Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next
PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:11 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I just hope no Joe in ZPZ means more Keneally band touring in the US.

I hope he is more busy in the vault :wink:

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:46 am 

ZutboF wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I just hope no Joe in ZPZ means more Keneally band touring in the US.

I hope he is more busy in the vault :wink:

He just finished preforming 200 Motels last night.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:18 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I almost shit myself last month when I went into Record Archive in Rochester NY. Used vinyl section, someone sold off their FZ vinyl collection. Great shape stuff - SUNPYG & Thing-Fish boxes, Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, and most of the '73-'76 releases. Some were tempting, but I just looked and fetished. :)

I'll admit those little gems that show up here and there, now and again are fading fast. You should grab what you can, while you can. FZ didn't sell like The BeaTles and yet some of his stuff is still showing up. It won't last for long when people can make a buck off of anything they will. So grab FZ now or you'll never get another chance...how'd they feel to your touch, you being a "fetish" shopper and all of us being ZappaFreaks? :lol:

I have the entire discography on CD, replaced inferior Rykos with superior UM versions.. I have collected some FZ vinyl releases. I'm by no means a vinyl completist. So yeah, it would be cool to have the SUNPYG box on vinyl, but it's like a space issue. If I have the UM double-CD, and the Ryko triple, why would I need an original vinyl box that I would listen to once and have it sit on a shelf?

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:37 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Fred_Zappelin wrote:
I almost shit myself last month when I went into Record Archive in Rochester NY. Used vinyl section, someone sold off their FZ vinyl collection. Great shape stuff - SUNPYG & Thing-Fish boxes, Grand Wazoo, Waka/Jawaka, and most of the '73-'76 releases. Some were tempting, but I just looked and fetished. :)

I'll admit those little gems that show up here and there, now and again are fading fast. You should grab what you can, while you can. FZ didn't sell like The BeaTles and yet some of his stuff is still showing up. It won't last for long when people can make a buck off of anything they will. So grab FZ now or you'll never get another chance...how'd they feel to your touch, you being a "fetish" shopper and all of us being ZappaFreaks? :lol:

I have the entire discography on CD, replaced inferior Rykos with superior UM versions.. I have collected some FZ vinyl releases. I'm by no means a vinyl completist. So yeah, it would be cool to have the SUNPYG box on vinyl, but it's like a space issue. If I have the UM double-CD, and the Ryko triple, why would I need an original vinyl box that I would listen to once and have it sit on a shelf?

So you can send it all to me for Zappadan? :D :lol: I can dig it Fred Zep, as long as I have the CD collection updated I'm good too. There are some FZ album pop ups that are out I'd like to have just cause they're cool. I'm not as complete a completest as some on here are. Some folks have everything FZ/ZFT put out, just ask jpd. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:30 am 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

I never listen to my vinyl SUNPYG because the whole album's pitch is adjusted a quarter-step sharp. And no, it's not my record player doing that. Also, because I have perfect pitch that stuff irritates the shit out of me, so I only listen to the Uni remaster.

The same thing with YAWYI: The whole album is a quarter-step sharp, on purpose though. I love listening to the album, but for that reason, I refuse to learn that album on my bass, because I don't want to adjust the tuning.

A few years ago when Arthur Barrow and Tommy Mars did that show with a bunch of university students from Texas, I could barely bring myself to watch the whole thing simply because one trumpeter was out of tune. C'mon man!!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:54 pm 

When it first came out, the SUNPYG vinyl box was the fourth Zappa release I had purchased after Hot Rats, The Grand Wazoo and Sleep Dirt when I was 14 years old. To this day, those still remain as my favorites. One of my older brothers had been collecting Zappa records since about 1970 or 1971 so I was familiar with his music before I started purchasing them for myself. It took me until the '95 RYKO releases to complete the catalogue. The only ones I never purchased were the Old Masters boxes and I never sought out the original vinyl catalogue in it's entirety. With all of the music I've collected from so many bands over the last nearly 40 some odd years, I've had to dedicate entire rooms for storage. It might be time for me to start purging some of my collection to make space. I spend a small fortune annually on music. I've also traded countless hours of unofficially released music. Regardless of space issues, I still, and always will prefer physical media over digital though. I would hate to have to dedicate entire rooms to hard drives. They're not as fun to look at.

Speaking of which....wtf does RBP ship?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:09 pm 

I am pretty complete in my collection, all the vinyl when it came out (FO bought after 1970, I started in 1969). I buy it all but have not bought the UM upgrades, I may, but my system is not that high-end anymore.

Roxy could ship tomorrow if whoever got some musictoday update was right.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:25 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I am pretty complete in my collection, all the vinyl when it came out (FO bought after 1970, I started in 1969).

Q: By '70 were all the vinyl FO's still original? (goes to dig out original vinyl FO) Or are they missing the triangle picture under the ad for "Visiting LA this summer?" in the bottom rt. 3rd page inner sleeve notes and collage?
The triangle picture sez: " In the Foreground: Ray, Les McCann and Paul Butterfield. Freaking out... I believe that's Verves first pressing, although don't press me on that, ask the experts here.
Did Verve press more than the first batch of FO before the '70's and if so, how many and when? And when did the Triangle picture disappear? :?:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:52 pm 

When I got into Zappa in'76 and started going backwards looking for stuff I'm pretty sure all those early Mothers albums were out of print.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:14 pm 

KUIII wrote:
When I got into Zappa in'76 and started going backwards looking for stuff I'm pretty sure all those early Mothers albums were out of print.

Do you have an original Verve FO album KUIII?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 4:04 am 

the pre-order page now says around the 25th.
I think the orig date was like Sept 18? So about a month off, an acceptable delay, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:48 am 

brainpang wrote:
I think the orig date was like Sept 18? So about a month off, an acceptable delay, I guess.

Not really, because that is the 3rd time they've offered a shipping date. It is horrible business to never deliver on your deadlines.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:55 am 

brainpang wrote:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 12:53 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Got that, and a Black Verve LG LP, which would be an English pressing I think...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:11 pm 

tweezers wrote:
KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
KUIII wrote:

Got that, and a Black Verve LG LP, which would be an English pressing I think...

I've only seen the Verve blue center album. The Idiot Bastard might know about the black one being English. :idea:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:01 pm 

Thought I might have a good birthday over next weekend... Oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 1:45 am 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
I've only seen the Verve blue center album. The Idiot Bastard might know about the black one being English. :idea:

Black Verve could be English, German, Italian, possibly other origin - most often you will find the information somewhere on the label and on the cover. I have a black label German Verve issue of Lumpy Gravy, and a black label Italian Verve Mothermania.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 2:47 am 

I have a black version of Freak Out! Well, the non-label part, anyway.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:14 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
brainpang wrote:

Not really, because that is the 3rd time they've offered a shipping date. It is horrible business to never deliver on your deadlines.

I doubt it effects sales so technically it is not bad business.
oops, just noticed you wrote "horrible." So my point is moot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:19 am 

KUIII wrote:

I guess location is key, but the only "pricey" ones (if you wanted a mintish copy) in the 70s into the very early 80s was 200 Motels & Lumpy Gravy.

edit: and the available LG was the import, black label, lighter weight cover. Don't recall ever seeing an orig USA for sale.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:11 am 

brainpang wrote:
KUIII wrote:

I guess location is key, but the only "pricey" ones (if you wanted a mintish copy) in the 70s into the very early 80s was 200 Motels & Lumpy Gravy.

edit: and the available LG was the import, black label, lighter weight cover. Don't recall ever seeing an orig USA for sale.

In those old days of LPs there were so many little mail-order places where you could get pressings (for a price) from all over the world, and where you could get bootlegs, i got my Toxic Shock box that way, an original Ark (which was pressed on Bizarre and ready to go, but shelved) and a very nice '73 concert from the Midwest (I forget the name of the bootleg) which was well mastered.

Those were the days!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:50 am 

Items in this department are available for pre-order and will ship on or around October 31, 2013. If your order contains pre-order items, all items in your order will be held and shipped together when all units have arrived. If you would like to receive non-pre-order items sooner please place a separate order.

:mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:53 am 

Christ! I think this will be my last pre-order. Until the next pre-order.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:02 pm 

tweezers wrote:
I guess location is key...

hehe, how much more simple it was here in Hungary, as in the eighties (when I was inmy teenage) almost no-one had an idea who Frank Zappa was at all, it was almost impossible to get albums from the west (sometimes it WAS possible for unimaginable prices), and we never could dream about seeing some of our heroes live. Nowadays its different, of course.

Here's Gábor Csupó's story from the seventies (From Hungary With Love):

"It was a hell of a time for a guy like me, who was really hungry for some good music to listen to. I wanted access to anything more exciting than the local radio hits. Western music was not available to the public on vinyl or on tape. But if you were lucky, you could catch it on the radio in certain programs a couple hours a week. Of course, that just didn’t cut it."

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:38 pm 

KAPT.KIIRK wrote:
Q: By '70 were all the vinyl FO's still original? (goes to dig out original vinyl FO) Or are they missing the triangle picture under the ad for "Visiting LA this summer?" in the bottom rt. 3rd page inner sleeve notes and collage?
The triangle picture sez: " In the Foreground: Ray, Les McCann and Paul Butterfield. Freaking out... I believe that's Verves first pressing, although don't press me on that, ask the experts here.
Did Verve press more than the first batch of FO before the '70's and if so, how many and when? And when did the Triangle picture disappear? :?:

I think you have it backwards. It's not the triangle picture that disappeared, it's the Freak Map offer above it. My stereo copy was purchased in 1970, and it has the triangle picture but is missing the Freak Map ad. (My mono copy has the original layout.)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 39  Next