Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:09 am 

tweezers wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
VacuumCleaner wrote:
I never said that there is no ZPZ tour this fall, I just won't believe any of these predictions (especially Trendy's) until anything is officially announced.

Ahhh gotcha... sorry, I didn't pick up on that. It was supposed to hit the big screen by the end of this year. If that doesn't happen, I see no reason, personally, to shell out pre-order cash for the Roxy/Proxy release. And where are all of those $1,000 licensed alternate distributors, anyhow? :mrgreen: :smoke: :smurf:

We only had one guy who copped to buying a license, he posted three times or so and hasn't returned...could be an alternate incarnation of a formerly-banned poster :wink:

Coming soon to an "in the ballpark" cover band merch booth near you.... :?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 9:51 am 

Folks can use their own imagination for when the movie will be released for the home consumer market. I hope the wait for the home consumer market is going to be a while. During that wait I'll enjoy my CD purchase of Roxy by Proxy, the ZPZ tour, and all projects that are playing itself out in the release schedule. Lots of great things from Euro 73' to KCETV. If the Roxy movie is made available to the home consumer market sooner I'll surely enjoy that but there is so very much in the grand scheme of Roxy. As I had suspected, all these projects, how they fit together, it is all working out very nicely. I hope that previews and cinema will be the place to see the Roxy movie first. I am only guessing December 21, 2014 because of the possibility for previews at ZPZ shows and a cinema release. Previews and Cinema can play itself out sooner than we think, or it could run into next year. The ZPZ Roxy Tour will be Worldwide. The tour may very well have additional tour legs than what is currently published.

How long could previews be a part of that tour? When will the film hit cinema's? Tour previews and cinema could be feasible but for how long? There are some clues out there that make some fans wonder if the Halloween Show will have a preview. I do wonder regarding previews at ZPZ shows, could it be for only the Halloween show in NYC or could previews make it worldwide. How many previews can be given without previews affecting cinema feasibility. Now it could also be possible that the movie is available for format consumer purchase sooner than December 21, 2014 but I would imagine folks are hoping for Cinema by this December.

I do not bring this to the table because of inside information. I do so because some folks are quite negative about spending their money on Roxy by Proxy. Some with a tone that makes me wonder why they would go to a Chinese restaurant if they do not like Chinese food. The so called political BS is fans that feel the overt need to complain and complain. It is costing lots of time and money to put the film together. I would hope the Roxy by Proxy prequel to the film gives the ZFT a few pennies to invest into the film cost.

If enough fans are just going to sit and wait on the film what does that say for supporting the artist? It's all how Frank created his budgets, if enough money comes in from one project it can keep the next one going. Not that I expect Roxy by Proxy will bring in enough money to produce the entire film, or even 2% of the film costs, but Roxy by Proxy Project has given people an opportunity to understand a bit more about budgeting for projects. Each day we learn more and more about who the whiny fans are and who the fans are that care enough to invest into the artist. Not that many can afford the 1,000 bucks for the License to distribute but some of the talk of not even buying Roxy by Proxy or listening to music no more is out to lunch. Some of the participation in this thread, such as
ZutboF wrote:
I can wait no problem anyway I don't listen music no more.
If you don't listen to music no more why even bother getting involved in a thread about some soundtrack music to the Holy Grail of Zappa. Sure keep waiting and writing about about any given Music Is The Best that you don't listen no more.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

Frank Zappa left the ZFT in Control of his Vaults and Artistic rights.
We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

Last edited by Trendmonger on Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:03 am 

tweezers wrote:
We only had one guy who copped to buying a license, he posted three times or so and hasn't returned...could be an alternate incarnation of a formerly-banned poster :wink:

But... but... but it was a revolutionary music business game changer! :mrgreen:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:07 am 

The "political bs" comment was in reference to Disco Boy single handedly turning the "Roxy Announcement Today? Or, did I fall for it again?" thread into a discussion about his life story, not unlike Trendmonger and Isaac, thus becoming the newest forum pariah.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:09 am 

SSDU
(Same shit, different user) :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 10:22 am 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
The "political bs" comment was in reference to Disco Boy single handedly turning the "Roxy Announcement Today? Or, did I fall for it again?" thread into a discussion about his life story, not unlike Trendmonger and Isaac, thus becoming the newest forum pariah.

I did not read any of Disco Boys discussions of his life story. I have read enough of his commentary where I know he likes to deal in gathering data but outside of that I know nothing of what caused the masses to come down on him. Whatever that problem is between Disco Boy and whoever I don't care to get involved in that.

We all have our own personalities but the overt bashing of the ZFT is the kind of political BS that has kept me away from this forum for long lengths of time. Since the dawn of this forum I noticed that far too much of the energy was put into complaining. It got to the point where I knew that even when the Roxy Film would get a release that the complaints would be the defining factor of some of the energy at this domain. We are at the crossroads and can see how very much it still exists.

Most forum members have the love of Zappa music in common, I would hope all could get along on that level. It's unfortunate that some fans have repeatedly made the official Zappa domain a platform for their complaints of how the ZFT run their business. I don't think that some will ever change. I remain very optimistic of what is on the horizon...... enjoy , Music Is The Best!

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

We the fans are not in control. We have a choice to use our eyes and ears or read it and weep.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:07 am 

tweezers wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:
VacuumCleaner wrote:
I never said that there is no ZPZ tour this fall, I just won't believe any of these predictions (especially Trendy's) until anything is officially announced.

Ahhh gotcha... sorry, I didn't pick up on that. It was supposed to hit the big screen by the end of this year. If that doesn't happen, I see no reason, personally, to shell out pre-order cash for the Roxy/Proxy release. And where are all of those $1,000 licensed alternate distributors, anyhow? :mrgreen: :smoke: :smurf:

Yep. And I raise my offer. I'll pay a premium of $5 on the BSwill price to this individual for the album.

This is teh way of a true fan. Preordering from Barfko Swill is undermining the whole distribution revolutions, which Gail put forth.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:26 am 

Trendmonger wrote:
...I do not bring this to the table because of inside information. I do so because some folks are quite negative about spending their money on Roxy by Proxy. Some with a tone that makes me wonder why they would go to a Chinese restaurant if they do not like Chinese food. The so called political BS is fans that feel the overt need to complain and complain. It is costing lots of time and money to put the film together. I would hope the Roxy by Proxy prequel to the film gives the ZFT a few pennies to invest into the film cost.

If enough fans are just going to sit and wait on the film what does that say for supporting the artist? It's all how Frank created his budgets, if enough money comes in from one project it can keep the next one going. Not that I expect Roxy by Proxy will bring in enough money to produce the entire film, or even 2% of the film costs, but Roxy by Proxy Project has given people an opportunity to understand a bit more about budgeting for projects. Each day we learn more and more about who the whiny fans are and...blah, blah, blah

All this and more, so much more, from a guy who told us long ago that he can't afford to kick $1000 in for a distributorship. What a fucking gasbag! Chinese, anyone?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:32 am 

Pope Jim wrote:
What a fucking gasbag! Chinese, anyone?

They're much more digestible presented in the condensed format:

This post was made by Trendmonger who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.

:mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:51 am 

For the record, I've never bashed or criticized the ZFT and/or those directly and/or indirectly involved with their business decisions and practices and/or anybody from the family.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:29 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:
For the record, I've never bashed or criticized the ZFT and/or those directly and/or indirectly involved with their business decisions and practices and/or anybody from the family.

For whatever reason, this totally reminds me of this 'Tinseltown Rebellion' moment: (absolutely no offense intended, SB)

Fz: "This man is trying desperately to let everybody know that he's not a queer. he's not queer, he's not queer. awright, and now... you are going to dance, like you've never danced before..."

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:32 pm 

SPACEBROTHER wrote:

This is where Trendy gets sanctimonious. This is a forum. I have disagreed with their marketing practices and asked questions about tracklists, delayed release dates and the like. This is not 'bashing' anyone. It is a consumer, a rabid consumer of their product asking for clarification.

I even understand some of their reticence to put the information out...but to say that some forum poster is somehow an illegitimsate fan because he or she waits to get further information about an upcoming release is absurd.

Frank would consider people who follow without question to be sheep.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:48 pm 

I would highly question anyone who doesn't find his actions sheep-like - but hey, knock your socks off if you feel otherwise. :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:06 pm 

VacuumCleaner wrote:
I won't preorder anything. I guess I will wait until both "Roxy by Proxy" and "Road Tapes 2" are released to save shipping costs. And I will buy the movie whenever it is released :wink: :smoke:

Yeah, that's what I am thinking as well. $30 for a damn CD is pretty hard to stomach, even for Roxy Zappa. Heck, I could get a prime-era Dead 4 disc show for less (plus they would, ya know, promote the damn thing by making web videos about the creation of the archival release, having listening parties for select tracks from the release, even...a TRACKLISTING!!!)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:45 pm 

A buddy of mine and I discussed this last week (re: the pricing of Roxy/Proxy). He mentioned the first 10 ZZ Top albums have all been released with the original mixes in mind in a collective box set. TEN discs! How much $ you ask? $39.98. That's less than $4 per disc... nearly one tenth of the Roxy/Proxy equivalent. Just sayin'..... :|

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 1:58 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
A buddy of mine and I discussed this last week (re: the pricing of Roxy/Proxy). He mentioned the first 10 ZZ Top albums have all been released with the original mixes in mind in a collective box set. TEN discs! How much $ you ask? $39.98. That's less than $4 per disc... nearly one tenth of the Roxy/Proxy equivalent. Just sayin'..... :|

What???? How are they going to have the funds to make future releases with such a "slim" profit margin? :roll:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:53 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
For those waiting for the DVD/BlueRay. Enjoy your wait for the Film to play in your home players. I have high hopes that The Roxy Film will be shown in theatres and previewed during the Zappa Plays Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere Tour. As far as when the DVD of the Roxy Film will be available for consumer purchase, that could be a longer wait than you might expect. I would guess after the theatre engagements and the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour...... December 21, 2014 sounds nice to me.

The Roxy film was previewed on the first Zappa Plays Zappa Tour in 2006, and the clips (which were well over 30 minutes) were on zappa.com for a long while. They sounded and looked nice to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:06 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:

ZZTop probably outsells Zappa 10000 to 1. So maybe the comparison isn't really valid.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
ZZTop probably outsells Zappa 10000 to 1. So maybe the comparison isn't really valid.

I'd argue that "10,000 to 1" isn't really valid. :mrgreen:
I hear ya though, Cal - it's not exactly apples to oranges.... just an observation and "some kind of" barometer.

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:19 pm 

HJ wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
For those waiting for the DVD/BlueRay. Enjoy your wait for the Film to play in your home players. I have high hopes that The Roxy Film will be shown in theatres and previewed during the Zappa Plays Zappa Roxy & Elsewhere Tour. As far as when the DVD of the Roxy Film will be available for consumer purchase, that could be a longer wait than you might expect. I would guess after the theatre engagements and the Zappa Plays Zappa Tour...... December 21, 2014 sounds nice to me.

The Roxy film was previewed on the first Zappa Plays Zappa Tour in 2006, and the clips (which were well over 30 minutes) were on zappa.com for a long while. They sounded and looked nice to me.

That sure was something special. I agree that it sounded and looked nice. Roxy previews in 2006? Hmmm, thought that they were shown in 2007. We soon learned that the project would take far more time and resources than we had expected after seeing the original previews. From my memory we had those previews at ZPZs NYCs Beacon Theatre Halloween 2007 show. I would suspect that if previews are shown this Halloween that it will be quite different. Showtime at DweezilZappaWorld TOUR area for this years Halloween Show states 7PM.

FZ "Read It And Weep"
April 17,1981

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:23 pm 

Guilty of skimming Trendy's hidden post there, I'll point out that the 1st Roxy footage was shown in 2003 on the Baby Snakes DVD:

DVD Release Date: December 9, 2003

:smoke:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:27 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
PenguinInBondage wrote:

This fella has a valid point. :smoke:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:34 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

I'd argue that "10,000 to 1" isn't really valid. :mrgreen:
I hear ya though, Cal - it's not exactly apples to oranges.... just an observation and "some kind of" barometer.

You're wrong and I recommend you be banned. ZZ Top have had a Diamond Certified recording and several platinum recordings. Frank? 2 Gold in the US. Anything released by ZZ Top is going to easily outsell FZ. So they might be more readily available to charge so little for a 10 disc retrospective. I'll take my apology in cash.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:59 pm 

calvin2hikers wrote:
You're wrong and I recommend you be banned. ZZ Top have had a Diamond Certified recording and several platinum recordings. Frank? 2 Gold in the US. Anything released by ZZ Top is going to easily outsell FZ. So they might be more readily available to charge so little for a 10 disc retrospective. I'll take my apology in cash.

<snicker> you funny! :mrgreen:
Banning me is the only sensible solution here. :wink:
Gold = 500,000 | Platinum = 1 mil | Diamond = 10 mil
Very impressive for the bearded ones, no doubt!
However, going by your generalization: 2 gold = 1 mil for Frank (not counting his other 50+ releases during his lifetime nor his bunch-o posthumous ones)
1 Diamond for ZZ + several Platinum (let's say 4 of them) - that's 15 mil

That'd be 15x more in sales.... you're off by a few when you say 10,000 to 1. Just sayin' :mrgreen:

Image Image

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 6:09 pm 

PenguinInBondage wrote:
calvin2hikers wrote:

<snicker> you funny! :mrgreen:
Banning me is the only sensible solution here. :wink:
Gold = 500,000 | Platinum = 1 mil | Diamond = 10 mil
Very impressive for the bearded ones, no doubt!
However, going by your generalization: 2 gold = 1 mil for Frank (not counting his other 50+ releases during his lifetime nor his bunch-o posthumous ones)
1 Diamond for ZZ + several Platinum (let's say 4 of them) - that's 15 mil

That'd be 15x more in sales.... you're off by a few when you say 10,000 to 1. Just sayin' :mrgreen:

You are using my formulaic hyperbole as a petard in which you hoist yourself. They can afford it, the ZFT can't. There. How's that? I'll settle for green stamps.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 39  Next