Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:29 am 

Hey, I am happy that there is some clarity here, ROXY IS SOON HERE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:41 am 

tweezers wrote:
Hey, I am happy that there is some clarity here, ROXY IS SOON HERE

To quote "Joe": "No, uh... not yet" Isn't Roxy by Proxy still technically just the *prequel* to Roxy and its soundtrack? Or did I miss something throughout this clusterfuck?

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 12:54 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
Trying not to bitch about it but this thing should have been available during the whole tour at all the shows! But that would have made too much sense.

I hear ya. No excuses for not having Road Tapes2 and/or RoxyProxy on the merch table. Tour & releases have been planned for at least 6 months. ZPZ tour and new FZ releases should go together.
That said, I'm not worried. Will get them when they're ready. Buffalo show last night(my 9th) was the best I've seen/heard yet :) . Sheila owned, Dweezil tore it up. Bassist seems more comfortable than last year, and I prefer him now over Griffin. Norton has his hands full, and kills it on everything. Ben is the fucking man, anyone who still whines for Ray/Napoleon is an idiot. Ryan Brown has brought new life to the band overall, and was way better than I expected. No offense to Travers. I just hope no Joe in ZPZ means more Keneally band touring in the US.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 7:06 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
... $21.12 is a reasonable price to pay. Is 21.12 the new standard for a single CD from a small cottage industry?

It's certainly appropriate for a Rush cd!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:17 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
... $21.12 is a reasonable price to pay. Is 21.12 the new standard for a single CD from a small cottage industry?

It's certainly appropriate for a Rush cd!

Aren't they a Canadian band? Anything from Canada is a cottage industry, I've heard. (from Americanos of course) :wink: :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 9:12 pm 

Trendmonger wrote:
Back in the late 70s and early 80s Zappa fans were parting with $100(where $100 was valued a whole lot more) to get their hands on Freak Out in used record shops.

It was available in great condition at 7 outta 10 garage/yard sales that said they had records in Trendy's time period. They had Freak Out or FZ's & The Mothers other rarities for a nickel to a quarter.(a buck at the most) It makes me think Trendy's the only fan that would spend that kind of money blindly (back then & now) when every ZappaFreak picked one up for next to nothin' at record sales all over da place. And this has nothing to do with the ZFT and official loyalty crap. FZ was putting out JG, I, II & III while I was buying FO to GW for nickels! You just had to look around your neighborhood yard & garage sales. Apparently Trendy stayed in his teenage basement to long to realize this. (doesn't have clue pumpkin with the eye's be rollin' on the concrete fawn pumpkin') We need a dumb assed pumpkin too.. :oops:, we got Trendy instead, I forgot.

BTW: I'm not picking on him. I'm picking on his lameness and his exaggerated posts. So no Wooly Bully crap here.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2013 11:11 pm 

You know, for the past seven years I've rummaged second-hand shops on a regular base. The only Zappa-thing I ever found was a bootleg recording.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:26 am 

BBP wrote:
You know, for the past seven years I've rummaged second-hand shops on a regular base. The only Zappa-thing I ever found was a bootleg recording.

Location, location, location, I tell ya. In N. Cal at that time and even now I'll run across some MOI albums in fair-good condition. It seems FZ's records looked so *hip* to the parents that they bought them for their offspring. But alas the children of their loins can't wait to dump that old LA FZ-Doors downer scene for some Journey, Eddie Money and the always cute & safe Huey Lewis and the snooze. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:51 am 

BBP wrote:

I found several Zappa records in second-hand shops and fleemarkets over the years:

- Weasels ripped my flesh
- The grand wazoo
- Zoot allures
- Zappa in New York
- Sleep dirt
- Sheik Yerbouti
- Orchestral favorites
- Joe's Garage Act I, II & III 3LP Box
- Tinsel town rebellion
- You are what you is
- Ship arriving too late to save a drowning witch
- Boulez conducts Zappa: The perfect stranger
- Thing Fish 3LP Box
- Frank Zappa meets the Mothers of Prevention (European version)
- Stairway to heaven EP
- Hungry Freaks Bootleg PIC

Most of them I found in Ulm.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 9:56 am 

I noticed a wave of used Zappa LPs showing up when the remaster CDs came out last year. Still see them from time to time.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:19 am 

BBP wrote:

Take the train to Bruxelles - there are some really good second hand shops in the old city. I saw the bulk of Zappa's vinyl catalogue passing through a few years back and bought a nice copy of JABFLA, complete with resin spots in the gatefold 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:28 am 

I was in Berlin this summer - on the flea-market I saw quite a few FZ-albums (vinyls). I even saw some rarities, like the vinyl edition of Joe's Menage with a bonus Black Napkins on it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 10:42 am 

One of the best second hand shop I've ever seen is in Lissabon. On the frontdoor he had several FZ-pictures and posters. Half of the shop was very nice progressive/psychedelic rock with lots of rare stuff!
Only one thing was very strange for me in that shop: When I went straight to "Z" to look for Zappa, nothing was there, they were sorted under "F"!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 11:10 am 

balint wrote:
I was in Berlin this summer - on the flea-market I saw quite a few FZ-albums (vinyls). I even saw some rarities, like the vinyl edition of Joe's Menage with a bonus Black Napkins on it.

that's bootleg. not a real release.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 12:43 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
balint wrote:
the vinyl edition of Joe's Menage with a bonus Black Napkins on it.

Funny, because it can be found on the net everywhere, saying it to be a Vaulternative release. Funny (if this is a bootleg) that if the ZFT keeps on banning everything they can (bands, Youtube-uploads, etc), this version seems to be everywhere. (BTW adding Black Napkins IS a good idea, making this album somewhat worth to have. But not really.)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 1:09 pm 

balint wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
balint wrote:
the vinyl edition of Joe's Menage with a bonus Black Napkins on it.

Funny, because it can be found on the net everywhere, saying it to be a Vaulternative release. Funny (if this is a bootleg) that if the ZFT keeps on banning everything they can (bands, Youtube-uploads, etc), this version seems to be everywhere. (BTW adding Black Napkins IS a good idea, making this album somewhat worth to have. But not really.)

Shut up.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:30 pm 

balint wrote:

Isn't that official release #84? :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:36 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Yes it it, but that one is WITHOUT the bonus Black Napkins. This "bonusified" one is unofficial, as Jay "Shut Up" P-funk noted above.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:51 pm 

balint wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:

Yes it it, but that one is WITHOUT the bonus Black Napkins. This "bonusified" one is unofficial, as Jay "Shut Up" P-funk noted above.

It's advertised as "official release #84" even with BN as an extra. It would fool the unknowing eye. Good to know ,thanks manx. :wink: 8)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:02 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:
Back in the late 70s and early 80s Zappa fans were parting with $100(where $100 was valued a whole lot more) to get their hands on Freak Out in used record shops.

It makes me think Trendy's the only fan that would spend that kind of money blindly (back then & now)

No...he isn't.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 5:16 pm 

just plain doug wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Trendmonger wrote:

It makes me think Trendy's the only fan that would spend that kind of money blindly (back then & now)

No...he isn't.

Ha! I didn't mean the completest collectors, of those I'm sure there's quite a few. I'd be one too, if I had the money. Trendy seems to dwell on just what he's got, though he'll never admit to not having FZ's whole official catalog collection or of having bought any Boots that I know of...has he? He'll still comment on the quality even though he's never had one. :roll: Ah, but that's Trendy, what are ya gonna do...forgetaboutit! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:18 pm 

I almost shit myself last month when I went into Record Archive in Rochester NY. Used vinyl section, someone sold off their FZ vinyl collection. Great shape stuff - SUNPYG & Thing-Fish boxes, Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, and most of the '73-'76 releases. Some were tempting, but I just looked and fetished. :)

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:07 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I almost shit myself last month when I went into Record Archive in Rochester NY. Used vinyl section, someone sold off their FZ vinyl collection. Great shape stuff - SUNPYG & Thing-Fish boxes, Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, and most of the '73-'76 releases. Some were tempting, but I just looked and fetished. :)

I'll admit those little gems that show up here and there, now and again are fading fast. You should grab what you can, while you can. FZ didn't sell like The BeaTles and yet some of his stuff is still showing up. It won't last for long when people can make a buck off of anything they will. So grab FZ now or you'll never get another chance...how'd they feel to your touch, you being a "fetish" shopper and all of us being ZappaFreaks? :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:28 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
Trying not to bitch about it but this thing should have been available during the whole tour at all the shows! But that would have made too much sense.

I hear ya. No excuses for not having Road Tapes2 and/or RoxyProxy on the merch table. Tour & releases have been planned for at least 6 months. ZPZ tour and new FZ releases should go together.
That said, I'm not worried. Will get them when they're ready. Buffalo show last night(my 9th) was the best I've seen/heard yet :) . Sheila owned, Dweezil tore it up. Bassist seems more comfortable than last year, and I prefer him now over Griffin. Norton has his hands full, and kills it on everything. Ben is the fucking man, anyone who still whines for Ray/Napoleon is an idiot. Ryan Brown has brought new life to the band overall, and was way better than I expected. No offense to Travers. I just hope no Joe in ZPZ means more Keneally band touring in the US.

Ben was pretty good in the last show I saw... but I would still prefer Napolean because I like the sound of his voice in context with the music. So I guess I'll be an idiot. Heh.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:47 pm 

Phlakaton wrote:
Ben was pretty good in the last show I saw... but I would still prefer Napolean because I like the sound of his voice in context with the music. So I guess I'll be an idiot. Heh.

I like Ben, but seeing The GrandMothers do the whole Roxy Album a few months back with Napi singing and blowing sax & flute, DP on keys, well, from the get go FZ chose Napi and he will always be the best. If you get a chance to see him in action don't pass it man, he hasn't lost a beat at 63.
The rest is second guessing the maestro or wishful thinking.

I know the drill, STFU and I'm an idiot too! Heh, heh. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19 ... 39  Next