Zappa.com

The Official Frank Zappa Messageboards
It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: re: roxy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:27 pm 

Plook wrote:
slime.oofytv.set wrote:
jaypfunk wrote:
I can't believe the amount of fucking whining babies there are here.

That would be anywhere from $26 to $37 per disc today depending on which value scale you use, the higher is more realistic... :smoke:

Subscription to a years worth of Dave's Picks (4 complete shows, 3 discs per show, plus bonus disc...13 discs total) is $99.98. That's less than $8 per disc, plus free shipping. Roxy by proxy is almost $30 including shipping. One disc

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:33 pm 

Fuck the Grateful Dead. They mostly suck ass and Frank Zappa music is the best, so suck it up asshat. They've over-saturated their market so much they can't charge any more than that. Quality over quantity. :wink:

Post subject: re: roxy
PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 9:10 pm 

fred_zappelin wrote:
Fuck the Grateful Dead. They mostly suck ass ...
mostly¿¿

plook wrote:
That would be anywhere from $26 to $37 per disc today ...
that's what a private label vinyl lp cost these days ... point ¿

my barfko cart now has 5 items -- 4 cds & 1 brain police lp -- comes to ~$83; shipping is 9 bucks, less than 2 bucks per item, which is not a fuck of a lot more than what su'npyg cost to ship in that ad from '81 ... my order gets whacked 7¼% tax, plus $1.50 for the money order, 46¢ for a stamp; works out to a c-hair under 20 bucks per item

international shipping on the same order is $4.50 per item

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:44 am 

from theidiotbastard review of uk 200 motels:
On the Sunday before this event, the Southbank had Gail talk about her life, the 60s and Frank where she admitted that ‘Roxy By Proxy’ had not been a success, with only a handful of licenses sold.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:58 am 

LaBizzara wrote:
On the Sunday before this event, the Southbank had Gail talk about her life, the 60s and Frank where she admitted that ‘Roxy By Proxy’ had not been a success, with only a handful of licenses sold.

Big surprise.
no one but gz thought that idea would work.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:10 am 

Most people think its a good idea to actually market and "sell" a product too. This whole thing had no visibility - no information - nothing giving me any idea of what all of it was really about. Such a simple thing to do too... hey look - here is what you're paying for. But no - nothing but cryptic bullshit. Fail. No shit fail.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:36 am 

BillyDaMt wrote:
LaBizzara wrote:

Big surprise.

Trendmonger?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:38 pm 

LaBizzara wrote:

Many if not most experiments fail. Let us hope the ZFT learns something from this and continues to improve its ability to deliver new FZ product to its considerate, appreciative fan base.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 1:52 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
http://www.store.livenation.com/Product.aspx?cp=13281_16771_971_63113&pc=ZPCD167
<snip>

And get a 15% discount with CINEMARK15 promo code.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 2:12 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
Fuck the Grateful Dead. They mostly suck ass and Frank Zappa music is the best, so suck it up asshat. They've over-saturated their market so much they can't charge any more than that. Quality over quantity. :wink:

If oversaturating the market gets us multiple complete shows a year at a fair price, then hopefully ZFT follows their model.

Also, I don't think they have oversaturated the market. They sell out of all of these. And it's not like the price is cheap. It's fairly standard. It just looks cheap compared to Zappa stuff

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 3:33 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:

Harsh words, man. I can understand if they just aren't your thing, but it's a little presumptuous to simply throw out all their credibility so carelessly; aside from a fair amount of mainstream success, they had a great deal of influence on the world's musical culture, both above-ground and underground -- much like FZ (though they definitely had more "success" so to speak than FZ if ya ask me, not that it really MEANS that much)

Post subject: re: j.garcia
PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:38 pm 

buckalos wrote:
fred_zappelin wrote:
Fuck the Grateful Dead. They mostly suck ass ...
Harsh words, man...
the Imagegrateful dead appreciation thread

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 5:58 pm 

Oh good. We started a new topic to avoid Political BS, and replaced it with purely subjective opinions about music. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I actually come to this thread to see new info AND opinions about the release (since the ZFT cannot be counted on for any accurate info). Can we please keep Jerry Garcia sleeping with Ron Paul opinions elsewhere?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2013 6:09 pm 

SonofSuzyCreamcheese wrote:
BillyDaMt wrote:
LaBizzara wrote:

Big surprise.

Trendmonger?

Touché

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:09 am 

Agreed it is not a Dead list and that some FZ fans hate the Dead, but they know their fan base, and they please thenm most of the time. For example, what would it hurt to put up a few 10-second sound clips from ROXY/PROXY? No one is gonna not buy it because they could 'steal' a little sound bite. No one is going to beat them to the punch with lousy sounding boots of what they put out as official product if they release the setlist like a week before it goes on sale.

I do not care for downloads, but why couldn't there be a monthly dowload of one live song from one performance or another?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 7:45 am 

tweezers wrote:
Agreed it is not a Dead list and that some FZ fans hate the Dead, but they know their fan base, and they please thenm most of the time. For example, what would it hurt to put up a few 10-second sound clips from ROXY/PROXY? No one is gonna not buy it because they could 'steal' a little sound bite. No one is going to beat them to the punch with lousy sounding boots of what they put out as official product if they release the setlist like a week before it goes on sale.

I do not care for downloads, but why couldn't there be a monthly dowload of one live song from one performance or another?

This was my point. I'm not commenting on the Dead's music, just their delivery system of new product, which is far superior to what we get here.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:05 am 

tweezers wrote:

I wouldn't want this. Full shows or NOTHING!! Fuck a teaser.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 12:08 pm 

jaypfunk wrote:
tweezers wrote:

I wouldn't want this. Full shows or NOTHING!! Fuck a teaser.

I don't pretend to know what will sell to fans, but I do know that the day when all product can be protected from piracy by never revealing any information about the product was gone when the iPod came out. Now most bands who want to seel product have to exist in the 'modern' world and manyh do just fine.

I want full shows too jayp, but if there is any chance of attracting new FZ fans from the younger folk, you have to try to market to then in a way that they may be interested in.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:23 am 

tweezers wrote:
....I want full shows too jayp, but if there is any chance of attracting new FZ fans from the younger folk, you have to try to market to then in a way that they may be interested in.

Why the fuck would you want to do this ? The younger folk do not want to "Pay" for music. Stick with the "Old" fans. They have cash, and they still enjoy fetishing plastic disks. I thought most of the musicians these days make money by performing live, not by selling cd's. So if the musician is DEAD, how are you going to make money by selling cd's to young folk who do not want to pay for it???

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:02 am 

Good point. I'm a young fan. 22, been a fan for a few years and an obsessive for about a year. I love shiny discs and put lots of hard earned cash down for them.

Trendmonger wrote:
...and but also

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:27 am 

The_Acadian_2 wrote:
tweezers wrote:
....I want full shows too jayp, but if there is any chance of attracting new FZ fans from the younger folk, you have to try to market to then in a way that they may be interested in.

Why the fuck would you want to do this ? The younger folk do not want to "Pay" for music. Stick with the "Old" fans. They have cash, and they still enjoy fetishing plastic disks. I thought most of the musicians these days make money by performing live, not by selling cd's. So if the musician is DEAD, how are you going to make money by selling cd's to young folk who do not want to pay for it???

So once your old audience dies off, what do you do?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:57 am 

calvin2hikers wrote:
So once your old audience dies off, what do you do?

+1.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 7:58 am 

You are most likely too dead to care at that point.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:24 pm 

I, for one, hope FZ's "Finest Optional Entertainment" appeals to future generations somehow.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:41 pm 

Fred_Zappelin wrote:
so suck it up asshat.

Now there's some worthwhile conversation :roll:

Latest Fischer's Flicker press release
I Am Entertainment Magazine - 3.5/4 stars - REVIEW
Image Image

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 951 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23 ... 39  Next