Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:16 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
What a wonderful record! :) Fountain Of Love, Stuff Up The Cracks, You Didn't Try To Call Me, Anything, Cheap Thrills, there's a whole bunch of great songs in it. I like it better than FO. It's the ultimate Frank's doo wop record. The solo that closes the album gives me chills.

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Last edited by wakawazooinregalia' on Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:07 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:55 pm
Posts: 2471
Yes. Great album.
Check out the group The Matadors.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5XqkgGl4ppM


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am
Posts: 840
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Out of all the Zappa albums I listen to at work. This is the one that gives me most joy. I love it.

Greasy love songs obviously*

_________________
Image

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1595
Yes, Greasy Love Songs. Or the original vinyl mix. Give me the THWACK of Black and Tripp, rather than the ridiculous POONCE of Wackerman.

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:27 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 09, 2013 6:22 pm
Posts: 2021
Location: In My Video
Since I received Greasy Love Songs, I do reach for it more often than Cruising.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:44 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Wellington New Zealand
Philostopher wrote:
Since I received Greasy Love Songs, I do reach for it more often than Cruising.


+ 1

However Rick Random of my windows media player fame always selects Cruising, and the same goes for the Rose Random on the 300 disc cd player, it's always Cruising. Over the years I've noticed the Randoms seem to have their own favorites......


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
That's better :wink:

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:04 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am
Posts: 840
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Yes, Greasy Love Songs. Or the original vinyl mix. Give me the THWACK of Black and Tripp, rather than the ridiculous POONCE of Wackerman.


Yeah I didn't understand why Zappa was so dismissive of the 60's drum sound by '84.

_________________
Image

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:48 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Apr 25, 2007 5:55 am
Posts: 1270
NuclearProstate wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Yes, Greasy Love Songs. Or the original vinyl mix. Give me the THWACK of Black and Tripp, rather than the ridiculous POONCE of Wackerman.


Yeah I didn't understand why Zappa was so dismissive of the 60's drum sound by '84.


Not only the 60's necessarily. If I recall right Mark Pinske said FZ decided he liked the 80's drum sound so much he wanted it on all of his past albums. That didn't happen but Chad did up replacing a lot of 70's and even early 80's tracks as well as the 60's material.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:20 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
pbuzby wrote:
NuclearProstate wrote:
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
Yes, Greasy Love Songs. Or the original vinyl mix. Give me the THWACK of Black and Tripp, rather than the ridiculous POONCE of Wackerman.


Yeah I didn't understand why Zappa was so dismissive of the 60's drum sound by '84.


Not only the 60's necessarily. If I recall right Mark Pinske said FZ decided he liked the 80's drum sound so much he wanted it on all of his past albums. That didn't happen but Chad did up replacing a lot of 70's and even early 80's tracks as well as the 60's material.

Those fucking drums just ruin the whole album. Same with WOIIFTM, although that version is uncensored. I wish that ZPZ could make a '68/2012 mix-uncensored WOIIFTM. No backwards on Harry You're a Beast, and the great verse:

Better look around before you say you don't care,
shut your fucking mouth about the lenght of my hair.
How would you survive, if you were alive?
Shitty little person.

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:49 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15120
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Those fucking drums just ruin the whole album. Same with WOIIFTM, although that version is uncensored. I wish that ZPZ could make a '68/2012 mix-uncensored WOIIFTM. No backwards on Harry You're a Beast, and the great verse:

Better look around before you say you don't care,
shut your fucking mouth about the lenght of my hair.
How would you survive, if you were alive?
Shitty little person.


I don't have Mothermania, but I think there's an uncensored version there.

(I'm trying to figure out what I don't have Mothermania....must correct)

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:21 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Wellington New Zealand
calvin2hikers wrote:
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
Those fucking drums just ruin the whole album. Same with WOIIFTM, although that version is uncensored. I wish that ZPZ could make a '68/2012 mix-uncensored WOIIFTM. No backwards on Harry You're a Beast, and the great verse:

Better look around before you say you don't care,
shut your fucking mouth about the lenght of my hair.
How would you survive, if you were alive?
Shitty little person.


I don't have Mothermania, but I think there's an uncensored version there.

(I'm trying to figure out what I don't have Mothermania....must correct)


It is on Mothermania, which if you're into downloads is available from Zappa.com.....but being Cal you probably already new that...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:37 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15120
Gray_Ghost wrote:

It is on Mothermania, which if you're into downloads is available from Zappa.com.....but being Cal you probably already new that...


I did know that, I just don't know why I haven't purchased it yet.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Wellington New Zealand
calvin2hikers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

It is on Mothermania, which if you're into downloads is available from Zappa.com.....but being Cal you probably already new that...


I did know that, I just don't know why I haven't purchased it yet.


To avoid a trendmonger rebuke here's the link

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... &pc=ZPDD12

:wink:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:50 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15120
Gray_Ghost wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
Gray_Ghost wrote:

It is on Mothermania, which if you're into downloads is available from Zappa.com.....but being Cal you probably already new that...


I did know that, I just don't know why I haven't purchased it yet.


To avoid a trendmonger rebuke here's the link

http://barfkoswill.shop.musictoday.com/ ... &pc=ZPDD12

:wink:


11 DOLLARS! Hey, I'm not made of money!!

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:16 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jan 03, 2005 7:51 pm
Posts: 9405
Location: Wellington New Zealand
:lol:


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:35 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
calvin2hikers wrote:
11 DOLLARS! Hey, I'm not made of money!!

Who would buy Mothermania for 11 dollars? You gotta be freak or something like that... :wink:

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:43 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sun Aug 31, 2003 2:41 pm
Posts: 15120
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:
11 DOLLARS! Hey, I'm not made of money!!

Who would buy Mothermania for 11 dollars? You gotta be freak or something like that... :wink:


I could buy lots of mac and cheese with that.

I actually have Greasy Love Songs and think it's great.

_________________
One of the sanest, surest, and most generous joys of life comes from being happy over the good fortune of others.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am
Posts: 840
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Anyone ever noticed that the album has a real eerie quality. The production is almost ghostly. Listen to it with no distraction and really good headphones and you'll see what I'm on about.

_________________
Image

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:07 am
Posts: 1595
http://zappacast.podomatic.com/entry/20 ... 1_32-07_00

New Zappacast is a tribute to lead singer Ray Collins. Also revealed: who played the sax solo on "Anything".

_________________
Lies are like quicksand, soft and comfortable, but they will swallow us. Truth is like bedrock, hard and uncomfortable, but we can always stand on it


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:39 am 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
wakawazooinregalia' wrote:
The solo that closes the album gives me chills
The sax solo of anything and the intro of I'm not Satisfied too.

About TYS, my favourite tunes are the more avant garde, like The Girl In Magnesium Dress or Times Beach III. I also love the versions of other albums. Food Gathering... is the only one I don't like so much.

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:07 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am
Posts: 840
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
Ed Organus Maximus wrote:
http://zappacast.podomatic.com/entry/2014-09-16T09_01_32-07_00

New Zappacast is a tribute to lead singer Ray Collins. Also revealed: who played the sax solo on "Anything".


Can't wait to listen to this. That sax solo is actually perfect.

_________________
Image

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:51 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
What I've found about Frank's huge discography is that you can always listen to something fresh, and be surprised again. For example, for the last couple of weeks I hadn't played Uncle Meat and I thought "maybe it wasn't that good". But I'm playing it now again, and it's indeed my favourite. I had forgotten how great Nine Types Of Industrial Pollution and The Legend Of The Golden Arches were! Tears in my eyes with Dog Breath Variations. And I must say The Uncle Meat Variations is my favourite Zappa song.

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:54 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 6:16 am
Posts: 840
Location: Royal Wootton Bassett
The Air is one of the most beautiful and singable songs ever composed.

_________________
Image

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:12 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:20 am
Posts: 1073
Location: In a drum
NuclearProstate wrote:
The Air is one of the most beautiful and singable songs ever composed.

Not my favourite of the album, but excellent too. It would make my top 50 Zappa songs easily.

_________________
Beautiful! God, it's God, I see God!.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group