherfucking will, cuz I don't bother with downloading shit. Yes, I'm still in the 20th century. :lol:
Maybe Gail should get the lawyers on it & stop these Keyhole releases, and just put out the stuff themselves, instead of pursuing various alumni-led cover bands. Or has she gave up on that yet? Seems like these could be pretty easy to shut down.

Awww Fred..you're a good guy, but there's no getting around it; buying these boots is a jerky thing to do.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 3:45 pm 

Anyone get this yet? Wondering about sound quality. On these Keyhole releases so far: The Providence '75 show is decent, levels are tolerable, but the Wollman Rink NYC '69 show is mostly pretty crappy sounding with major clipping on the low end.

What's the deal with this performance being an "acoustic" gig? Frank on an acoustic, and Ian on a piano?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:20 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Anyone get this yet? Wondering about sound quality. On these Keyhole releases so far: The Providence '75 show is decent, levels are tolerable, but the Wollman Rink NYC '69 show is mostly pretty crappy sounding with major clipping on the low end.

What's the deal with this performance being an "acoustic" gig? Frank on an acoustic, and Ian on a piano?

Frank on an acoustic and there being clarinets on "Magdalena".

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:59 pm 

I'll stay far away from this one, and probably all future Keyhole CDs. The Providence '75 one is OK, Central Park '68 is pretty crappy.

Here's one of two Amazon reviews for Mudshark Live:

"These Zappa Keyhole releases are getting worse & worse. This is a 40 year-old recording of a Canadian radio show and sounds like it was made while recorder was on the floor in the middle of a large room while this was blasted over poor speakers. A uninteresting mishmash of talk, plugs and badly distorted music from 200 motels. No reason to buy this at all. Basically unlistenable. Less than zero stars."

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2015 3:11 pm 

And yet another one in the pipeline:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 1:12 pm 

Shrewnews wrote:
And yet another one in the pipeline:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26671

Looks to be a radio broadcast that FZ threw together in late '74.. Will have to see how much unreleased material there is and how the sound quality is before I think about snagging a used copy.
From doing some research, it looks like at least the '73 OZ Yellow Snow is on there, which is unnecessary since Official Release #83(OSD) has that.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:56 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
From doing some research, it looks like at least the '73 OZ Yellow Snow is on there, which is unnecessary since Official Release #83(OSD) has that.

That would also bring this release into outright pirate territory if it's included.